BPA at 6 Most Likely Means Melvin Gordon

vincenzo69

And I don't have a problem with drafting him.  Sure it doesn't fill a need but I'm sick and tired of the Kyle Wilsons, Vernon Gholstons and Calvin Pryors.  Yes, we need a qb but so does just about every team that will be picking ahead of us so forget about Mariota or Winston.  Cooper is not falling to 6.

Alot of scouts think Gordon is the most talented player in the draft period.  He'll fall for the same reason Peterson fell in 2007 - RB isn't a highly coveted postion.  However this guy will help us win football games from day one I guarantee that.

Mike Glennon will probably be available for a mid-round pick.  That's one guy who I think could actually be a succesful qb in the NFL if he had a change of scenery.

Enough with drafting based on need.  Use free agency and the cap room to fill needs.  No more busts.

NEVER draft a RB in the 1st round. There lifespan is short, and you can find just as productive RB's in the later rounds.

If we keep drafting based solely on need we keep ending up with bust after bust like Kyle Wilson and Calvin Pryor.  We haven't had a succesful need-based pick since Brick in '06 and he was arguably BPA along with Ngata.  I'm sick and tired of passing on pro-bowl caliber players for crappy scrubs just cuz.

Melvin Gordon will have multiple pro bowls on his resume while whatever crappy OLB or Safety we take at 6 ends up on our bench.

NEVER draft a RB in the 1st round. There lifespan is short, and you can find just as productive RB's in the later rounds.

this.  UNTIL the nfl changes the rules and makes the game fun again RB's have a 5 year timespan and we are stacked at that position anyway.

You think if the Raiders and Jaguars are both going to pass up on the best WR prospect when they're trying to develop young qbs?  Fat chance he falls to 6.

why would the jaguars take a receiver? that seems to be the least of their issues...esp with Lee going into year 2.

nope if not cooper we should drop a few spots get a 3rd and go after J. Strong that way we go after a good OT that falls into the 2nd or maybe Marcus Peters falls a bit, but I think we are good at RB. and to spend a top 10 pick on a RB no way

Rule changes won't change the fact that RBs don't last long.  

The game is plenty fun now.

but they make it so the RB position is an after thought.  just 10 years ago the RB position was at it's best with guys like Curtis, Faulk, Holmes, LT 2, Bettis etc. 

The names, current ranks, and draft position of the TOP-10 current NFL running backs.

1. Demarco Murray: 1,687 yards, 11 TDs; 3rd rd (71 overall)

2. Le'Veon Bell: 1,278 yards, 7 TDs;  2nd rd (48 overall)

3. Marshawn Lynch: 1,133 yards, 10 TDs; 1st rd (12 overall)  

4. LeSean McCoy: 1,132 yards, 4 TDs; 2nd rd (53 overall)

5. Justin Forsett: 1,128 yards, 8 TDs; 7th rd (233 overall)

6. Arian Foster: 1,127 yards, 8 TDs; (Undrafted)

7. Jamaal Charles; 950 yards, 9 TDs; 3rd rd (73 overall)

8. Alfred Morris; 948 yards, 7 TDs; 6th rd (173 overall)

9. Eddie Lacy; 940 yards, 8 TDs; 2nd rd (61 overall)

10. Matt Forte; 932 yards, 6 TDs; 2nd rd (44 overall)

courtesy ESPN stats

The only other RBs, currently still in the NFL who were picked in the first round :

Mark Ingram (4th season, currently the 12th ranked RB in the NFL)

Stephen Jackson (11th season,currently the 18th ranked RB in the NFL)

Chris Johnson (7th season, currently the 24th ranked RB)

Trent Richardson (the 31st ranked RB)

Darren McFadden (the 34th ranked RB)

That's SIX total first-rounder running backs currently playing in the NFL.  One of them (Lynch) statistically ranks in the top-ten.  Two rank in the 11-20 range (Ingram and Jackson), and the other three of the first-rounders are at or below the bottom of the league coming in at 24th, 31st, and 34th respectively. 

Odds of finding the next big thing at running back in the first round are not in our favor.  They can be found all throughout (and even after) the draft, probably more so than ANY other position played in the NFL. 

Great idea. Let's waste a top ten pick on the most interchangeable position in football.

Gordon is indeed a "once in a generation" talent. Just like McFadden and Richardson were.

Gurley with two ACLs was a better prospect than Gordon. I'll take one ACL Gurley on day two over two ACL Gordon with a top 5 pick.

If Amari Cooper makes it to 6, great. Take him and dont look back. If not, beef up the O-Line.

Look at Dallas. They built a monster O-Line, and suddenly DeMarco Murray is leading the league in rushing yards, and Romo is a much improved player.

It's no coincidence that we had one of the best O-Lines in football during our back-to-back Championship Game seasons. We need to go back to following that blueprint.

Archived