BPA at 6 Most Likely Means Melvin Gordon

vincenzo69

but they make it so the RB position is an after thought.  just 10 years ago the RB position was at it's best with guys like Curtis, Faulk, Holmes, LT 2, Bettis etc. 

That's not the reason drafting RB early in the 1st is a bad idea.  They just don't last long and get hurt often.  As an added bonus you can find good ones relatively easy late in the draft or FA.

LOL @ drafting a RB #6 overall…abject lunacy.

If Amari Cooper makes it to 6, great. Take him and dont look back. If not, beef up the O-Line.

Look at Dallas. They built a monster O-Line, and suddenly DeMarco Murray is leading the league in rushing yards, and Romo is a much improved player.

It's no coincidence that we had one of the best O-Lines in football during our back-to-back Championship Game seasons. We need to go back to following that blueprint.

This is where I'm at - if Cooper's off the board, I take Peat.

Raiders are going to trade out of the #1 pick i believe.

Agreed, if Leonard Williams is not there, I think they will trade down. However the only two guys who I think teams will target moving up are Gregory and Cooper.  Washington is another team that needs a boatload of young talent and will likely look to move down.

Agreed, if Leonard Williams is not there, I think they will trade down. However the only two guys who I think teams will target moving up are Gregory and Cooper.  Washington is another team that needs a boatload of young talent and will likely look to move down.

i wonder who Al Davis would have drafted this year

The only other RBs, currently still in the NFL who were picked in the first round :

Mark Ingram (4th season, currently the 12th ranked RB in the NFL)

Stephen Jackson (11th season,currently the 18th ranked RB in the NFL)

Chris Johnson (7th season, currently the 24th ranked RB)

Trent Richardson (the 31st ranked RB)

Darren McFadden (the 34th ranked RB)

That's SIX total first-rounder running backs currently playing in the NFL.  One of them (Lynch) statistically ranks in the top-ten.  Two rank in the 11-20 range (Ingram and Jackson), and the other three of the first-rounders are at or below the bottom of the league coming in at 24th, 31st, and 34th respectively. 

Odds of finding the next big thing at running back in the first round are not in our favor.  They can be found all throughout (and even after) the draft, probably more so than ANY other position played in the NFL. 

There has to be more than that.   For instance, not that it hurts your point any, but Reggie Bush was taken #2 overall and he got 1,000 yards last year.

The only other RBs, currently still in the NFL who were picked in the first round :

Mark Ingram (4th season, currently the 12th ranked RB in the NFL)

Stephen Jackson (11th season,currently the 18th ranked RB in the NFL)

Chris Johnson (7th season, currently the 24th ranked RB)

Trent Richardson (the 31st ranked RB)

Darren McFadden (the 34th ranked RB)

That's SIX total first-rounder running backs currently playing in the NFL. One of them (Lynch) statistically ranks in the top-ten. Two rank in the 11-20 range (Ingram and Jackson), and the other three of the first-rounders are at or below the bottom of the league coming in at 24th, 31st, and 34th respectively.

Odds of finding the next big thing at running back in the first round are not in our favor. They can be found all throughout (and even after) the draft, probably more so than ANY other position played in the NFL.

Oof. McFadden and Richardson are mega mega busts

There has to be more than that.   For instance, not that it hurts your point any, but Reggie Bush was taken #2 overall and he got 1,000 yards last year.

Reggie Bush is an excellent example for why drafting a RB so high is ridiculous.  Recall when he was coming out, he was THE next big thing.  

He wasn't included on the list because this year (his 9th season in the league) he was the 72nd ranked rusher (that puts him below half a dozen QBs).

Last year he did rush for over 1,000 yards, but it was only the second time in his career doing that, and something his drafting team never got to enjoy. 

And I don't have a problem with drafting him.  Sure it doesn't fill a need but I'm sick and tired of the Kyle Wilsons, Vernon Gholstons and Calvin Pryors.  Yes, we need a qb but so does just about every team that will be picking ahead of us so forget about Mariota or Winston.  Cooper is not falling to 6.

Alot of scouts think Gordon is the most talented player in the draft period.  He'll fall for the same reason Peterson fell in 2007 - RB isn't a highly coveted postion.  However this guy will help us win football games from day one I guarantee that.

Mike Glennon will probably be available for a mid-round pick.  That's one guy who I think could actually be a succesful qb in the NFL if he had a change of scenery.

Enough with drafting based on need.  Use free agency and the cap room to fill needs.  No more busts.

Yeah, our #2 ranked run game could use a bump. How dare we are not #1?

BPA is stupid, and we're not drafting a RB.

Next.

Need based drafting has gotten us Kyle Wilson, Vernon Ghloston, Dee Milliner, Stephen Hill and Calvin Pryor the last several years. Meanwhile our two best draft picks the last 5 years by far have both been "luxury" picks Richardson and Coples. Gordon is the best rb coming out of college since Adrian Peterson and some scouts are saying he's the best player in the draft period. What happens when you evaluate a player based on talent instead of blindly filling out a depth chart which u can fill anyway with $40 mil in cap room.

Reggie Bush is an excellent example for why drafting a RB so high is ridiculous.  Recall when he was coming out, he was THE next big thing.  

He wasn't included on the list because this year (his 9th season in the league) he was the 72nd ranked rusher (that puts him below half a dozen QBs).

Last year he did rush for over 1,000 yards, but it was only the second time in his career doing that, and something his drafting team never got to enjoy.

And the Vikings took Adrian Peterson 7th overall. How'd that work out?

And I don't have a problem with drafting him. Sure it doesn't fill a need but I'm sick and tired of the Kyle Wilsons, Vernon Gholstons and Calvin Pryors. Yes, we need a qb but so does just about every team that will be picking ahead of us so forget about Mariota or Winston. Cooper is not falling to 6.

Alot of scouts think Gordon is the most talented player in the draft period. He'll fall for the same reason Peterson fell in 2007 - RB isn't a highly coveted postion. However this guy will help us win football games from day one I guarantee that.

Mike Glennon will probably be available for a mid-round pick. That's one guy who I think could actually be a succesful qb in the NFL if he had a change of scenery.

Enough with drafting based on need. Use free agency and the cap room to fill needs. No more busts.

NO!

Is Leveon Bell's production worth a top 10 pick - the answer is yes (sure, he also has a good line nowadays).  If you find a guy who can do that then draft him - AP was worth a top 10 pick.

However, you better be damn sure.

I don't think he is. The difference between Bell and what we have is not the difference between a top 10 (#6 or better) pick and what we have at other positions. Besides, you're getting a player for a top 10 pick, not the player's production that he gets with a totally different cast around him.

Put gross yardage aside, as that's mostly a factor of the number of attempts. We're #3 in the NFL in yards per attempt, at 4.7 ypa, with defenses keying on the run or a short pass.  Pittsburgh, with Bell leading the way, is #9 at 4.4 ypa.  And Roethlisberger and their passing game keeps defenses' LBers and/or safeties far more honest than Geno Smith. This also affects his effectiveness as a receiver out of the backfield. 

If you plopped Bell on this team this year we'd still be looking forward to a high draft pick in every round. It's arguable that we wouldn't have won one more game with him taking the place of what we have. We played a lot of good teams this year and Bell seems to really shine when he gets to rack up yards against below-average (if not bottom-dweller) rush defenses in Cleveland, Carolina, Tennessee, Cincy, Indy, and New Orleans. All of them give up a lot of gross yardage or net yards per attempt or both.

He's an outstanding receiver out of the backfield, but with defenses playing in against us - which they'll do until we have a QB who defenses have serious concerns about defending - he's not sniffing 700 receiving yards or 100+ targets, let alone 10 yards per catch. Just throwing it his way, and throwing it his way and hitting him in stride, before a running lane closes up, aren't the same thing.

Terrific player, who I'd love to have on the Jets, but he wouldn't be the net upgrade that we could get elsewhere with such a high pick. Plus just due to the nature of the position, it would be a short-lived upgrade at that. This is why even top FA RBs aren't bank-breakers anymore. Unless the plan is to pick well into the top 10 many times, you have to make the most of those high picks when they come up.

With a #6 overall pick, either:

- shoot for a player at a key position that would pretty much never hit free agency if he's any good (i.e. a good or better QB or beast WR, who will play for a decade). Rookie salaries being what they are not, whiffing on a QB is not as costly of a miss as it used to be with an historical bust like Russell or Leaf or a lesser bust like Sanchez or post-rookie RGIII, or even a Locker-type. Nowadays, absent the trade-up cost, drafting a QB like that would cripple a team only out of a refusal to recognize what he is (and isn't) and the resulting delay in moving on from him, rather than because he's hitting the cap at $10M/year or more every year.

- take a "safe" pick like an OT or DLman (who will also play for a decade and is pricey in FA if they even reach FA). I don't like this as much, as I'd rather trade down a bit if this is the call, but I don't think it's a tragic mistake either.

- a value pick at a need position that is ridiculously expensive and competitive in free agency (CB, pass rushing DE/LB)

RBs are available every year and it's rare that a top 10 pick is necessary to get a very good or great one. The only 1st round RB who's playing like a top RB is Lynch, and he cost Seattle a 4th not a 1st. Buffalo used a 1st on him and after a couple of not-great years they unloaded him for a 4th.

Just my opinion. Nothing against Bell, who's I'd love to have on the Jets.

Need based drafting has gotten us Kyle Wilson, Vernon Ghloston, Dee Milliner, Stephen Hill and Calvin Pryor the last several years. Meanwhile our two best draft picks the last 5 years by far have both been "luxury" picks Richardson and Coples. Gordon is the best rb coming out of college since Adrian Peterson and some scouts are saying he's the best player in the draft period. What happens when you evaluate a player based on talent instead of blindly filling out a depth chart which u can fill anyway with $40 mil in cap room.

Bullsh*t.  Bad drafting of bad players by bad GM's who buy into workout wonders, hype, and Head Coaches who get obsessive about certain types is why we have the Wilson's, Ghosts and Hill's we had.

Drafting BPA is pure, distilled, retardation.

Proof of Argument:  BPA at #6 turns out to be a D-tackle.  BPA says draft him, because BPA is a simple minded system for retards who can't do two forms of analysis at once, BPA and Team Need.

I fully expect my GM to be able to draft reasonably BPA AND a Position of need every single time.  If they can't (as Tanny, Idzik, etc. have not been able to) then they don't belong in the job.

Enjoy your DT at #6 my BPA friend.

Archived