Vick on Redskins: "Would be a dream come true"

DaBallhawk

Well, that didn't take long. Good thing he's focused. And didn't we hear this same "face of this franchise" speech last offseason? Only for him to come in here, sit back and basically quit fighting for a starting job?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/marcus-mariota-michael-vick-are-fans-of-each-other-1.9721616

"I can be the face of any franchise,'' he said. "Hopefully, there will be an opportunity for me in 2015. And that's what I'm looking forward to.''

"I'm open to playing for anybody that wants to win,'' Vick said. "But obviously, going back home, I mean, that'll be a dream come true,'' he said, smiling again. "But I would hate to get my hopes up for something that wouldn't happen. So I can't even think about it right now.''

Marcus Mariota may not know much about the Jets franchise, but the Heisman Trophy winner is a huge fan of backup quarterback Michael Vick.

And believe it or not, the feeling is mutual. "I didn't know,'' Vick told Newsday after being informed of Mariota's fandom. "But he also needs to know I'm a big fan of his as well. I've seen film of him with [former Oregon coach] Chip Kelly when I was learning his system [in Philadelphia], and I almost knew. I can look at a guy and know whether he's going to be a star in college or the NFL. I knew he would have an opportunity.''

Although Vick, a former No. 1 overall pick himself, can't support the idea of tanking the season in hopes of securing the No. 1 draft pick, he understands what the Mariota hype is all about.

"I think he has all the skills, I think he has the intangibles and the smarts to be a great quarterback in this league,'' Vick said Tuesday during a break from donating Nike sneakers to children at The Boys and Girls Club of Harlem. Whether the Jets (3-11) will have a shot at Mariota remains to be seen. But it's clear the organization will have to address the quarterback position. Geno Smith has regressed in Year 2, and Vick is on a one-year deal. The 12-year veteran conceded it's "kind of weird'' knowing fans, and perhaps members of the Jets front office, already are looking ahead to drafting a franchise quarterback. But he understands "there's always younger guys who are going to come in'' vying for opportunities.

Vick, who has spent much of this season being a vocal supporter of the struggling Smith, was allowed to start only three games before the organization turned back to Smith. Even so, Vick still believes he has the tools to be the Jets' franchise quarterback. "I can be the face of any franchise,'' he said. "Hopefully, there will be an opportunity for me in 2015. And that's what I'm looking forward to.''

While he's open to returning to New York next season, there's another NFL city also on his radar: Washington. "That's home,'' the Virginia native said, beaming like a child. "That's home for me. Don't get me excited. Don't get me excited.'' The prospect of being able to reunite with Redskins receiver DeSean Jackson also excites Vick. After he signed with the Jets in March, Vick said the pair talked about Jackson signing there as well.

"Being honest, yeah, we talked about it once I signed,'' Vick said of getting his former Eagles teammate to the Jets. "And of course, DeSean is my little brother. I'm not saying he wanted to follow me, but he also knows what type of player I am and I know how to get him the ball. "I know his speed, I know his acceleration path, I know when he's coming out of his breaks. There's nobody that knows DeSean Jackson better than me. I think he knows that, and we were just trying to position ourselves to be together again, but it didn't work out.''

Given the quarterback drama playing out in Washington, there's a chance the Redskins may choose to part ways with Robert Griffin III during the offseason. "I'm open to playing for anybody that wants to win,'' Vick said. "But obviously, going back home, I mean, that'll be a dream come true,'' he said, smiling again. "But I would hate to get my hopes up for something that wouldn't happen. So I can't even think about it right now.''

Notes & quotes: The Jets released CB Josh Thomas a day after he pleaded on Twitter for the return of his playbook and passport. The Jets signed S Rontez Miles to the active roster and added LB Mario Harvey to the practice squad.

Vick should have started.

Kind of hard to force him on the field. Our staff/FO kept telling him he's there to compete for the starting job. He was the one who kept saying no it's Geno's job, I'm just here to mentor him and back him up. No idea what went on behind closed doors but you still don't just quit like that and not compete.

Kind of hard to force him on the field. Our staff/FO kept telling him he's there to compete for the starting job. He was the one who kept saying no it's Geno's job, I'm just here to mentor him and back him up. No idea what went on behind closed doors but you still don't just quit like that and not compete.

Where does this information come from? Cause all indications say exactly the opposite. He was brought in as a backup. 

On here, reading all the information out there. Where were you? 

So why would you say he was brought in to backup Geno yet Idzik kept saying all offseason (Camp, Preseason etc.) that the job is up for grabs? Obviously you didn't "read all the information out there" that's what I'm trying to say.

buckle up boys with locker or bradford and a rookie our QB play in '15 is going to look a lot like it did this year, but maybe will at least provide some hope for the future.

I think Bradford could end up being a pretty good QB, if he can stay healthy and he gets hooked in with some consistency at OC. He went from a new one every year to Schotty Jr., and did start to look okay with Schotty. Dude needs to stop getting hurt.

I think Bradford could end up being a pretty good QB, if he can stay healthy and he gets hooked in with some consistency at OC. He went from a new one every year to Schotty Jr., and did start to look okay with Schotty. Dude needs to stop getting hurt.

I really wouldn't be too upset being the team that gave Bradford his second chance, provided we acquired a QB or two in this year's draft.  He's probably the only person on the market, if he's released, that I would actually be excited to tune into games on Sundays.  Health is a huge concern obviously, but I thought he was starting to play better ball last year.  

I really wouldn't be too upset being the team that gave Bradford his second chance, provided we acquired a QB or two in this year's draft.  He's probably the only person on the market, if he's released, that I would actually be excited to tune into games on Sundays.  Health is a huge concern obviously, but I thought he was starting to play better ball last year.  

My thoughts exactly. 

If someone like Foles or McCown came available, or even Ryan Fitzpatrick, or that kid backing up RG3 from Mich St. 

All better options than Hoyer, and immediately serviceable, especially if we take Amari in R1, and prioritize OL, secondary and LBer in FA.

My thoughts exactly. 

If someone like Foles or McCown came available, or even Ryan Fitzpatrick, or that kid backing up RG3 from Mich St. 

All better options than Hoyer, and immediately serviceable, especially if we take Amari in R1, and prioritize OL, secondary and LBer in FA.

Not big on Fitz and McCown, but I would love for us to get Foles.  (Assuming we hire a thinking GM and HC.)  I think the kid can really play.

they rarely gave Vick 1st team reps, he wasn't in a competition. If you give one guy 2 reps and the other guy 20 reps it's not a real competition. No matter what gets said publicly.

Exactly.

Idzik kept on talking competition, competition, competition. But what was happening in practice wasn't backing that up. Plus Vick had made a few statements indicating he knew he was the BU

Not big on Fitz and McCown, but I would love for us to get Foles.  (Assuming we hire a thinking GM and HC.)  I think the kid can really play.

Agreed. I don't get those that are willing to recycle jag QBs.

They're also the first fans to scream bloody murder when we're teetering around .500 

They're also the first fans to scream bloody murder when we're teetering around .500 

Yeah Fitz bugs the crap out of me.   Starts off well, then becomes a disaster.  As you said, JAG at best.  

And McCown has three good games in Chicago and the dopes give the guy a huge contract.  Nice move.  The guy was/is a ham & egger.

they rarely gave Vick 1st team reps, he wasn't in a competition. If you give one guy 2 reps and the other guy 20 reps it's not a real competition. No matter what gets said publicly.

So why would you say he was brought in to backup Geno yet Idzik kept saying all offseason (Camp, Preseason etc.) that the job is up for grabs? Obviously you didn't "read all the information out there" that's what I'm trying to say.

He received a bunch of 1st team reps in the beginning. He sucked. He sucked in preseason as well. And when you keep going public saying stuff like "I'm here to mentor Geno" of course you're not getting any more 1st team reps than you should. All that is speculation however and irrelevant. Pointman was wondering where I got this info from, that he wasn't (officially) brought in to be a backup and I told him those were Idzik's comments. Idzik said there was a QB competition. That's all. That was the biggest story in camp for weeks. The fact that these 2 went back and forth, along with Rex and Geno. Everybody kept saying the 2 are competing yet Vick kept saying the exact opposite. WHY we don't know. Either internally he was told he's here to backup Geno, or maybe he was playing mindgames. Who knows. But officially it was a competition and that's all I tried to say.

Same, but they are still better than Hoyer. You have to consider the options available, it's all relative.

Again, it's all relative.

Not to mention, recycling JAG QBs is a pretty common step in the development of a young QB. Necessary evil, if you will. 

Your last sentence doesn't apply to me.

The whole "competition" was stacked from the beginning. Last year's with Sanchez was too. Idzik pushed all in with Geno. NO way Rex wanted to start this player, given the alternatives.

From what we've seen I think it's fair to see Geno's better than Vick at this point

Archived