Schefter believes Idzik will be fired!

Seth

Just about every NFL expert disagrees with you and say he's a great DC and brilliant defensive mind. Now that doesn't make him a great HC, but calling him a below average DC is absurd.

Reputation means sh*t - look at the what's he done the past 6 years with 8 1st round draft picks on D . The NFL has great minds on every staff , they've figured out Rex Ryan and his brother while we're at it. His blitz packages and tendencies get ripped apart by mediocre QB's . When he takes the time to actually prepare for an opponent he comes up with some good games (Manning, Brady, Brees) when he goes against others he feels he doesn't need to improvise and is too stubborn to change. But again any DC with this talent can do the same.  

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree wIth this. Woody certainly likes the guy

Woody being in the locker room, and giving Rex a game ball......two games before he fires him?

Nope.

If Rex can put out competitive games, and heaven forbid win one or both (one is certainly possible), he could very well be retained, with Idzik taking the full blame this time (joining Shotty, Sparano, Tannenbaum, etc).

People will laugh it off......I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.  You don't see any fan billboards saying "Rex Must Go!" do you? 

Neither does Woody.

The vocal "Blame Idzik" contingent may have helped buy us yet another year of Rex Ryan.

Rex is the same as his twin.  We've seen this the last few years and will see if if and when he becomes a dc again.  Give him great players in most or some key positions and he'll look pretty good.  Give him some major deficiences and his D will suck, just like Rob ryan.

Who has won a Bowl with crap players??

Woody being in the locker room, and giving Rex a game ball......two games before he fires him?

Nope.

If Rex can put out competitive games, and heaven forbid win one or both (one is certainly possible), he could very well be retained, with Idzik taking the full blame this time (joining Shotty, Sparano, Tannenbaum, etc).

People will laugh it off......I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.  You don't see any fan billboards saying "Rex Must Go!" do you? 

Neither does Woody.

The vocal "Blame Idzik" contingent may have helped buy us yet another year of Rex Ryan.

I can buy this; if this was Rex surviving one GM being fired. I highly doubt he survives two. No coach has survived such change, and we will be repeating the situation we are currently in by retaining him.

You paint a very disturbing picture Warfish.

Rex is an astonishingly bad head coach the same way that Isaiah Thomas was an astonishingly bad GM for the Knicks.  If Rex is retained this time then I say he is the greatest Svengali since Svengali and Isaiah ain't got nothing on him.  You can add to that analysis that Woody is even more mentally challenged than Dolan.

Nope.

Neither does Woody.

Wow - the love the people have here for an under qualified DC. He was great when he had stacked teams in Balt and inherited a pretty good roster from Mangini/Tanny . On his own he's proven time and time again he's in way over his head , yet the hordes fall for his showmanship.

Has nothing to do with having love for him. It's a fact. This season it doesn't matter who HC this team, our record would have been similar. We need a decent OC and a GM who brings in the type of players that can make an impact. We've had great success under Rex before, more than just one season. It wasn't fluke. We can be successful with him, he's not the issue. But again, I'm not pulling for him, I'm not saying he needs to be here next year. Just saying that he's not the issue. I wouldn't mind if he returns as a DC and we hire a HC who is a proven leader. Because that's what Rex is at this point. He's being handcuffed, he doesn't have anything to say. All he does is get the defense ready. He doesn't run the offense, he can't even pick his own QB.

all the REX talk aside, there's no excuse for the 2014 draft. Anyone, a bum off the street, could have made better picks.  That's all on Idzik. 

it is not hyperbole for anyone on this board to say "i would have done a better job at the 2014 draft than idzik"

same can't be said of rex. rex is a million times better at his job than idzik. if rex is retained and idzik gets booted, Max will need to pay for extra server capacity lol

Nope.

Neither does Woody.

Did Woody give him a game ball?  I thought the team did.  Or was that a hypothetical if he gives him one this week? 

it is not hyperbole for anyone on this board to say "i would have done a better job at the 2014 draft than idzik"

same can't be said of rex. rex is a million times better at his job than idzik. if rex is retained and idzik gets booted, Max will need to pay for extra server capacity lol

As I've said before, I think they need to move on from both because as much as I love Rex, there are things he still hasn't changed about the way he runs the team that he really needs to and probably will at his next stop.  However, if Woody is going strictly on track record, Rex has done a lot more good than Idzik has in their respective positions.  Seriously...this season needs to end so the speculation can go away with it.

Nope.

People will laugh it off......I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. You don't see any fan billboards saying "Rex Must Go!" do you?

Neither does Woody.

Woody couldn't be that stupid.

Rex is a goner 6:00am on Black Monday.

As I've said before, I think they need to move on from both because as much as I love Rex, there are things he still hasn't changed about the way he runs the team that he really needs to and probably will at his next stop.  However, if Woody is going strictly on track record, Rex has done a lot more good than Idzik has in their respective positions.  Seriously...this season needs to end so the speculation can go away with it.

if you're handicapping rex being fired would pay out at -1000 he is almost certainly gone. open question on idzik

Who has won a Bowl with crap players??

No one that's who.  Which is why when we hear about Rex being a genius on the Dside of the ball we see it is flat out not true at all.  Give him 1st roudners on D for 7 or 8 years plus a hof corner or two (see his roster in Baltimore as well) and he looks good.  Take any of that away and he is bleow average to sucks.

Great coaches find a way to get a lot out of rosters that are not littered with top players.  Overrated ones like ours fall on their ass immeditaley.

if you're handicapping rex being fired would pay out at -1000 he is almost certainly gone. open question on idzik

Agreed...if Idzik stays, he's only saved by the fact that Woody may see it as equally or more embarrassing to admit such a huge mistake after just two seasons.

inherited a pretty good roster from Mangini/Tanny

He inherited a bunch of crap from Mangina outside of Revis. Any other player you'd call above average in that group? David Bowens? Ghost? Kenyon Coleman? Kris Jenkins for 7 games in 2 yrs? Washed up Shaun Ellis n Bryan Thomas? Pace? Or maybe it was Eric Barton n David Harris? Ty Law? Hank Posheat? David Barrett? Abram Elam? CB Lowery, who later turned to a safety? Which one?

How is that a pretty good roster??? They were a middle of the pack D with that "pretty good roster". Not to mention the cap issues we were in...n that too after Mangina had Revis, Mangold, Harris n Brick on rookie deals. 

Agreed...if Idzik stays, he's only saved by the fact that Woody may see it as equally or more embarrassing to admit such a huge mistake after just two seasons.

totally. we're stuck in the cycle of half changes probably and keeping idzik almost ensures a dud HC for next year. woe is life

Has nothing to do with having love for him. It's a fact. This season it doesn't matter who HC this team, our record would have been similar. We need a decent OC and a GM who brings in the type of players that can make an impact. We've had great success under Rex before, more than just one season. It wasn't fluke. We can be successful with him, he's not the issue. But again, I'm not pulling for him, I'm not saying he needs to be here next year. Just saying that he's not the issue. I wouldn't mind if he returns as a DC and we hire a HC who is a proven leader. Because that's what Rex is at this point. He's being handcuffed, he doesn't have anything to say. All he does is get the defense ready. He doesn't run the offense, he can't even pick his own QB.

Read that last line over and over and tell me how anyone can seriously want this guy back as a HC. The same thing happened with Tanny so its not the GM holding him back its Rex's lack of desire to want to be involved with the whole team , sure there are other HC's that are offensive or defensive focused but they get involved with the oppoosing  units and act as a true HC. Being a buddy with your players and telling them you got their backs does not make one a great HC and to be honest that's all Rex brings to the table. 

Great coaches find a way to get a lot out of rosters that are not littered with top players.  Overrated ones like ours fall on their ass immeditaley.

These "great coaches" don't really exist.  

There was a time, maybe 20 years ago, you could get the Parcells/Belly plus 7 other future HC coaching staff together and turn terrible players into a winning team

those days are long gone. Every successful coach, does so because he has talented players. 

There was a time, maybe 20 years ago, you could get the Parcells/Belly plus 7 other future HC coaching staff together and turn terrible players into a winning team

those days are long gone. Every successful coach, does so because he has talented players. 

Then why were you lobbying so hard last season in saying that Rex HAS to stay, and that the Jets could not find another coach like him?

Then why were you lobbying so hard last season in saying that Rex HAS to stay, and that the Jets could not find another coach like him?

Im not sure I actually said those words. But if I did, it was because Rex has value. The players play for him. He runs a defense. 

Throwing Rex away cause he's not an offensive genius is like trading Revis cause he's not a QB. 

The job of a HC is set the tone for the franchise and cheer lead. Make game plans. Set the lineup (which Idzik has prevented him from doing at the most important position).

He's not going to work miracles and turn water into wine. 

All that being said I am aware that it's been 6 years and probably time for a change. I am not optimistic that the next coach will be better. After all is said and done, Rex is the franchise leader in playoff wins. 

Im not sure I actually said those words. But if I did, it was because Rex has value. The players play for him. He runs a defense.

Throwing Rex away cause he's not an offensive genius is like trading Revis cause he's not a QB.

The job of a HC is set the tone for the franchise and cheer lead. Make game plans. Set the lineup (which Idzik has prevented him from doing at the most important position).

He's not going to work miracles and turn water into wine.

All that being said I am aware that it's been 6 years and probably time for a change. I am not optimistic that the next coach will be better. After all is said and done, Rex is the franchise leader in playoff wins.

Rex would be a great coach if the season were 1 game.

He inherited a bunch of crap from Mangina outside of Revis. Any other player you'd call above average in that group? David Bowens? Ghost? Kenyon Coleman? Kris Jenkins for 7 games in 2 yrs? Washed up Shaun Ellis n Bryan Thomas? Pace? Or maybe it was Eric Barton n David Harris? Ty Law? Hank Posheat? David Barrett? Abram Elam? CB Lowery, who later turned to a safety? Which one?

How is that a pretty good roster??? They were a middle of the pack D with that "pretty good roster". Not to mention the cap issues we were in...n that too after Mangina had Revis, Mangold, Harris n Brick on rookie deals. 

He had a solid offensive line , Trich and Thomas Jones and a drafted Shonn Greene at RB , Keller at TE all  a perfect fit for the G&P Rex wanted to run especially with a rookie QB.  Jenks was a force when healthy plus Ellis was far from washed up at that point. Harris was a tackling machine and Thomas/Pace/Devito/Pouha were certainly serviceable. He had Revis which allowed him to run his schemes on D the only way he knows how.  Plus Tanny brought in Leonhard, Scott and then Braylon mid season - so yeah the roster while far from perfect had all the pieces that allowed Rex to be comfortable in his mypoic view of football run the ball on O , blitz on D .  Problem is when the pieces started to go away ( Oline) Rex had no clue or no desire to change his schemes. 

Maybe Woody is getting the message that he goosed it by making Rex part of the package last time and doesn't want to limit the potential HC pool this time by hanging onto a guy who at best has an incomplete grade and at worst is the joke of the league after this year's draft whiff. Can't find a replacement for David Nelson in strongest WR class since maybe ever. That's a one strike and you're out kind of deal imho.

L.O.L ... yes, its hard to believe we once had as WR's on this team , the likes of David Nelson, Mardy Gilyard, Chaz Schillens, etc.  Idzik and his SCOUTS really blew this draft with those 4th round WR picks.

Also, its possible that Pryor and Amaro might not even be that good.  I wonder if REX's fingerprints are on the Pryor pick.  Probably thought he was the next Ed Reed.

Bruce Arians, injuries galore, 12th string QB, star receiver not what he was, team is still relevant.  Bellichick, freaking matt cassel as your starter and you still go 11-5.  Buffalo, a jag at QB an injuries galore at RB, haning in there.  Cleveland, horrid QBing, still hanging in there.

There are tons of coaches who with large gaping holes in their team find a way to cobble together a decent season.  As soon as the hof CB and all pro CB's disapperaned and the oline and r game suffered this team has gone into full tank.

Bruce Arians, injuries galore, 12th string QB, star receiver not what he was, team is still relevant.  Bellichick, freaking matt cassel as your starter and you still go 11-5.  Buffalo, a jag at QB an injuries galore at RB, haning in there.  Cleveland, horrid QBing, still hanging in there.

There are tons of coaches who with large gaping holes in their team find a way to cobble together a decent season.  As soon as the hof CB and all pro CB's disapperaned and the oline and r game suffered this team has gone into full tank.

rex is great and what he does. his issue has always been lack of flexibility. if he doesn't have the pieces for his system, it falls apart. he is buddy's son through and through.

Archived