is Matt Moore ( dolphins back up ) an option for us..?

ebonix

I imagine he is under contract with the dolphins.  His career numbers are better than Geno's and a lot of other Qb's.    With few options in FA

or in the Draft-- could we pry him away--?  He could probably beat out Geno for starting QB.

I imagine he is under contract with the dolphins.  His career numbers are better than Geno's and a lot of other Qb's.    With few options in FA

or in the Draft-- could we pry him away--?  He could probably beat out Geno for starting QB.

I'd be fine with Moore as a hold the fort guy if we draft somebody in rd 1.  Largely because there aren't many out there, and he would be an upgrade.

I'd be fine with Moore as a hold the fort guy if we draft somebody in rd 1.  Largely because there aren't many out there, and he would be an upgrade.

I agree. Even if the Jets manage one of the hot qb draft propects neither one should be expected to come in and start week one next season. We will still need another guy to hold us over at least a half season or so.

Moore is a FA next season. If the Fish don't re-sign him, I would certainly bring him in. I would also sign a rookie

FA in 2015

I've always like Matt Moore and wanted the Jets to go after him.

I do, however, always have concerns with guys that are content as a backup.  Moore had the opportunity to hit the open market and I'm sure he would have received some starter looks from a couple teams but he agreed to a contract to be a back up.

Maybe he doesnt think he's starting caliber? 

I agree. Even if the Jets manage one of the hot qb draft propects neither one should be expected to come in and start week one next season. We will still need another guy to hold us over at least a half season or so.

Absolutely...I think the Jets have done more than their fair share in proving that rushing these kids from day one is not the answer.

I do, however, always have concerns with guys that are content as a backup.  Moore had the opportunity to hit the open market and I'm sure he would have received some starter looks from a couple teams but he agreed to a contract to be a back up.

They gave him real money.  $8M over 2.   That is similar to what Fitzpatrick got (a little better) and not too far off McCown.  He'd have some stability and he'd be looking at replacing Tannehill in the case of injury or poor performance.  Odds were on him getting a shot.  

I like Moore as a stop gap, but I agree. I was very surprised he took the Fish deal as a back up.

They gave him real money.  $8M over 2.   That is similar to what Fitzpatrick got (a little better) and not too far off McCown.  He'd have some stability and he'd be looking at replacing Tannehill in the case of injury or poor performance.  Odds were on him getting a shot.  

I can understand that, I guess...but you'd think he'd want to be a starter.  idk.  Just seems weak. 

I like Moore as a stop gap, but I agree. I was very surprised he took the Fish deal as a back up.

I thought he had a legitimate shot at starting.  There were times he looks pretty damn good.  

I can understand that, I guess...but you'd think he'd want to be a starter.  idk.  Just seems weak. 

I thought he had a legitimate shot at starting.  There were times he looks pretty damn good.  

Which team was offering him a starting job?  Earlier this season the Fish were making noise about starting him.  There was no team handing out magical starting jobs.  

Which team was offering him a starting job?  Earlier this season the Fish were making noise about starting him.  There was no team handing out magical starting jobs.  

Never said anyone was offering him one, just you'd assume someone would have considering he's been pretty decent every chance he's got. 

Besides the Jets.

If you remember, the Jets initially supposedly passed on Vick because he wanted to start.  I get what JIF is saying, but I think that the Dolphins were a team Matt Moore could probably have started on.  Their job was as up in the air as anybody.  You knew they would give Tannehill a pretty good opportunity, but his success was no lock.  

It's interesting to me that other people also like Matt Moore.  I think he'd be a decent option for us.  I'd actually feel like we'd have a halfway decent player at the position if he were our QB.  "Halfway decent" would be a HUGE upgrade for us at QB.  The best call against having him though is Joe W. Namath's argument that we'd be a middle of the pack team that likely misses the playoffs but still gets a lousy pick (for a non-playoff team).

He should be, to me he's better than any of the other free agent QB's out there.

Bring Moore in and let him fight it out with Smith.  Then draft a QB and let him

watch and learn for a year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11128/matt-moore

I think he will get a lot of looks this off season. No way the fins can match what he will be offered this time. If the Jets draft a QB he would be the one you want starting...he helped Tannehill.

The fins gave him 4mill a year for two years. That is hard to pass up for a chance to go somewhere else where you may be cut. When him and Orton both got 4mill a year as BUs I was amazed. This is a job for these guys, most of who are going to be selling cars and houses when they can no longer play. I guess I am the same way, I rather have 8 mill in my pocket and delay free agency for two years, the kid is still only 30 YO

another thing about the guy though is that he is made of glass, and he puts the ball on the ground.

The fins gave him 4mill a year for two years. That is hard to pass up for a chance to go somewhere else where you may be cut. When him and Orton both got 4mill a year as BUs I was amazed. This is a job for these guys, most of who are going to be selling cars and houses when they can no longer play. I guess I am the same way, I rather have 8 mill in my pocket and delay free agency for two years, the kid is still only 30 YO

another thing about the guy though is that he is made of glass, and he puts the ball on the ground.

Nobody thinks Matt Moore is good. At least he'd be better than giving Brian Hoyer a 5 year deal OMFG

Now that it's completely undeniable that Jake Locker and Matt Schaub are horrible we have to move on to the next scrub qb jets fans think is the answer bc he had a good game against us 5 years ago.

Well, fair enough.  Of course, everyone has good games against us. LOL.   Seriously, there is not much out there.  Maybe 20 good QB's for 32 teams.

We are all scratching our noggins trying to come up with a scenario to help our beleaguered and beloved Jets. A better O Line and WR's will help us, but Geno

still may stink up the joint; so what can we realistically do at QB. ?

Well, fair enough.  Of course, everyone has good games against us. LOL.   Seriously, there is not much out there.  Maybe 20 good QB's for 32 teams.

We are all scratching our noggins trying to come up with a scenario to help our beleaguered and beloved Jets. A better O Line and WR's will help us, but Geno

still may stink up the joint; so what can we realistically do at QB. ?

Matt Moore is not the answer. We're better off drafting a qb and using cap room

to fix the secondary and signing Iupati to help the OL

Matt Moore is not the answer. We're better off drafting a qb and using cap room

to fix the secondary and signing Iupati to help the OL

I don't think anyone believes he is the answer. He would be good to fill the void until that qb draft pick is ready to play. He could help bring along that young talent. We have seen enough careers sabatoged by starting rookie qb's not ready to play in the NFL.

I liked Moore a lot when the fish first signed him four years ago. My only concern with him now would be that he really hasn't played in the last three years. He's certainly an option though. Anyone who's started an NFL game should be an option.

We gave Vick $5M for 1 year, which is also real money. You could argue that Vick is viewed league-wide as more valuable, but that kind of doesn't matter on a team that takes the position that he's the backup QB no matter what.

Miami gave him real money for the same reason, though. Young QB who they weren't totally sure about yet, or maybe more correctly, who hadn't yet earned having the job getting just handed to him no matter how badly he looked or played in camp or into the season. Sometimes a young QB just needs to be benched for a bit because the game is moving to fast - for a few games or possibly even for the rest of the season - and can come back stronger at some time later. If the backup QB choices are Matt Simms or Greg McElroy or Kellen Clemens or Mark Brunell or Brady Quinn, even the worst struggling QB knows there's no serious danger of losing the job.

Nobody thinks Matt Moore is good. At least he'd be better than giving Brian Hoyer a 5 year deal OMFG

I just don't see him as a guy for the jets, he gets injured too easily, fumbles way too much and likes playing in warm weather. He is a good back up, a spot starter. 

If I was the GM for the jets, I would go with 4 qbs next year. Jason Campbell as the starter, Geno as the Back up, and Draft Grayson in the 3rd and Bridge in the 4th. Get a guy like Terry Shay to work with them. Campbell is a guy who will act as a mentor and has done that and won games.

I just don't see him as a guy for the jets, he gets injured too easily, fumbles way too much and likes playing in warm weather. He is a good back up, a spot starter.

If I was the GM for the jets, I would go with 4 qbs next year. Jason Campbell as the starter, Geno as the Back up, and Draft Grayson in the 3rd and Bridge in the 4th. Get a guy like Terry Shay to work with them. Campbell is a guy who will act as a mentor and has done that and won games.

At least he is better than Jimmie Crappola

So is Geno

You mean you think both are better than a rookie from that powerhouse Eastern ILL, and that has played for 1 quarter of an NFL game. Wow, way to go out on a limb.

I'm not the one declaring Crappola the.next great QB found by BB for when Tammi hangs up her panties.

Go to your beloved patsfan site where the chowda heads already have him in Canton......

.....as they did Hoyer and Mallet

Archived