As good as JJ

Section 333

Why does this guy want everyone to hate him?

diarrhea of the mouth a large understatement.

Richardson says he's among top DL

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- One year after being named the NFL's top defensive rookie, New York Jets standout Sheldon Richardson believes he's just as good as any defensive lineman in the league, including J.J. Watt of the Houston Texans.

Sheldon Richardson

Elsa/Getty ImagesSheldon Richardson says he's just as good as any defensive lineman, including J.J. Watt.

"J.J. Watt, he's got a few more sacks than me, but it's the same type of disruption," Richardson told ESPN.com on Thursday. "He's a little more active, I'll give you that, but we have the same type of determination, same heart, same skills. He scores touchdowns, I score touchdowns."

Richardson, one of the few bright spots in the Jets' dismal season, leads the team with 6.5 sacks. He scored two rushing touchdowns in 2013, but hasn't received any offensive "touches" this year.

Watt, the 2012 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, is the favorite to win the award again. He has 16.5 sacks and five touchdowns, including three on offense. Nevertheless, Richardson considers himself among the best. In addition to Watt, he also mentioned the Detroit Lions' Ndamukong Suh and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Gerald McCoy as elite defensive linemen.

"The same people you see mentioned every day, getting big contracts, I'm on the same level," Richardson said. "I don't put them over me, I don't put them under me. Most definitely, it's the same comparison, really.

"You name it, I'll put myself up there. I'm not scared to say it. You don't get to this point not being confident. If somebody calls me cocky, oh well, they'll get over it."

Richardson, who has started every game in two seasons, said he deserves to make his first Pro Bowl. The rosters will be announced Tuesday.

"It would mean a lot to me," he said. "It would be one more step to what I'm really trying to get to -- and that's the Super Bowl. Hoisting up that trophy would mean a lot more, but being a Pro Bowler is being recognized among the top guys at my position.

"That's big in my eyes. I want to be recognized as a great, and the Pro Bowl is the way to do it."

The Jets have slipped in most defensive categories, but they're still ranked fourth against the run -- in part due to Richardson's strong play at the point of attack.

"There's nothing but upside there," defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman said. "He's a fantastic young player and he's only going to get better."

Ehh, I have no problem with this.  You don't improve year after year without the desire to be great. Kobe used to say the same thing even before he earned it.  Sure, everyone would love a super-star with a workman's approach like Watt, but he's one in a million. Sheldon is a freak and if it takes him wanting to be one of the greats for him to continuously bettering himself, so be it.  Dude still plays his ass off in the sh*tstorm of a season that this has been, I don't mind him chirping a bit. To each their own though, I know some people hate this type of talk.

Ehh, I have no problem with this. You don't improve year after year without the desire to be great. Kobe used to say the same thing even before he earned it. Sure, everyone would love a super-star with a workman's approach like Watt, but he's one in a million. Sheldon is a freak and if it takes him wanting to be one of the greats for him to continuously bettering himself, so be it. Dude still plays his ass off in the sh*tstorm of a season that this has been, I don't mind him chirping a bit. To each their own though, I know some people hate this type of talk.

good post.. so long as the man keeps playing balls to the wall he's OK with me as well..

LOLz the haters are gonna have an absolute field day in this thread!!

Rex might be fired this year, but he's going to speak thru our players for the next couple years, that's how deep engrained the stupid has become.

Eh, Sheldon spoke like this while at Mizzou and other guys on the line say absolutely nothing. Some of these guys just have big personalities and they would have them regardless of Rex being around or not. Sheldon talking about being great is probably problem #429 on our list of what's wrong with the Jets. 

Why does this guy want everyone to hate him?

diarrhea of the mouth a large understatement.

Richardson says he's among top DL

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- One year after being named the NFL's top defensive rookie, New York Jets standout Sheldon Richardson believes he's just as good as any defensive lineman in the league, including J.J. Watt of the Houston Texans.

Sheldon Richardson

Elsa/Getty ImagesSheldon Richardson says he's just as good as any defensive lineman, including J.J. Watt.

"J.J. Watt, he's got a few more sacks than me, but it's the same type of disruption," Richardson told ESPN.com on Thursday. "He's a little more active, I'll give you that, but we have the same type of determination, same heart, same skills. He scores touchdowns, I score touchdowns."

Richardson, one of the few bright spots in the Jets' dismal season, leads the team with 6.5 sacks. He scored two rushing touchdowns in 2013, but hasn't received any offensive "touches" this year.

Watt, the 2012 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, is the favorite to win the award again. He has 16.5 sacks and five touchdowns, including three on offense. Nevertheless, Richardson considers himself among the best. In addition to Watt, he also mentioned the Detroit Lions' Ndamukong Suh and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Gerald McCoy as elite defensive linemen.

"The same people you see mentioned every day, getting big contracts, I'm on the same level," Richardson said. "I don't put them over me, I don't put them under me. Most definitely, it's the same comparison, really.

"You name it, I'll put myself up there. I'm not scared to say it. You don't get to this point not being confident. If somebody calls me cocky, oh well, they'll get over it."

Richardson, who has started every game in two seasons, said he deserves to make his first Pro Bowl. The rosters will be announced Tuesday.

"It would mean a lot to me," he said. "It would be one more step to what I'm really trying to get to -- and that's the Super Bowl. Hoisting up that trophy would mean a lot more, but being a Pro Bowler is being recognized among the top guys at my position.

"That's big in my eyes. I want to be recognized as a great, and the Pro Bowl is the way to do it."

The Jets have slipped in most defensive categories, but they're still ranked fourth against the run -- in part due to Richardson's strong play at the point of attack.

"There's nothing but upside there," defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman said. "He's a fantastic young player and he's only going to get better."

One day he will be demanding Suh, Watt, McCoy type contracts

Kinda odd he doesn't honor or mention Wilkerson in that list. He isn't paid like the rest yet but he deserved a shout out.

Suh has publicly expressed his desire to play in New York for either the Giants or the Jets, to launch his "New York" profile.  We might be in a decent position to sign him as a free agent.  Even if we give him JJ Watt money ($51M guaranteed, at a little over $7M per), we could handle that with our cap space. 

Pair Sheldon with Suh, keep Coples on the line, and draft a pass rusher to develop behind Babin.  In a wide-9 (4-3) defense, that line would be crazy. 

Some of you really know how to whine hard. If you want to be considered the best you have to make some noise, to speed it up. Pro Bowl voting starts now among players and coaches, he's just trying to make sure they don't forget about him, get some attention. He knows he's not as good as Watt (yet). He knows he's not as productive as Watt. Sheldon is not delusional. That doesn't mean he can't be as good or even better than Watt is/was in the next few years, he just has that type of drive, skillset, talent and passion.

By the way he's already better than Suh and more versatile. Younger and more disciplined. If Suh get's paid 100 mil. this year, in 2 years Sheldon will be asking for more. That's only logic. Whether he's gonna get that money here is a different story, I doubt it. Especially not with Wilk on the team. We're not gonna tie up 150 mil. to two DE's when we don't even have a proven QB and with Coples waiting in the wings. One of those 3 will be gone within 2 years.

Humility - a dying concept in sports. You see the self promotion and ego every time a guy scores a t.d.  Miss the classy LT handing the ball to the ref.  Loved it when that DL hurt his knee doing a sack dance this year.  Beckham looks like a little faggot after a TD, and so does Cruz.  Remember our lousy tight end doing a dance after a TD even though we were losing with little time to play? That was embarassing.  It's the generation of "me". "I" phone, "I" pod.  Miss the 70's and 80's, when the only guy doing dances was Billy White Shoes Johnson, and then it was at least a  novelty. 

Suh has publicly expressed his desire to play in New York for either the Giants or the Jets, to launch his "New York" profile. We might be in a decent position to sign him as a free agent. Even if we give him JJ Watt money ($51M guaranteed, at a little over $7M per), we could handle that with our cap space.

Pair Sheldon with Suh, keep Coples on the line, and draft a pass rusher to develop behind Babin. In a wide-9 (4-3) defense, that line would be crazy.

IMO, this would be the best move we've made in a long time. Giants steelers or pats make that move they're geniuses... If we do it, were idiots and same ol jets according to some people.

That line would be sick. New coach, new QB and THAT move would have me pretty effin psyched.

Humility - a dying concept in sports. You see the self promotion and ego every time a guy scores a t.d.  Miss the classy LT handing the ball to the ref.  Loved it when that DL hurt his knee doing a sack dance this year.  Beckham looks like a little faggot after a TD, and so does Cruz.  Remember our lousy tight end doing a dance after a TD even though we were losing with little time to play? That was embarassing.  It's the generation of "me". "I" phone, "I" pod.  Miss the 70's and 80's, when the only guy doing dances was Billy White Shoes Johnson, and then it was at least a  novelty. 

You missed Gastineau doing his thing in the 80's???

I see...

Calling yourself one of the best... Classless.

Saying someone looks like "a little faggot"... Totally appropriate/Classy.

IMO, this would be the best move we've made in a long time. Giants steelers or pats make that move they're geniuses... If we do it, were idiots and same ol jets according to some people.

That line would be sick. New coach, new QB and THAT move would have me pretty effin psyched.

Suh would be effing awesome on our line! You would have Mo for 1 more year on his rookie contract & let them all fight it out & try to one up each other.

You could trade Mo in 2016.

What a line in a 4/3! Coples- Mo-Shelson-Suh!!!!!!!!! Holy sh*t!

You get a pair of speedy LBs to add to Davis & you could have average CBs like the Giants did in their Superbowl run.

Pray for the QBs playing behind a bad Oline!

Suh has publicly expressed his desire to play in New York for either the Giants or the Jets, to launch his "New York" profile. We might be in a decent position to sign him as a free agent. Even if we give him JJ Watt money ($51M guaranteed, at a little over $7M per), we could handle that with our cap space.

Pair Sheldon with Suh, keep Coples on the line, and draft a pass rusher to develop behind Babin. In a wide-9 (4-3) defense, that line would be crazy.

This sounds great

Can't wait for him to hold out, Revis style. 

Nothing ever wrong with a Player Holding Out. I have had zero issues with revis doing the same thing over the years

Owners break commitments every day of the year. When players have some leverage, they are smart to hold out.

Nothing ever wrong with a Player Holding Out. I have had zero issues with revis doing the same thing over the years

Owners break commitments every day of the year. When players have some leverage, they are smart to hold out.

I'm with you on this. I was upset by Revis's holdout as a fan. But had no issues with what he did. Nor will I ever begrudge a player for doing do.

Some of you really know how to whine hard. If you want to be considered the best you have to make some noise, to speed it up. Pro Bowl voting starts now among players and coaches, he's just trying to make sure they don't forget about him, get some attention. He knows he's not as good as Watt (yet). He knows he's not as productive as Watt. Sheldon is not delusional. That doesn't mean he can't be as good or even better than Watt is/was in the next few years, he just has that type of drive, skillset, talent and passion.

By the way he's already better than Suh and more versatile. Younger and more disciplined. If Suh get's paid 100 mil. this year, in 2 years Sheldon will be asking for more. That's only logic. Whether he's gonna get that money here is a different story, I doubt it. Especially not with Wilk on the team. We're not gonna tie up 150 mil. to two DE's when we don't even have a proven QB and with Coples waiting in the wings. One of those 3 will be gone within 2 years.

:rl:   Give me a f#cking break. You have to make some noise?  :rl:   Shut up and play ball.   Pro Bowl is a f#cking joke.  That is not a measure of anything when you look at the voting "process" and all the players who back out to let another guy become a "pro bowler"    Last thing ANY Jets player should be doing is pointing at their performance on this disaster of a team.

Wouldnt it be the MePhone and MePod then?    :-D

I agree.  Until players get some sort of real guaranteed contracts I dont have an issue with a guy holding out after a strong season or two.  

Eh, Sheldon spoke like this while at Mizzou and other guys on the line say absolutely nothing. Some of these guys just have big personalities and they would have them regardless of Rex being around or not. Sheldon talking about being great is probably problem #429 on our list of what's wrong with the Jets. 

Disagree.

Big personality players know how to keep their mouths shut if that is the mandate and example set by the coach. Sure, Sheldon is naturally like this, but Rex being equally as stupid enables it. 

:rl:   Give me a f#cking break. You have to make some noise?   :rl:   Shut up and play ball.   Pro Bowl is a f#cking joke.  That is not a measure of anything when you look at the voting "process" and all the players who back out to let another guy become a "pro bowler"    Last thing ANY Jets player should be doing is pointing at their performance on this disaster of a team.

Grow up, you sound like a 3 year old that still thinks Santa exists. This job is no different than any other job. And to you the Pro Bowl might be a joke, to an NFL player its a good way to drive his value up. Save your "it's all about the team, man!" talk for somebody else...

Archived