Cut cornerback: Jets never coached me

Ken Schroy

Cut cornerback: Jets never coached me

Maybe the talent void isn’t the only reason the Jets are 3-11. Recently cut defensive back Josh Thomas suggested coaching is a problem with Gang Green also.

The journeyman defensive back, who drew headlines when he had his playbook — stored in a team-issued iPad — stolen from his rental car over the weekend while he was with the team in Tennessee, said he received limited coaching in his brief stay with the Jets.

“I feel like I wasn’t given the attention necessary as far as being engaged from the coach-to-player standpoint and knowing the things I need to work on,” the 25-year-old Thomas told reporters in Detroit on Thursday, a day after being picked up by the Lions. “It became where I was there as a player and wanting and desiring some feedback that wasn’t given. So sometimes I may have been standing there with a [deer-in-the-headlights] look in my eyes trying to figure out what I needed to do.”

Oddly, Thomas, a fifth-round pick of the Cowboys in 2011, noted the Jets told him he was let go because he didn’t communicate enough with his teammates. He said his time there was unlike his experience with other NFL teams, such as the Seahawks, Panthers and even his first day with the Lions. And it wasn’t just head coach Rex Ryan or secondary coach Tim McDonald — but the entire coaching staff that operated that way.

“So at the same time, just from the past experiences, every organization operates differently — so it could be the way that the Jets operate,” he said. “I just want to be great. I want to get better every day. I look forward to enhancing something about my game every day, and [the Jets] were just more independent there.”

Thomas was picked up by the Jets on Oct. 13 — five days after he was cut by the Seahawks — in the wake of starting cornerback Dee Milliner being placed on injured reserve with a torn right Achilles tendon. He was on the team’s 53-man roster for eight weeks and was active for three games, but appeared in just one with the Jets, a Nov. 2 loss to the Chiefs in Kansas City.

He noticed a stark difference with the Lions compared to the Jets. Thomas told ESPN he received feedback and instruction every time he came to the sidelines after a play on special teams.

“It was refreshing, like, ‘Thanks for coaching me,’ ” Thomas said.

Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman didn’t have much of a response to Thomas’ biting comments.

“I don’t have a thought either way,” Thurman said. “I wish him nothing but the best. If that’s how he feels, like I said, I wish him nothing but the best.”

As for why fellow retreads Marcus Williams and Phillip Adams got action over Thomas, Thurman said, “They were playing better.”

Not only did the Jets cut Thomas the day after his playbook was taken, but he also had to pay for his stolen iPad and charger. His passport was also taken. Now that he’s in a winning situation in Detroit, he doesn’t mind.

“At least it’s a tax writeoff,” Thomas said.

Pfft... good grief already with this coaching staff. I'm so glad they ruined this season weeks ago, so that it has literally no impact on my mood through the holidays. 

This is going to be one very entertaining off-season, for better or worse.

This dumb **** couldn't even pay attention to his playbook/IPAD. You're a no talent practice squad player. Our coaches have other stuff to worry about, coaching up guys who switch back and forth from safety to corner, coaching up a bunch of other backups that have to step up and be starters. Guys higher on the depth chart get more attention, they have to. Of course. Stop whining.

Contrary to his claims, Josh's stint with the Jets was exactly the same as with every other team.  The scrub was cut.  Pretty simple story of a no talent who wishes he was great.  A lifetime of playing the game, including 4 years of chances in the NFL, and this mook blames lack of coaching for his own, personal failure?  Losing the playbook alone should have gotten him deported.

This dumb **** couldn't even pay attention to his playbook/IPAD. You're a no talent practice squad player. Our coaches have other stuff to worry about, coaching up guys who switch back and forth from safety to corner, coaching up a bunch of other backups that have to step up and be starters. Guys higher on the depth chart get more attention, they have to. Of course. Stop whining.

Perhaps this is why this team is so unsound funamenatally at times, undisciplined and have rarely been able to groom players to move up the depth chart like so many other teams do.  Just a terrible coaching staff all around.  Rex's loyalty at times just down grades his legacy as a head coach.

Contrary to his claims, Josh's stint with the Jets was exactly the same as with every other team.  The scrub was cut.  Pretty simple story of a no talent who wishes he was great.  A lifetime of playing the game, including 4 years of chances in the NFL, and this mook blames lack of coaching for his own, personal failure?  Losing the playbook alone should have gotten him deported.

That is all true, which also does not change a thing about what he said.  We have an awful coaching staff from top to bottom, perhaps Dunbar is a lone shining light, other than that this teams coaches collectively stink.

Perhaps this is why this team is so unsound funamenatally at times, undisciplined and have rarely been able to groom players to move up the depth chart like so many other teams do.  Just a terrible coaching staff all around.  Rex's loyalty at times just down grades his legacy as a head coach.

I don't doubt that overall our coaching staff just stinks with Karl Dunbar being the exception. But come on, you're a practice squad type player. Thurman has his hands full trying to coach up all the other guys that actually play on defense. Thomas won't get the same attention 99% of the DB's in the NFL get. He just won't. If he actually shows them something that they can work with, something that would make them see more than just a special teams type guy in him, that would change. So all he has to look at is himself. That said something positive can come out of all this because I don't think Thurman is doing a good job either. Our DB's sucked this year, they sucked last year. They don't create turnovers, there's too many blown coverage, there's no chemistry. Part of that can be blamed on injuries and stuff like that but not all of it. I just wish Stephen Hill would do the same and call out Sanjay Lal. That clown better not be back next year. If he's not back with us he's done in the NFL. There's no way anybody hires that guy except for us of course.

not surprising. Most of the coaching staff is made up of losers and/or Rex's drinking buddies. Weeks is only being paid because he is rex's best friend (read collision low crossers). Thurman will prob not get a job anywhere else, same with most of the others. Dunbar is the exception, he is solid and I would not mind him being kept on. The rest can go out the door with Rex.

You've already made it to the NFL. You don't need to be taught how to play.

NOT TRUE! Haven't you noticed how many times the O-Line false starts in crucial situations? The D-Line jumps off sides on 3rd and 3 on a hard count? That the Jets NEVER recover a fumble or catch thr gifted interception? Has a WR ever improved on this team? The Jets commit blocks in the back right in front of the officials on every other kick/punt return? Etc....etc... That is why they do need coaching and practice!

NOT TRUE! Haven't you noticed how many times the O-Line false starts in crucial situations? The D-Line jumps off sides on 3rd and 3 on a hard count? That the Jets NEVER recover a fumble or catch thr gifted interception? Has a WR ever improved on this team? The Jets commit blocks in the back right in front of the officials on every other kick/punt return? Etc....etc... That is why they do need coaching and practice!

So I guess must be the most penalized team in the league then. Every time I watch a game I see the same stuff from just about every team.

With good coaching, this guy could have become the next Cromartie. You know, the Cromartie of 2013? League worst Cromartie. Such talent n still couldn't become a part of a hot steaming pile of sh*t we call secondary around here

They need talent first.

Not for nothing, Revis did excell under this regime, and guys like Drew Coleman who sucked pre Rex became solid role players.

Not trying to be a total homer.....but living in MA I was listening to sports talk the other day and they complained that despite all the high picks the Pats have used on their secondary (mainly second rounders) they failed to develop good corners and it was obvious when watching the all 22 tape that home grown CBs play a different, ineffective technique compared to guys they bring in like Revis and Browner.

Fvck the Pats. That is all.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That is all true, which also does not change a thing about what he said.  We have an awful coaching staff from top to bottom, perhaps Dunbar is a lone shining light, other than that this teams coaches collectively stink.

He could be cut by every team in the NFL and you would say the Kids right the Jets staff sucks.. :animal0029:

you couldn't be more off base. if we had a superstar secondary with established veterans like we did a few years ago then I can understand a JAG like this being neglected. But when our secondary is the biggest joke in professional football we should be working out anyone and everyone available... and if we decide to actually sign them our coaches should be all over them evaluating and trying to get everything we possibly can out of them. That's why they are paid from the money we provide as fans.

You are obviously satisfied with what these defensive coaches have served up this year since you are defending them.

I'm also disgusted by Thurmans response. He basically said, "who cares?" And that's how his defense has played. Thuman is the biggest joke coordinator in the NFL. Rex's piss boy with a fancy title. Maybe when Rex is working for ESPN our genius defensive coordinator can be his chauffer and drive him to the studio.  

can you name 5 players the Jets coaching staff have developed? And I won't even mention offensive players (god forbid our head coach could have any impact on our offense), just defense.  I'll give you Harrison to start you off. He came out of nowhere and is a dominate force. I'll give you another, Demario Davis. 3rd rounder who has flourished. It's been 6 years... I got 2 PLAYERS, you name the other 3

OK, continue.....

If you can't even name 5 defensive players we have developed in 6 years, wouldn't you agree there may be some issues with the coaching staff?

(and don't mention Richardson/ Wilkerson... they were NFL ready from day 1... that's why they were drafted so high.)

can you name 5 players the Jets coaching staff have developed? And I won't even mention offensive players (god forbid our head coach could have any impact on our offense), just defense.  I'll give you Harrison to start you off. He came out of nowhere and is a dominate force. I'll give you another, Demario Davis. 3rd rounder who has flourished. It's been 6 years... I got 2 PLAYERS, you name the other 3

OK, continue.....

If you can't even name 5 defensive players we have developed in 6 years, wouldn't you agree there may be some issues with the coaching staff?

(and don't mention Richardson/ Wilkerson... they were NFL ready from day 1... that's why they were drafted so high.)

Dude, you're making it sound like I'm defending our horrible coaching staff here. I'm with you, the coaching stinks. Karl Dunbar is the exception. And while he hasn't generated a thousand Snacks type success stories, basically all our D-Line players are playing up to their ability & then some. He gets the most out of all those players, no matter how little (mental/physical) talent they have. Douzable is a career backup, but here he's a damn good one. Snacks is a great starter. Ellis can be Pro Bowl worthy if he stays healthy. Coples, Wilk, Mo. Barnes is developing quite nicely. IK is doing great. Babin...he's old but still gets the job done when everyone else thought he shouldn't even be in the league. The rest of the players, the rest of the squad is pretty much underachieving. So please stop making it sound like I'm happy with our coaching staff. They all should be fired except for Karl Dunbar. My point is just that this Josh Thomas goofball should look at himself. He will never get the attention/coaching other corners are getting. He's a career special teamer, there's no point in teaching him the little nuances of your defense and stuff like that when the guy isn't even supposed to play defense. And when this idiot loses his playbook it just makes things worse. To come out a couple days later and basically make the Jets sound like the bad guy...how do you have respect for somebody like that. I don't. **** him.

Archived