Rex Ryan’s sad lament: I needed a Tom Brady

Ken Schroy

Rex Ryan’s sad lament: I needed a Tom Brady

By George Willis

December 18, 2014 | 10:58pm

There was a time when the Patriots were the target, an evil empire that had been conquered. These days, Rex Ryan looks at the Patriots with envy more than anything else, especially when it comes to playing against Tom Brady.

Entering what most believe are his final days as the Jets’ head coach, Ryan guards his words knowing they are being dissected for signs of resignation, anger, frustration and even sadness. What the embattled coach offered on Thursday was his theory on why the Pats have been so consistently good, having clinched their sixth straight AFC East title.

“Brady is a huge reason for it,” Ryan said. “It’s obviously a very successful system. But I think having that consistency at the quarterback position probably makes it a little easier than maybe other teams have gone through. I’ll just leave it at that.”

A few years ago, there would have been a touch of sarcasm in Ryan’s voice. Instead, there was respect for how Brady and the Patriots (11-3) have maintained a standard of excellence while the Jets are struggling through a 3-11 season. They meet Sunday at MetLife Stadium in what could be Ryan’s final game against his division rival.

“You know they’re the ones to beat,” Ryan said.

The Patriots are going to the playoffs again, while Ryan likely will be looking for work on another sideline or in a television booth. If he couldn’t fully understand how instability at quarterback can wreck a season and a franchise when he was a defensive coordinator, he knows now as a head coach.

If Mark Sanchez had improved on his first two seasons. when he lead the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games, and became the franchise quarterback he was drafted to be, Ryan wouldn’t be getting fired. If Geno Smith were not the turnover machine he has been over his first two seasons, then maybe the Jets and Patriots are playing for something on Sunday. Heck, if even Michael Vick had given the team some kind of spark, maybe Ryan would have survived another year. Instead, the Jets will be searching for a new head coach largely because they still are searching for a quarterback.

Not all of it is Ryan’s fault. He made a poor choice in hiring Tony Sparano as offensive coordinator in 2012 to replace Brian Schottenheimer. Sparano had signed a three-year deal but was fired after one season in which the Jets’ offense ranked 30th out of 32 teams. But then Ryan hired Marty Mornhinweg, a proven offensive mind who had success calling offenses for the 49ers and Eagles. Ryan has left the offense and the development of Smith in Mornhinweg’s capable hands, but that hasn’t worked either.

The common thinking is Smith was asked to do too much too soon. The instant success Colts quarterback Andrew Luck and Seattle Super Bowl winner Russell Wilson have enjoyed has made everyone impatient with the development of quarterbacks.

“Most guys it takes a little bit of time to develop them into where you can have this vast playbook,” Ryan said.

The Jets’ situation has regressed to the point where it’s unclear whether Ryan and Mornhinweg are on the same page. Mornhinweg sounded on Thursday like he would have preferred to have passed the ball more, but was pressed to call more of a running attack because of “the way we’re built and trying to take care of the ball a little bit better.” Yet, he countered with, “Certainly, the passing game, you’ve got to get that going at some point to win on a consistent basis.”

As coaches and teachers, neither Ryan nor Mornhinweg has given up on Smith, understanding there are no other options at this point.

“Geno has played some fine games, including last week,” Mornhinweg said of the Jets’ 16-11 victory over the Titans. “His challenge is to play at a high level on a consistent basis.”

It all would be different if the Jets could have developed a quarterback close to a Tom Brady. I’ll just leave it at that.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same dumbass that stood behind an obvious screw up like Sanchez, vouched for Tebow and never exerted his authroity to get a vet QB.

He should have forgotten about a Brady like player and insisted on a decent hold the fort Vet Qb his 1st couple of years and they may have had a better chance at the super bowl.  Still, amazing he actually even knows who plays Qb for our team.

Where does it say he needed Tom Brady?  He said its easier to win when you have a consistency at the most important position in all of sports.  Its kind of duh, no?

Bill Belichick was an absolute disaster as a Head Coach before Tom Brady.  Go figure.

The same dumbass that stood behind an obvious screw up like Sanchez, vouched for Tebow and never exerted his authroity to get a vet QB.

He should have forgotten about a Brady like player and insisted on a decent hold the fort Vet Qb his 1st couple of years and they may have had a better chance at the super bowl.  Still, amazing he actually even knows who plays Qb for our team.

Vouched for Tebow by starting Greg McElroy above him? 

By George Willis

There was a time when the Patriots were the target, an evil empire that had been conquered. These days, Rex Ryan looks at the Patriots with envy more than anything else, especially when it comes to playing against Tom Brady.

Entering what most believe are his final days as the Jets’ head coach, Ryan guards his words knowing they are being dissected for signs of resignation, anger, frustration and even sadness. What the embattled coach offered on Thursday was his theory on why the Pats have been so consistently good, having clinched their sixth straight AFC East title.

“Brady is a huge reason for it,” Ryan said. “It’s obviously a very successful system. But I think having that consistency at the quarterback position probably makes it a little easier than maybe other teams have gone through. I’ll just leave it at that.”

A few years ago, there would have been a touch of sarcasm in Ryan’s voice. Instead, there was respect for how Brady and the Patriots (11-3) have maintained a standard of excellence while the Jets are struggling through a 3-11 season. They meet Sunday at MetLife Stadium in what could be Ryan’s final game against his division rival.

“You know they’re the ones to beat,” Ryan said.

The Patriots are going to the playoffs again, while Ryan likely will be looking for work on another sideline or in a television booth. If he couldn’t fully understand how instability at quarterback can wreck a season and a franchise when he was a defensive coordinator, he knows now as a head coach.

If Mark Sanchez had improved on his first two seasons. when he lead the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games, and became the franchise quarterback he was drafted to be, Ryan wouldn’t be getting fired. If Geno Smith were not the turnover machine he has been over his first two seasons, then maybe the Jets and Patriots are playing for something on Sunday. Heck, if even Michael Vick had given the team some kind of spark, maybe Ryan would have survived another year. Instead, the Jets will be searching for a new head coach largely because they still are searching for a quarterback.

Not all of it is Ryan’s fault. He made a poor choice in hiring Tony Sparano as offensive coordinator in 2012 to replace Brian Schottenheimer. Sparano had signed a three-year deal but was fired after one season in which the Jets’ offense ranked 30th out of 32 teams. But then Ryan hired Marty Mornhinweg, a proven offensive mind who had success calling offenses for the 49ers and Eagles. Ryan has left the offense and the development of Smith in Mornhinweg’s capable hands, but that hasn’t worked either.

The common thinking is Smith was asked to do too much too soon. The instant success Colts quarterback Andrew Luck and Seattle Super Bowl winner Russell Wilson have enjoyed has made everyone impatient with the development of quarterbacks.

“Most guys it takes a little bit of time to develop them into where you can have this vast playbook,” Ryan said.

The Jets’ situation has regressed to the point where it’s unclear whether Ryan and Mornhinweg are on the same page. Mornhinweg sounded on Thursday like he would have preferred to have passed the ball more, but was pressed to call more of a running attack because of “the way we’re built and trying to take care of the ball a little bit better.” Yet, he countered with, “Certainly, the passing game, you’ve got to get that going at some point to win on a consistent basis.”

As coaches and teachers, neither Ryan nor Mornhinweg has given up on Smith, understanding there are no other options at this point.

“Geno has played some fine games, including last week,” Mornhinweg said of the Jets’ 16-11 victory over the Titans. “His challenge is to play at a high level on a consistent basis.”

It all would be different if the Jets could have developed a quarterback close to a Tom Brady. I’ll just leave it at that.

Where did Rex say "I needed a Tom Brady" as the title suggests? I must have missed it.

Vouched for Tebow by starting Greg McElroy above him? 

Rex was adamant about it. He was all like, "oh I don't just like Tebow, I LOVE Tebow!" Remember!?!?

Also, here's the list of 2009 and 2010 FA QBs:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2009QB.php

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010QB.phphttp://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010QB.php

By George Willis

“Brady is a huge reason for it,” Ryan said. (1) “It’s obviously a very successful system. But I think having that consistency at the quarterback position probably makes it a little easier than maybe other teams have gone through. I’ll just leave it at that.”

A few years ago, there would have been a touch of sarcasm in Ryan’s voice. Instead, there was respect for how Brady and the Patriots (11-3) have maintained a standard of excellence while the Jets are struggling through a 3-11 season. They meet Sunday at MetLife Stadium in what could be Ryan’s final game against his division rival. “You know they’re the ones to beat,” Ryan said.

Not all of it is Ryan’s fault. He made a poor choice in hiring Tony Sparano as offensive coordinator in 2012 to replace Brian Schottenheimer. Sparano had signed a three-year deal but was fired after one season in which the Jets’ offense ranked 30th out of 32 teams. But then Ryan hired Marty Mornhinweg, a proven offensive mind who had success calling offenses for the 49ers and Eagles. (2) Ryan has left the offense and the development of Smith in Mornhinweg’s capable hands, but that hasn’t worked either.

The common thinking is Smith was asked to do too much too soon. (3) The instant success Colts quarterback Andrew Luck and Seattle Super Bowl winner Russell Wilson have enjoyed has made everyone impatient with the development of quarterbacks.

It all would be different if the Jets could have developed a quarterback close to a Tom Brady. I’ll just leave it at that. (4)

1. Belichick's coaching is a huge reason Tom Brady - a late 6th round nobody - became a household-name HOF superstar.

2. If you look past the smoke and mirrors, you'll see Mornhinweg's resume is all foam and no beer. In SF, Marty inherited a star-studded HOF offense that could run itself on autopilot. Young, Rice, Stokes, Owens, Hearst, etc. Steve Young was already a 5-time Pro Bowler, 3-time Super Bowl winner, and a SB MVP before Mornhinweg's dopey ass arrived. Four years later, after tanking two consecutive seasons, MM left SF with the paint peeling and yard full of weeds - just like he did in Philly when 4-12 got Reid and himself fired. Mornhinweg was also the worst HC in Lions franchise history (5-27), and was 6 for 18 on Coaches' Challenges. That means he was wrong twice as many times as he was right. That's full-speed Moronville, Marty.

3. The "too much on Geno's plate" excuse is simply Mornhinweg's way of putting himself on a pedestal while reducing Geno as a QB.

4. Amen. See #1 above. 

God. I now see why there are many college basketball coaches. If you can recruit decent players than your career isn't attached to finding one golden ticket.

Perhaps, but you are also 100 % responsible for the talent you bring in.  With the playoff system installed the pressure is about to be ratcheted up.  Not to mention, you're depending on 18-22 yr old alpha dogs behaving themselves off the field or else you're quickly out of a job.

Perhaps, but you are also 100 % responsible for the talent you bring in. With the playoff system installed the pressure is about to be ratcheted up. Not to mention, you're depending on 18-22 yr old alpha dogs behaving themselves off the field or else you're quickly out of a job.

Yeah. Wish you hadn't mentioned the alpha dog part, had a little problem with that around here.....

Where does it say he needed Tom Brady?  He said its easier to win when you have a consistency at the most important position in all of sports.  Its kind of duh, no?

Bill Belichick was an absolute disaster as a Head Coach before Tom Brady.  Go figure.

Exactly. Walsh needed a Montana, Shanahan needed an Elway, Bellichick needed a Brady, Mccarthy needed a Rodgers, Payton needed a Brees. I love Rex, but he had his chance to make it work, he didn't so he deserves to get fired just Belichick in Cleveland. 

Rex would make a great fit in Atlanta and could win a Super Bowl with them. 

Brady is NO God. He has not won a Super Bowl in 10 years. Please, they will be one and done in the playoffs.

However I always love when they lose in the SUPER BOWL.

You think they'll lose to the Bengals or Steelers at home?  Don't see it.  They may lose to Denver in the AFC Title game.  Small chance they lose to Indy.  Don't see anyone else knocking them off.

For rex to coach a winner he would have to have Brady as his starter with Peyton Manning number two and Aaron Rodgers as the number three. THEN he might go 9-7. For real, Rex could f-up a wet dream. He would waste a timeout at the point of no return.

Exactly. Walsh needed a Montana, Shanahan needed an Elway, Bellichick needed a Brady, Mccarthy needed a Rodgers, Payton needed a Brees. I love Rex, but he had his chance to make it work, he didn't so he deserves to get fired just Belichick in Cleveland. 

Rex would make a great fit in Atlanta and could win a Super Bowl with them. 

Heh Rex is already auditioning for the Pats DC job

I mean, Rex has been pretty consistent in the way he's handled his QBs.

^ got beat up / teased / bullied by a guy just like Rex in high school and college. Still not over it

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah

(Deep breath)

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah

^ him too, but he's been in college for 14 years working on his 3rd phd so the wounds are deeper. T0mShane dropped out Jr year to open a BetaMax rental business

^ got beat up / teased / bullied by a guy just like Rex in high school and college. Still not over it

^ him too, but he's been in college for 14 years working on his 3rd phd so the wounds are deeper. T0mShane dropped out Jr year to open a BetaMax rental business

Yep.  And they ran with a crew of John Idzick's, hence their unwavering devotion to him despite the fact he's an utter failure. 

I don't see the issue with this. He's had absolute crap at QB and as a result, he's had a mediocre run here. It could've been worse.

Dingbats were lauding Chip Kelly as a king maker / genius 4 months ago, how's that looking now with poo at QB and losing a dynamic threat on the outside? He looks up to Rex in terms of accomplishments in his first 2 years, way up.

I can probably think of a small handful of coaches who can win consistently without a top QB, and even someone like Parcells you have to wonder if he still could. The game has slanted so much towards the passing game that it might be all but impossible without the right guy under center. 

Yep.  And they ran with a crew of John Idzick's, hence their unwavering devotion to him despite the fact he's an utter failure. 

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that lol. The Rex's of the world were going to parties and getting laid as the Idzik's/Shane's of the world were home playing D&D and contemplating suicide. 

I don't see the issue with this. He's had absolute crap at QB and as a result, he's had a mediocre run here. It could've been worse.

Dingbats were lauding Chip Kelly as a king maker / genius 4 months ago, how's that looking now with poo at QB and losing a dynamic threat on the outside? He looks up to Rex in terms of accomplishments in his first 2 years, way up.

I can probably think of a small handful of coaches who can win consistently without a top QB, and even someone like Parcells you have to wonder if he still could. The game has slanted so much towards the passing game that it might be all but impossible without the right guy under center. 

All very true...but it's Rex's fault the QB sucks, remember?  He's the reason why Geno missed a wide-open Kerley in the endzone yesterday, Rex is the reason Geno threw the back breaking/game losing pick yesterday and Rex also took the 15 yard sack that pushed his kicker out of FG yesterday. Those things are all Rex's fault because he cant "develop" a QB.  This dates back to Mark too.  Guy just cant figure out the QB and its his fault.  The talent has been there.  You know, the way Chip Kelly has saved Mark's career...we need that type of a Head Coach.

All very true...but it's Rex's fault the QB sucks, remember?  He's the reason why Geno missed a wide-open Kerley in the endzone yesterday, Rex is the reason Geno threw the back breaking/game losing pick yesterday and Rex also took the 15 yard sack that pushed his kicker out of FG yesterday. Those things are all Rex's fault because he cant "develop" a QB.  This dates back to Mark too.  Guy just cant figure out the QB and its his fault.  The talent has been there.  You know, the way Chip Kelly has saved Mark's career...we need that type of a Head Coach.

Look how a real coach like Pettine has developed Johnny Footballz. 

Archived