Rex to Falcons?

Gastineau Lives

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8357/rex-ryan

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports a "couple of sources" reiterated that Rex Ryan to the Falcons as their head coach "seems natural."

This isn't the first time we've read a Rex-to-Atlanta rumor. Ryan interviewed for the head-coaching job that Mike Smith eventually got in 2008. Now, Smith is likely done. The Falcons recently made the switch to a 3-4 defense. And while the offense is in fine shape only needing a piece here or there, the defense needs an overhaul. Nobody has ever doubted Ryan's coaching ability. He just needs to find the right guy to run the offense. Cole reports the Falcons would try to keep OC Dirk Koetter in place for 2015.

The fact that the offense needs a piece here and there is one BIG reason not to let Rex anywhere near the decision of who to bring in. The Jets thought that in 2011 didn't they? Just a piece or two here and there - and look what happened. I hope Rex DOES get a HC job elsewhere, so that the fans in that town can feel my pain.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What no one is considering us that their nay only be 2 openings. Now I'm sure there may be some surprises but there's not gonna be a 25% turnover.

Hell if Harbaugh goes to Michigan, Rex can unite with his Ole buddy Sporano.

Good Times.

That would be one good way to reduce the Raiders even further. They could challenge Detroit's 0-16 mark for sure.

Even as a DC, his act is not gonna fly. He and his brother have both spoiled that well. Between the 2 of them they have pissed off a lot of coaches, GMS, and franchises. The Jints need a DC,and there is no way in hell they would bring him in. Nobody wants an assistant who's a total loose cannon. And especially one that threw three OCs under the bus to save his own ass. DOn't think that goes over really big in the fraternity of coaches. And worse than even that,the RYan defenses wilt when it matters.The "defensive genius thing only works if they have superior talent-Revis, Ware, Ngata. Oh, you're gonna blitz again? Quick hit over the middle, blitz gets beat again.

I agree.  In todays NFL, I believe REX is an average Defensive mind. Average is good.   But to think he has some superior talent not found in the league is simply absurd.   He is a players coach, they talk him up BUT his D is below 500, has given up more long drives than I can list.

It wouldn't suprise me if he ended up in Miami if Philbin is fired apparently Ross loves Rex. Wheteher that is true or not I have no idea but there is a lot of talk down here of either Harbaugh or Rex. I hate the Dolphins!!

I hate the Dolphins too, so I am ALL FOR Rex coaching there. Won't have to worry about them for long. It only took Rex two years to tear things down in NY, and I'm sure he can turn Tannyhill into Geno in one year. I am confident he can.

Even as a DC, his act is not gonna fly. He and his brother have both spoiled that well. Between the 2 of them they have pissed off a lot of coaches, GMS, and franchises. The Jints need a DC,and there is no way in hell they would bring him in. Nobody wants an assistant who's a total loose cannon. And especially one that threw three OCs under the bus to save his own ass. DOn't think that goes over really big in the fraternity of coaches. And worse than even that,the RYan defenses wilt when it matters.The "defensive genius thing only works if they have superior talent-Revis, Ware, Ngata. Oh, you're gonna blitz again? Quick hit over the middle, blitz gets beat again.

I think this is true, but I also think it'll be really telling to see what happens with both Rex and Rob (assuming Rob is fired by Payton). You always hear the glad-handing about Rex from other coaches, but when it comes time to lay the money on the line to hire him, who's going to do that? Even when Billick discusses Rex, it sounds like he's talking about a prodigal son who got kicked out of the house and now lives under a bridge somewhere.

After a 3-13 season... Rex is no hot commodity.  The League knows he's just a bull..   artist.  The talking heads

on sports Tv always praise him. But he's really not done much here. The early success was with Mangini players.

This is the bullsh*t that never ends. The only player Mangini ever won with was Brett Favre, and he wasn't one of the Mangini players that Rex inherited. Without a healthy Brett Favre, the Jets were 5-16 over Mangini's last two years. Yeah, that was some powerhouse roster.

Meanwhile, the great satan that is Rex Ryan won as many playoff games in his first two seasons as the franchise had won in the previous 25 years - and he did that with Mark Sanchez at QB! Yes, it's time for the man to go, but this belief that it can only get better from here is completely misguided. It can easily get worse. The history of this team tells us that's usually the case.

This is the bullsh*t that never ends. The only player Mangini ever won with was Brett Favre, and he wasn't one of the Mangini players that Rex inherited. Without a healthy Brett Favre, the Jets were 5-16 over Mangini's last two years. Yeah, that was some powerhouse roster.

Meanwhile, the great satan that is Rex Ryan won as many playoff games in his first two seasons as the franchise had won in the previous 25 years - and he did that with Mark Sanchez at QB! Yes, it's time for the man to go, but this belief that it can only get better from here is completely misguided. It can easily get worse. The history of this team tells us that's usually the case.

Please stop this "Rex is a great playoff HC".

First off, if the Colts and Bengals don't sit their starters in 2009, he doesn't even sniff the playoffs. That would be 5 out of 6 years with non-winning, non-playoff seasons.

Second, if the Chargers All-Pro kicker doesn't miss 3 chip shot FG's, the Jets were one and done.

Rex was the beneficiary of unique circumstances in 2009, not some great playoff HC.

First off, if the Colts and Bengals don't sit their starters in 2009, he doesn't even sniff the playoffs. That would be 5 out of 6 years with non-winning, non-playoff seasons.

Second, if the Chargers All-Pro kicker doesn't miss 3 chip shot FG's, the Jets were one and done.

Rex was the beneficiary of unique circumstances in 2009, not some great playoff HC.

Yeah, the Jets are the only team to ever benefit from a little post-season luck.

*coughtuckrulecough*

And if BB doesn't cheat for 8 seasons and Walt Coleman doesn't make the worst call in NFL history, the Douches never win a single SB

If you only count legitimate untainted ones they still haven't won one in 54 full seasons

The referees don't make that asinine call that Brady didn't fumble the ball against the Raiders the Patriots don't win the 2001 Super Bowl.

So the f*ck what.

We'll see if Rex gets another shot to be a head coach immediately.  I think he ends up getting a defensive coordinator gig somewhere.  The Colts could use Rex as a DC their defense is soft.  I really hope he doesn't sell out and go to ESPN he's too good to be debating football with clowns like Stephen A. Smith and Tony Kornheiser.

10-6 with Chad cough.

And if BB doesn't cheat for 8 seasons and Walt Coleman doesn't make the worst call in NFL history, the Douches never win a single SB

If you only count legitimate untainted ones they still haven't won one in 54 full seasons

Wake me up when the NFL takes away all the Pats Super Bowl titles, then I will agree with you.

In the meantime, stop crying about how successful the Pats have been and focus on how many more years the Jets will remain in the AFCE basement.

Wake me up when the NFL takes away all the Pats Super Bowl titles, then I will agree with you.

In the meantime, stop crying about how successful the Pats have been and focus on how many more years the Jets will remain in the AFCE basement.

Which mod is logged in on this username today?

what does John Fox know about offense? What does Pete Carroll know about offense?

There are plenty of successful teams with defensive HCs.

all of you guys who hate Rex, or whatever, don't blind yourself to the HC market. It's supply and demand and these guys are in short supply.

Im not saying Rex is the best ever and should stay forever. What I am saying is he will have a HC job waiting for him, if he wants it. If he doesn't he will take Woody's money to not coach and ESPN's money to be a loudmouth, get back into the HC market in 2016.

If you guys think Rex will never be a HC again... ill take the other side of that bet.

Betting against never means you don't have to pay. Make me a real market or shut up.

what does John Fox know about offense? What does Pete Carroll know about offense? 

There are plenty of successful teams with defensive HCs. 

all of you guys who hate Rex, or whatever, don't blind yourself to the HC market. It's supply and demand and these guys are in short supply. 

Im not saying Rex is the best ever and should stay forever. What I am saying is he will have a HC job waiting for him, if he wants it. If he doesn't he will take Woody's money to not coach and ESPN's money to be a loudmouth, get back into the HC market in 2016. 

If you guys think Rex will never be a HC again... ill take the other side of that bet.

Agreed...except, my experience here in Charlotte watching John Fox is that he was a true HC.  he hired good DC's and OC's and he ran a team.  he literally yanked Rodney Peete and put in Jake Delhomme, a walk on 2nd tier QB.  

Rex perhaps is a better defensive mind than Fox (not saying he is), but no one has ever accused Fox of lapsing on total game like REX.

Rex's resume:

-overall losing record as a HC

-four non-winning seasons in a row

-four non-playoff seasons in a row

-zero division titles

-zero conference championships

-zero Super Bowl titles

-overrated defense that got progressively worse over the years

What owner in their right mind would hire a HC with that pathetic resume?

Sounds like Bill Bellychuck until he got lucky and drafted Tom Brady with a 6th round pick and Mo Lewis knocked out Drew Bledsoe.

Rex biggest problem is he has influenced too many of our draft picks and he really has no business making picks. It will never be formally talked about but since the guy has been here we only draft defense in the first round. We changed to a 3-4 and never drafted an OLB. We accumulate more CB then anyone else.  Terry Bradway, Rod Graves etc never had tendencies like this. 

Rex runs this team. He controls alot more in our draft room then people know about in my opinion. John Idzik was just hired to keep our cap in check and being another guy that bows to Rex. 

Rex biggest problem is he has influenced too many of our draft picks and he really has no business making picks. It will never be formally talked about but since the guy has been here we only draft defense in the first round. We changed to a 3-4 and never drafted an OLB. We accumulate more CB then anyone else. Terry Bradway, Rod Graves etc never had tendencies like this.

Rex runs this team. He controls alot more in our draft room then people know about in my opinion. John Idzik was just hired to keep our cap in check and being another guy that bows to Rex.

100% agree

Rex biggest problem is he has influenced too many of our draft picks and he really has no business making picks. It will never be formally talked about but since the guy has been here we only draft defense in the first round. We changed to a 3-4 and never drafted an OLB. We accumulate more CB then anyone else.  Terry Bradway, Rod Graves etc never had tendencies like this. 

If there was any truth to this, the team would've had NFL CBs and next to no cap room at all this year. Rex was coaching for his job this season, there's no way he made the personnel decisions.

If there was any truth to this, the team would've had NFL CBs and next to no cap room at all this year. Rex was coaching for his job this season, there's no way he made the personnel decisions.

I am specifically talking draft. In the secondary for example: We invested a top ten pick last year, as well as 1st and 3rd round picks this year on the secondary. Thats a heavy investment. However even when you look at FA we were specifically linked and met with some of the big FA cornerbacks so clearly we tried to get them. 

In the last 5 years under Rex we have used 6 First rounders on defense (100 percent of our picks). This is more then any other team in the league. He's the head coach and one of the biggest personalities in the room. Idzik has clearly stated he looks to take the "Consensus" in the draft room. 

Once we clean house I am sure we are going to hear ALOT more about this. Obviously we all know a HC influences player acquisitions all the time in the NFL. However in this case our GM's have been money guys that are hired to listen to instruction from the Front Office/Rex. There has been several stories of Rex telling players we were going to draft them well ahead of draft day like Quentin Coples then we draft them. Rex runs this team. 

if if if. if you weren't such a dick, more people would like you

you just don't know what you are talking about

And who won the Bengals playoff game at their house that year?? The Jets is who.. If the Jets don't beat the Raiders at the black hole in 2001 the Pats would have gone there instead of Snow bound Foxboro and the tuck rule.. And of course we had Brien missing fg's at Pitt it happens to all teams.. Not to mention in 2010 we knocked out both Peyton and Brady at their house..Oh and what 16-0 and 13-3 team lost to 10-6 and 9-7 team in 2 Bowls?? The Pats that's who.. :animal0029:

I am specifically talking draft. In the secondary for example: We invested a top ten pick last year, as well as 1st and 3rd round picks this year on the secondary. Thats a heavy investment. However even when you look at FA we were specifically linked and met with some of the big FA cornerbacks so clearly we tried to get them.

In the last 5 years under Rex we have used 6 First rounders on defense (100 percent of our picks). This is more then any other team in the league. He's the head coach and one of the biggest personalities in the room. Idzik has clearly stated he looks to take the "Consensus" in the draft room.

Once we clean house I am sure we are going to hear ALOT more about this. Obviously we all know a HC influences player acquisitions all the time in the NFL. However in this case our GM's have been money guys that are hired to listen to instruction from the Front Office/Rex. There has been several stories of Rex telling players we were going to draft them well ahead of draft day like Quentin Coples then we draft them. Rex runs this team.

Drafting defense early is something the Jets have done for a very long time, with the common thread being Terry Bradway.

In his first draft with Herm Edwards, they took Santana Moss. Next three years were defense - Thomas, Robertson, and Vilma. They traded away their first in Herm's last year (and took a kicker with their first pick, and a DB next).

Mangini went offense with his first first rounder, too, then went with Revis and and Gholston the next two years.

So with only two of the seven first rounders prior to Rex did they go offense. Hard to say that's a whole lot different than the Rex era. Each coach got offense in their first draft, and defense thereafter. Rex has just lasted longer.

And the focus on the draft always ignores trading picks to move up for players like Sachez and Greene (three picks each). Trading picks for Braylon, Santonio, and Ivory. Or all the free agents brought in on offense at RB, WR, G, T, QB, TE. The Jets payroll is currently weighted heavily towards the offense ($55M offense, $33M defense), and that's been the norm since Rex arrived.

I guess it's easy to assign blame without looking any further back or any deeper, though. So there's that.

Drafting defense early is something the Jets have done for a very long time, with the common thread being Terry Bradway.

The Tuna in 1997 instead of guaranteeing Peyton he would take him with the first pick traded down and took Farrior and Terry D players with pick 1 and 2. 1998 first 2 picks were DT and DB 1999 first 2 picks were O-line and 2000 Abe and Ellis followed by Chad and Becht.. And he was the GM unlike Rex whose first Draft was O for all 3 picks.. LOL

What I find fascinating about this story and others is that there seems to be a prevailing belief in NFL that the Jets somehow make players and coaches suck and if they just leave the Jets environment they'll be better.

What I find fascinating about this story and others is that there seems to be a prevailing belief in NFL that the Jets somehow make players and coaches suck and if they just leave the Jets environment they'll be better.

I know.  The jets are supposed to be the biggest joke in the NFL yet everyone wants our ex-head coaches and coordinators.

Archived