Woody Hiring Charlie Casserly as consultant (MERGED)

Seth

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be a sensible move if it's the first step to a complete house cleaning-Ryan, Idzik, Bradway, the entirety of the football people. If it's only to musical chair swap of titles and offices, no point. Casserly seems like a sharp enough guy to not get involved with that nonsense, but a big paycheck at tht end of his career might allow him to debase himself.

About time Woody gains advice from someone who actually understands the game. This smells like a clean house is coming.

Certainly not a vote of confidence for Idzik, having the owner hire a former GM to consult. I prefer Casserly to Korn-Ferry, too.

Good news.

Jets owner Woody Johnson is preparing to hire former Texans and Redskins GM Charley Casserly as a consultant in... fb.me/7imVNsuxj

Thoughts?

He traded his first pick(5th) in the 1999 draft to the Saints for all their picks plus some the next year so Ditka could take Ricky Williams..LOL

http://nypost.com/2014/07/24/five-questions-with-charley-casserly/

From July 24, 2014:

As training camps have opened throughout the league, NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly discussed the Jets’ quarterback situation, the Giants’ new offense and whether or not Johnny Football will start from the get-go with The Post’s John DeMarzo.

Q: Geno Smith appears to be the guy for the Jets, but is there a chance Michael Vick can unseat him?
A: I don’t see it happening in training camp. It’s Geno’s job to lose and he can’t lose it in camp. Vick is coming in to be the backup. [He may start] if Geno disintegrates, but that’s hard to happen…I’m not sure you have a good answer if you have to go to Vick. You ride this thing with Geno and see how he develops.

Q: What do you make of the Giants, with all of their new players and a new offense to learn under offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo?
A: They’re a better team on paper in many ways, but you have too many moving parts in too many new areas.

At wide receiver, you’re bringing in a first-round pick in [Odell] Beckham Jr. who has talent, so you need to get him in there.

On the offensive line, left tackle didn’t change and that was their biggest problem. Running back, there’s a whole new crew there. [Rashad] Jennings is the bell cow, but will [David] Wilson stay healthy?…It’s a whole new system. That’s a lot of moving parts. It’s going to take time for the players to get it and the coaches to understand it.

Q: On the heels of his tumultuous offseason, how would you handle Johnny Manziel, and do you think he will be the Week 1 starter for the Browns?
A: [i would say to him], no endorsements Year One. No radio or TV shows. What did Peyton [Manning] do when he came into the league? [Andrew] Luck? No distractions. We want [him] totally focused on football…It’s unfair to expect a lot out of him this year. [With Josh] Gordon facing a drug suspension, he doesn’t really have…the Andre Johnson-[type] player to catch 100 balls…It’s [brian] Hoyer’s job for the time being. [He’s] more experienced — so many unknowns about Manziel.

Q: Which team intrigues you the most this season?
A: The Bears. It’s their second year with [head coach Marc] Trestman, second year with some of those players together and maturing, and I think it’s a dynamic group…This is a playoff offense. The question is [Jay] Cutler. Will he be consistent enough and stay healthy?…[They’re] better on defense and I think the offense takes another step up.

Q: What team do you think could take a step back this year?
A: The Panthers. [Coach] Ron Rivera did a hell of a job and so did [general manager] Dave Gettleman, but they’re still recovering from the [salary] cap.

They did a good job signing one-year type free agents for not a lot of money. They tried to do that with receiver, like [Jerricho] Cotchery.

They’re veteran guys, but they’re not hard to defend…New Orleans made the playoffs last year, Atlanta will be better, and Tampa Bay is on the rise. It will be a tougher division.

Here is a interview Casserly did back in October about his thoughts on the Jets situation. Spoiler alert he thought Rex Ryan should have been coach of the year after going 8-8 last year with the talent he had, and speaks pretty critical about the front office.

http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2014/10/16/charley-casserly-not-enough-talent-for-jets-to-compete/

In the 23 years Casserly was with the Redskins, they only had 6 losing seasons, went to four Super Bowls and won three, all with different QBs. 

He traded the 5th pick in the 1999 draft to New Orleans Saints for their entire draft. He then used the 12th pick to select the player he was targeting all along: Champ Bailey. 

http://nypost.com/2014/07/24/five-questions-with-charley-casserly/

From July 24, 2014:

As training camps have opened throughout the league, NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly discussed the Jets’ quarterback situation, the Giants’ new offense and whether or not Johnny Football will start from the get-go with The Post’s John DeMarzo.

Q: Geno Smith appears to be the guy for the Jets, but is there a chance Michael Vick can unseat him?

A: I don’t see it happening in training camp. It’s Geno’s job to lose and he can’t lose it in camp. Vick is coming in to be the backup. [He may start] if Geno disintegrates, but that’s hard to happen…I’m not sure you have a good answer if you have to go to Vick. You ride this thing with Geno and see how he develops.

Q: What do you make of the Giants, with all of their new players and a new offense to learn under offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo?

A: They’re a better team on paper in many ways, but you have too many moving parts in too many new areas.

At wide receiver, you’re bringing in a first-round pick in [Odell] Beckham Jr. who has talent, so you need to get him in there.

On the offensive line, left tackle didn’t change and that was their biggest problem. Running back, there’s a whole new crew there. [Rashad] Jennings is the bell cow, but will [David] Wilson stay healthy?…It’s a whole new system. That’s a lot of moving parts. It’s going to take time for the players to get it and the coaches to understand it.

Q: On the heels of his tumultuous offseason, how would you handle Johnny Manziel, and do you think he will be the Week 1 starter for the Browns?

A: [i would say to him], no endorsements Year One. No radio or TV shows. What did Peyton [Manning] do when he came into the league? [Andrew] Luck? No distractions. We want [him] totally focused on football…It’s unfair to expect a lot out of him this year. [With Josh] Gordon facing a drug suspension, he doesn’t really have…the Andre Johnson-[type] player to catch 100 balls…It’s [brian] Hoyer’s job for the time being. [He’s] more experienced — so many unknowns about Manziel.

Q: Which team intrigues you the most this season?

A: The Bears. It’s their second year with [head coach Marc] Trestman, second year with some of those players together and maturing, and I think it’s a dynamic group…This is a playoff offense. The question is [Jay] Cutler. Will he be consistent enough and stay healthy?…[They’re] better on defense and I think the offense takes another step up.

Q: What team do you think could take a step back this year?

A: The Panthers. [Coach] Ron Rivera did a hell of a job and so did [general manager] Dave Gettleman, but they’re still recovering from the [salary] cap.

They did a good job signing one-year type free agents for not a lot of money. They tried to do that with receiver, like [Jerricho] Cotchery.

They’re veteran guys, but they’re not hard to defend…New Orleans made the playoffs last year, Atlanta will be better, and Tampa Bay is on the rise. It will be a tougher division.

HE HAS A CRYSTAL BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a interview Casserly did back in October about his thoughts on the Jets situation. Spoiler alert he thought Rex Ryan should have been coach of the year after going 8-8 last year with the talent he had, and speaks pretty critical about the front office.

http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2014/10/16/charley-casserly-not-enough-talent-for-jets-to-compete/

Casserly loves him some Rex Ryan.

Maybe he his consulting convinces Woody to keep him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Move. Bill Polion shouldve been hired as a consultant. Where the hell are the Redskins and the Texans now? And...

Controversy with Bill Belichick[edit]

At the end of the 2009 NFL season, Casserly stated that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was playing through three broken ribs. His analysis, however, was refuted by Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who stated, "Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong."

Casserly caused further controversy when he reported on CBS' NFL pregame show (October 10, 2010) that a confrontation between Tom Brady and Randy Moss occurred following New England's 38-30 victory over the Buffalo Bills, that the two had to be separated, and that this was the impetus for the trade of Moss to the Minnesota Vikings.

Belichick's criticism of Casserly stemmed from a December 2006 incident where the Miami Dolphins suggested they'd received game tape that included audio of Brady. Casserly said the Patriots had been warned about their videotaping practices - "(they had a staff member) dressed in coaching attire with a video camera who was presumably videotaping the other team's signals. You can't do that. They were warned." Belichick responded that he'd been told nothing from the league about it and sarcastically asked, "Why don't you go talk to Charley Casserly? He seems to have all the answers on everything."[8]

Bad Move. Bill Polion shouldve been hired as a consultant. Where the hell are the Redskins and the Texans now? And...

At the end of the 2009 NFL season, Casserly stated that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was playing through three broken ribs. His analysis, however, was refuted by Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who stated, "Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong."

Casserly caused further controversy when he reported on CBS' NFL pregame show (October 10, 2010) that a confrontation between Tom Brady and Randy Moss occurred following New England's 38-30 victory over the Buffalo Bills, that the two had to be separated, and that this was the impetus for the trade of Moss to the Minnesota Vikings.

Belichick's criticism of Casserly stemmed from a December 2006 incident where the Miami Dolphins suggested they'd received game tape that included audio of Brady. Casserly said the Patriots had been warned about their videotaping practices - "(they had a staff member) dressed in coaching attire with a video camera who was presumably videotaping the other team's signals. You can't do that. They were warned." Belichick responded that he'd been told nothing from the league about it and sarcastically asked, "Why don't you go talk to Charley Casserly? He seems to have all the answers on everything."[8]

At the end of the 2009 NFL season, Casserly stated that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was playing through three broken ribs. His analysis, however, was refuted by Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who stated, "Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong."

Casserly caused further controversy when he reported on CBS' NFL pregame show (October 10, 2010) that a confrontation between Tom Brady and Randy Moss occurred following New England's 38-30 victory over the Buffalo Bills, that the two had to be separated, and that this was the impetus for the trade of Moss to the Minnesota Vikings.

Belichick's criticism of Casserly stemmed from a December 2006 incident where the Miami Dolphins suggested they'd received game tape that included audio of Brady. Casserly said the Patriots had been warned about their videotaping practices - "(they had a staff member) dressed in coaching attire with a video camera who was presumably videotaping the other team's signals. You can't do that. They were warned." Belichick responded that he'd been told nothing from the league about it and sarcastically asked, "Why don't you go talk to Charley Casserly? He seems to have all the answers on everything."[8]

What if Polian didn't want it? What if Polian told Woody 2 yrs ago to use Korn Ferry? Or Idzik would be a good choice?

Ummm.... Belichick was proven to be a liar. 

Archived