The Beginning of the End?

JetNation

Woody Johnson

ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter is reporting that New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is prepared to hire former Redskins and Texans GM Charley Casserly as a counsultant in an effort to initiate what many believe will be a full house-cleaning at the conclusion of a disastrous season.  Several outlets have reported that out the outset of the year, Johnson was convinced by General Manager John Idzik and Head Coach Rex Ryan that the Jets were going to be highly competitive.  At 3-12 that has been far from the case as the roster is lacking talent at countless positions.  Many Jets fans have been critical of Ryan and Idzik and have been calling for both to be removed.  If Schefter is right, Casserly will be  a breath of fresh air for Jets fans.  Between John Idzik, Mike Tannenbaum, and Korn Ferry, Johnson was due to secure the services of a respected football executive moving forward and Casserly fits that bill.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rxzfl8M7ACs

View the full article

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that Rex Ryan was selling Woody on how competitive they would be this year. Just after the Patriots signed Revis, I saw Rex do a sit down interview about free agency, the Jets draft, their free agent acquisitions, their corners, and the Revis-Patriot signing. It was plain as freaking day that he was just being diplomatic. It was downright transparent.

For all the justified criticisms of Rex as a Head Coach, I guarantee you he knew the Jets were going to have to over achieve this year to be competitive, and I double guarantee you he knew they were all totally screwed when your DB's went down. It was well known the Jets had a brutal schedule of elite teams and elite quarterbacks this season going in.

Rex isn't stupid. He was pissed. You could tell he was pissed about the Revis signing and you could tell he was pissed about Idzik's lack of motivation in free agency.

Rex is a terrible liar. That's something you can give him credit for.

"full-house" cleaning better mean anybody associated with the Jets drafting.

Agreed.  They need to let just about everyone on the organization's payroll go at the end of this season and completely start over, almost as though they were an expansion franchise.  The only way to get the stench of failure out of there that's been accumulating since 1969 is for a complete and total house cleaning.

Archived