Did Harvin Burn Revis?

AFJF

Serious question.  I was at the opposite end of the stadium and spending most of my time taking pics of whatever players I could get the best shots of so I did miss chunks of plays.  On the deep route down the Rt sideline it looked like Harvin had Revis beat by two or three steps but Geno overthrew him.  Gonna' watch the game on rewind at some point, but just thought I'd ask.

Serious question.  I was at the opposite end of the stadium and spending most of my time taking pics of whatever players I could get the best shots of so I did miss chunks of plays.  On the deep route down the Rt sideline it looked like Harvin had Revis beat by two or three steps but Geno overthrew him.  Gonna' watch the game on rewind at some point, but just thought I'd ask.

According to some Revis maniacs I know Revis let him catch it being Christmas time and all.. :winking0001:

Not sure what play you're referring to. There was one "deep ball" I remember. They threw a flag, the ball went out of bounds and Revis had decent coverage (Harvin pushed off at the end). I wouldn't go around bragging that he beat Revis on that play. Comes off pretty desperate.

He had him beat but the ball was terribly thrown.

He wasnt "burned" but he definitely had him beat by a few steps.

Thanks...that's what I thought.  That's at least two deep would-be TD's I've seen Geno overthrow Harvin on this season.  Would've had that 30 yarder against Miami too.

Thanks...that's what I thought.  That's at least two deep would-be TD's I've seen Geno overthrow Harvin on this season.  Would've had that 30 yarder against Miami too.

It wasnt an overthrow more than just off all together.  

The throw he ****ed up royally was the Kerley pass in the endzone.  Kerley was wide-open out of his break.  Easy TD.  Geno held on to it too long and then threw it low and out of bounds.

He didn't overthrow anything. The ball went out of of bounds, it was poorly thrown. Harvin had to adjust by trying to locate the ball, he had to slow down. Geno is not exactly known for having a huge arm or being able to hit his deep threats downfield in stride.

He didn't overthrow anything. The ball went out of of bounds, it was poorly thrown. Harvin had to adjust by trying to locate the ball, he had to slow down. Geno is not exactly known for having a huge arm or being able to hit his deep threats downfield in stride.

Yeah...sounds like "completely miss" would have been a better term than "overthrow"

This is the best I've got at the moment, the coaches film isn't up yet.

Notice where Harvin is, notice where he starts out and where the ball ends up. Just way, way off. Horrible throw.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1419282868.969666.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1419282888.618600.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1419282902.920479.jpg

Thanks!  Geno is friggin' horrible.

IMO, if that is the film Revis was right on him.  A good throw still gets him, but you can't do much better than that if your help is inside.  Harvin twisted him up pretty good on a short one in the first half.  One thing about Revis is that he seems to know where the ball is supposed to go and takes it away.  That may be what happened here.

Wouldn't blame it on Geno. Manning and Brady would miss those throws 9 out of 10 times as well with Revis on the coverage. Coverage was step to step. Ball had to be PERFECT for a completion. Don't remember the Dolphins pass though. 

Wouldn't blame it on Geno. Manning and Brady would miss those throws 9 out of 10 times as well with Revis on the coverage. Coverage was step to step. Ball had to be PERFECT for a completion. Don't remember the Dolphins pass though. 

Like I said, I have to watch the game tonight.  From the pics above, it looks like  he's got Revis beat but then heads toward the ball (thrown out of bounds) so Revis is able to get back the ground he lost.  From the little bit of it I saw, it looked like he had enough ground on Revis for the easy 6 if Geno just puts it in the end zone.  Just curious about Geno moreso that concerned with who Harvin beat...althought it would've been nice if the pass was completed on Revis.

Like I said, I have to watch the game tonight.  From the pics above, it looks like  he's got Revis beat but then heads toward the ball (thrown out of bounds) so Revis is able to get back the ground he lost.  From the little bit of it I saw, it looked like he had enough ground on Revis for the easy 6 if Geno just puts it in the end zone.  Just curious about Geno moreso that concerned with who Harvin beat...althought it would've been nice if the pass was completed on Revis.

Yeah, but Harvin barely had half a step. Revis has great closing speed so the pass had to be perfect, like the one to Randy Moss (one handed catch). You don't see that very often in the NFL otherwise none of the elite QBs would ever have their teams punt. 

And I don't think the pass was thrown out of bounds. The pic suggests otherwise but it could be on the bounce. It was catchable inbounds if I remember correctly if Harvin was looking for it on his outside shoulder. Again, I don't care either way. We lost a game we probably would have won if we had anything left to play for. 

Serious question. I was at the opposite end of the stadium and spending most of my time taking pics of whatever players I could get the best shots of so I did miss chunks of plays. On the deep route down the Rt sideline it looked like Harvin had Revis beat by two or three steps but Geno overthrew him. Gonna' watch the game on rewind at some point, but just thought I'd ask.

Is this all you guys root for these days, when Revis gets beat?

Just to let you know, opposing QB's have completed only 41.2% of their passes against Revis coverage this year, which is the best coverage percentage in the NFL.

Just to let you know, opposing QB's have completed only 41.2% of their passes against Revis coverage this year, which is the best coverage percentage in the NFL.

My mistake for wording the title like I did, but my actual question should have been "Did Geno F$%&*ng overthrow another F@#$^&g receiver on what would have been a touchdown in a game that we lost by one point because he took a F*&#@%g sack that knocked them out of FG range.  Is that what happened?"

Thanks...that's what I thought. That's at least two deep would-be TD's I've seen Geno overthrow Harvin on this season. Would've had that 30 yarder against Miami too.

Only two? Geno can't throw deep, possibly the worst QB I've seen at it.

My mistake for wording the title like I did, but my actual question should have been "Did Geno F$%&*ng overthrow another F@#$^&g receiver on what would have been a touchdown in a game that we lost by one point because he took a F*@%g sack that knocked them out of FG range. Is that what happened?"

Lol. This is the perfect summation of Geno the QB

IMO, if that is the film Revis was right on him.  A good throw still gets him, but you can't do much better than that if your help is inside.  Harvin twisted him up pretty good on a short one in the first half.  One thing about Revis is that he seems to know where the ball is supposed to go and takes it away.  That may be what happened here.

This

I would imagine all deep balls are meant to go to the outside unless he's wide open, but really I don't know.

I am feeling a lot of Love of Revis from you this time of year.  It's just a tease.

A perfect throw might get him but that's rare on a deep ball receivers almost always have to adjust a little bit and in that case Revis would have made the play. A deep ball hitting a receiver perfectly in stride is a rare thing. Revis was in perfect position to make a play there if you consider those factors.

Cracks me up how so many people on this forum can't wait for Revis to get beat and he rarely does. With the amount of money the jets have under the cap they should sign Revis and let him end his career here hes the type of player that may very well go into his mid 30's and still be very effective/ It would instantly turn this Secondary around and it would be nice for a guy like Revis to add his leadership to a very young secondary

Yes, Harvin clearly had steps on the defense, but the ball was poorly thrown.  A good throw and it was a long TD pass.

He'd better be worth more than gold, cause we'll be paying him $10M

Since his value to the 2014 team was zero at the time we picked him up, and since that $ would have moved to next year, we may pay him $10.5M but it's the equivalent of $17M (plus that 4th rounder).

If he stays, and if he's awesome and a consistent difference-maker who isn't causing locker room problems, then there's no lamenting about the first $6M I guess. But with some guaranteed money (not nearly what Seattle gave him), we could have had him for no pick and a lot less than $17M in 2015 after this season ended.

This

I would imagine all deep balls are meant to go to the outside unless he's wide open, but really I don't know.

If you look at the play the ball should have gone over the middle of the field. The safety reacted too late, the middle of the field was wide open and Harvin had Revis beat. It was only by a step but that in the NFL is being open, especially when it's a footrace between a guy like Harvin and Revis who's not exactly a burner. To analyze the play: Geno should have pulled the trigger and thrown the ball when Harvin was at the ~35yd line. He had Revis beat and Geno had a clean pocket to get rid of the ball. Instead he waits, he holds on to the ball, does a dumb pump fake. As always it gets him in trouble, a Pats defender gets in his face right when he's about to throw the ball. Geno is off balance, he doesn't step into it and it results in that horrible excuse of a throw that went out of bounds.

Archived