Charley Casserly…Rex’s Savior?

JetNation

For the record here is my official stance:

I would fire Idzik. Then hire a new GM that would most likely fire Rex, fire Bradway. I wouldn't fire Neil Glat. He is team President but he isn't team president in a football operations kind of way.

All that being said, I am hoping Rex survives under a new GM? Why? Because JetNation will explode with posts lol.

Glat comes up with the drumline nonsense...Woody actually listens to him...he should go too. Winning sells tickets, that's all that matters. Not jumbotrons, not party decks. Glat doesnt help the team win games...he serves no purpose.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record here is my official stance:

I would fire Idzik. Then hire a new GM that would most likely fire Rex, fire Bradway. I wouldn't fire Neil Glat. He is team President but he isn't team president in a football operations kind of way.

All that being said, I am hoping Rex survives under a new GM? Why? Because JetNation will explode with posts lol.

You don't task a new GM, who is new on the spot, to do your dirty work. You do the dirty work, so the GM comes in clean and fresh.

That is the most lazy piece of management you can do.

I am not saying keeping Rex is the right thing to do. I would blow the whole thing up.  I am saying that there is at least a chance that this could happen. Even a small chance.

Maybe Casserly will name himself the GM and then decide to keep Rex.

Without encouraging any political posts at all (and I will delete each and every one of them), but I did envision a scenario similar to Dick Cheney heading up Dubya's running mate search committee: I've got an idea, how about me?

He never made the claim publicly, he just gave some standard line about it not working out.

Before any interviews (with any candidate), Woody gave a generic "Rex is still our coach" line, but it was widely believed in NFL circles that if a candidate really wanted his own guy, that this wasn't an iron-clad decree (turns out that it was). In the first interview, they didn't even discuss Rex (or Bradway), it was more focused on how he would build a team, and if he was willing to trade Revis. Everything went well and he starting calling off interviews with other teams to focus on the Jets job. In the second interview to lock everything down, they got into discussions re: Rex, which is when Woody made it clear that keeping Rex was a non-negotiable condition. Additionally, he made clear that keeping Bradway in his current role was also a non-negotiable position as well (which is another fact that didn't make the papers, but was confirmed a few weeks ago by a Seattle based Jets fan on this forum who spoke with Schneider, who still keeps in touch with Idzik). At that point Gamble didn't want the job under those conditions and declined it. Days later, the NY papers come out with articles claiming he "interviewed poorly," which was obviously leaked by Woody.

FYI, there were no "football men" in the room conducting the interviews - it was Woody, Glat, and Akselrad.

I don't have NYDN or NJ.com links, but those are the facts. Regardless of whether or not one wants to believe them. I hope one day everything that transpired in that interview process comes to light, because there are quite a few people who have been advancing false narratives, and I'm not one of them.

Honestly, at this point maybe it would be for the best if you did. If something so innocuous warrants a ban in your eyes, then this probably isn't the place for me anyhow.

There are obviously moderators here who don't like me very much, and posting here is becoming less and less enjoyable and more and more of a chore. So if you could do me a favor and pull the trigger on that ban, I'd appreciate it :) Thanks in advance.

Do you have the link to the post re. Bradway

I, reluctantly, have to own this. LOL.

I'm torn..shoot me.

The thing that gets me with Rex is that he's married to his system and doesn't plug players where they should be.

I think we're a 4-3 running a 3-4.

Agreed...much better suited for a 4-3 if we put Coples on the D-line.  Maybe the  next guy lets Harris walk, moves Coples (sign Suh?) and let Davis play MLB?  I'd take it.

I do not understand this idea.  Rex is not Mangini playing Vilmas at 3-4 ILB and DRob on the nose.  Rex is married to his system because he does everything - his main problem is with corners that can't cover.  It is a philosophical thing which is the opposite bend but don't break.  He is playing the best players.  I don't see what playing a 4-3 with Coples hand in the dirt does.  His hand is in the dirt plenty and most of the time he is still doing what a DE would do even when he is up.  He isn't the best in space, but IMO the purpose of doing that on occasion is simply to keep the uncertainty for the QB.  Why would they sign Suh?  They are stacked at 4-3 DT.  

Rex seems like a guy who would give up the money to be back on the sideline..

For a DC position?  The Jets can buy him out - pay him less and have him make up the difference and them some with his next position.  

He never made the claim publicly, he just gave some standard line about it not working out.

Before any interviews (with any candidate), Woody gave a generic "Rex is still our coach" line, but it was widely believed in NFL circles that if a candidate really wanted his own guy, that this wasn't an iron-clad decree (turns out that it was). In the first interview, they didn't even discuss Rex (or Bradway), it was more focused on how he would build a team, and if he was willing to trade Revis. Everything went well and he starting calling off interviews with other teams to focus on the Jets job. In the second interview to lock everything down, they got into discussions re: Rex, which is when Woody made it clear that keeping Rex was a non-negotiable condition. Additionally, he made clear that keeping Bradway in his current role was also a non-negotiable position as well (which is another fact that didn't make the papers, but was confirmed a few weeks ago by a Seattle based Jets fan on this forum who spoke with Schneider, who still keeps in touch with Idzik). At that point Gamble didn't want the job under those conditions and declined it. Days later, the NY papers come out with articles claiming he "interviewed poorly," which was obviously leaked by Woody.

FYI, there were no "football men" in the room conducting the interviews - it was Woody, Glat, and Akselrad.

I don't have NYDN or NJ.com links, but those are the facts. Regardless of whether or not one wants to believe them. I hope one day everything that transpired in that interview process comes to light, because there are quite a few people who have been advancing false narratives, and I'm not one of them.

Honestly, at this point maybe it would be for the best if you did. If something so innocuous warrants a ban in your eyes, then this probably isn't the place for me anyhow.

There are obviously moderators here who don't like me very much, and posting here is becoming less and less enjoyable and more and more of a chore. So if you could do me a favor and pull the trigger on that ban, I'd appreciate it :) Thanks in advance.

Any links?  Any articles?  Anything other than your speculation (and/or the word of another poster)?   Why should Gamble's story be worth more than Woody's?  Also, why didn't Gamble get another job? 

FWIW, it was widely believed well before the interview process began that the Jets were forcing Rex on any GM candidate.  We argued about it here at the time.  Wasn't Rex sitting next to Woody at the presser where he announced Tanny was gone? 

Do you have the link to the post re. Bradway

+1

Any links?  Any articles?  Anything other than your speculation (and/or the word of another poster)?   Why should Gamble's story be worth more than Woody's?  Also, why didn't Gamble get another job? 

FWIW, it was widely believed well before the interview process began that the Jets were forcing Rex on any GM candidate.  We argued about it here at the time.  Wasn't Rex sitting next to Woody at the presser where he announced Tanny was gone? 

+1

Wonder if Woody's only demand to the next Jets GM will be to resign Revis at all costs  :biggrin:

This is a good omen for us Jets fans who live in the real world and understand what MUST happen with this club. We know that Woody Johnson is a coward, first and foremost, a coward. he does not have the guts to sit up there in front of the world all by himself and prove to the world that he really IS as clueless as we all feared that he just might actually be. He needs a buffer (like Willie Cicci "yea da family has a lotta buffas senator") to sit up at that podium in the beginning of February and answer the questions that will be coming fast and furiously at him. He NEEDS a Casserly at the very least up there with him, especially if they haven't found a (sucker) replacement for Idzik and Ryan.

Casserly being brought in at least assures our cowardly leader that he won't be alone, and that there will be somebody else to help him not look so bad and answer FOOTBALL-related questions. In my book it's just too damn bad that we are still going to be stuck with Johnson as the owner of the Jets, he is a horrible owner, who doesn't know how to run a football team, who is too nice of a guy to do what must be done and fire people-all the way up and down the line. From the scouting department to the GM and everyone in between. 

You agree on the CB front.  Not getting Vontae Davis okay.  Not getting anybody?  Not so much and not an anomaly - an intentional tactic which came from Idzik's lowballing.  Cromartie was waiting for them to come back to him and would have probably signed the same deal as Patterson. He got $3M for one and his wife was bitching about Idzik on twitter.  None of that had to do with Rex.  

I can agree that Rex is not blameless for the roster, but as Casserly says from the outside nobody knows how much.  I think it is a bit disingenuous to complain about fans that blame it on Idzik being so "misled" while simultaneously acting so sure that it is Rex that has raped the roster for 6 years - never mind the fact that the roster significantly improved his first two years.  

1.  You seemed to imply it happened multiple times.  2.  Losing the pulse of the team is not the same as having them quit on you, but whatever.

Pfft... Whatever, is right. I'll give you that.

I, reluctantly, have to own this. LOL.

I'm torn..shoot me.

The thing that gets me with Rex is that he's married to his system and doesn't plug players where they should be.

I think we're a 4-3 running a 3-4.

I think we're a sh*t team made of sh*t led by sh*t.

This is a good omen for us Jets fans who live in the real world and understand what MUST happen with this club. We know that Woody Johnson is a coward, first and foremost, a coward. he does not have the guts to sit up there in front of the world all by himself and prove to the world that he really IS as clueless as we all feared that he just might actually be. He needs a buffer (like Willie Cicci "yea da family has a lotta buffas senator") to sit up at that podium in the beginning of February and answer the questions that will be coming fast and furiously at him. He NEEDS a Casserly at the very least up there with him, especially if they haven't found a (sucker) replacement for Idzik and Ryan.

Casserly being brought in at least assures our cowardly leader that he won't be alone, and that there will be somebody else to help him not look so bad and answer FOOTBALL-related questions. In my book it's just too damn bad that we are still going to be stuck with Johnson as the owner of the Jets, he is a horrible owner, who doesn't know how to run a football team, who is too nice of a guy to do what must be done and fire people-all the way up and down the line. From the scouting department to the GM and everyone in between. 

In other words, Woody can't win-

-Not hire a consultant-Unable to do the job.

-Hire a consultant-Cowardly

Dislike Woody as much as you like, but no one can live under those ideals.

Be glad that Woody reached out for an expert to help him. I applaud that effort. Don't think it is cowardice at all

Without encouraging any political posts at all (and I will delete each and every one of them), but I did envision a scenario similar to Dick Cheney heading up Dubya's running mate search committee: I've got an idea, how about me?

LOL...I posted the same thing earlier minus the names.  Basically what they said on FAN when I had it on at lunch time.  Woody can ask who is the best man for the job and Casserly could say "I am".  Stranger things have happened.

Be glad that Woody reached out for an expert to help him. I applaud that effort. Don't think it is cowardice at all

i think in most ways he has been a model owner.  The one place SFJ may have a point is the nice guy front.  He seems to hold on to some guys when they should go.  I know you don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater, but keeping Bradway, Schottenheimer and Rex when others are getting the boot seems odd.  Sure it may happen at times, but this is almost a pattern.  

There are obviously moderators here who don't like me very much, and posting here is becoming less and less enjoyable and more and more of a chore. So if you could do me a favor and pull the trigger on that ban, I'd appreciate it :) Thanks in advance.

I'm not going to dissect all this.

Woody said it publicly at the Presser announcing Tanny's firing. Rex was next to him and was asked why was he keeping Rex. Look for the Presser and/or transcript.

I find it hard to believe, but nothing surprises me when it come to NFL teams, that Korn Ferry wasn't told by Woody that Rex is staying as the HC and KF wouldn't inform perspective candidates as such.

I do recall reading from Leberfeld only Woody, Glat & Ira were the only ones conducting the actual interviews.

i think in most ways he has been a model owner.  The one place SFJ may have a point is the nice guy front.  He seems to hold on to some guys when they should go.  I know you don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater, but keeping Bradway, Schottenheimer and Rex when others are getting the boot seems odd.  Sure it may happen at times, but this is almost a pattern.  

It's chronic, for sure. 

With a consultant, he does not get his hands as dirty. But Casserly advised……...

I'd add to the bold, there's a lot of owners that wouldn't go the trouble or added cost of hiring consulting firms or independent consultants to help make the next decision the right one. Unfortunately, the loyalist side of Woody (overlapping partial regimes) undermines and constricts the amount of value that can be derived from hiring experts.

One of the best things about Woody IMO is that he appears to recognize his limitations.  Good move to reach out to a football person to help get this thing right.

With a consultant, he does not get his hands as dirty. But Casserly advised……...

As Ape says below, that seems like it would lead to cleaning house, but he hired consultants the last time too and didn't.  I wonder what Parcells thinks of Casserly.  

I'd add to the bold, there's a lot of owners that wouldn't go the trouble or added cost of hiring consulting firms or independent consultants to help make the next decision the right one. Unfortunately, the loyalist side of Woody (overlapping partial regimes) undermines and constricts the amount of value that can be derived from hiring experts.

FWIW, I looked and a Meyers piece said the following:

“It’s a much better resource than a search firm.”

Casserly is 66 and would be an excellent candidate himself to be the GM. He is from River Edge, N.J. Presumably, if he was interested in the job, he would not be acting as a consultant. Casserly is a protégé of Bobby Beathard from the days when he was his assistant in Washington. He is also close to Bill Parcells. They are good references.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-woody-johnson-takes-step-clean-house-article-1.2054193

That piece is from yesterday and seems to be one of the few things linking them.  Casserly was in Washington forever, but I think Tuna was already in NE by the time he became GM. 

Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...dear god...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...please...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...just once...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...can this team catch a ******* break...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...seriously...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...Casserly's involvement will be good for the Jets...

yea not only is he a coward, he is also a coward who has to hire a head hunting firm to find a GM, while every other owner in every professional sport has stacks of names, not Johnson. So now he is being applauded for getting somebody with at least SOME football acumen to find a GM and head coach. 

If I had my choice I would go along with the caveat that the Fire Idzik movement had at the bottom of the billboard "Or Woody, SELL THE TEAM". The New York Jets have a terrible owner, maybe only topped by the other horrible sports owners who lost out on the bid.

Did you ever WONDER...hmmm, now why DID Bill Belichick write a I quit napkin? Oh yea, that's right he KNEW that the guy who would be his boss is nothing more than a rich kid with a brand new toy. A punk who has never even PLAYED a game of football in anger. Believe what you want, I don't care, and keep making policy around here as to when political names can or can't be exposed and the hammer will come down-just like it's about to fall on the other guy    

yea not only is he a coward, he is also a coward who has to hire a head hunting firm to find a GM, while every other owner in every professional sport has stacks of names, not Johnson. So now he is being applauded for getting somebody with at least SOME football acumen to find a GM and head coach. 

If I had my choice I would go along with the caveat that the Fire Idzik movement had at the bottom of the billboard "Or Woody, SELL THE TEAM". The New York Jets have a terrible owner, maybe only topped by the other horrible sports owners who lost out on the bid.

Did you ever WONDER...hmmm, now why DID Bill Belichick write a I quit napkin? Oh yea, that's right he KNEW that the guy who would be his boss is nothing more than a rich kid with a brand new toy. A punk who has never even PLAYED a game of football in anger. Believe what you want, I don't care, and keep making policy around here as to when political names can or can't be exposed and the hammer will come down-just like it's about to fall on the other guy    

Seattle hired the same firm to pick their GM.  

oh, ok…………..

Uh. Seattle used Korn Ferry when they hired Schneider.

In a recent two-month span, Korn Ferry placed Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien, University of Texas athletic director Steve Patterson and head coach Charlie Strong, Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson, USC football coach Steve Sarkisian, and the new Pro Football Hall of Fame President David Baker. Other recent high profile placements include: USC basketball coach Andy Enfield, Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid, New York Jets GM John Idzik and President Neil Glat, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, and Portland Trail Blazers President Chris McGowan. Previous to joining Korn Ferry in January 2012, Jed Hughes was responsible for placing Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott, USOC chief Scott Blackmun, Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy, and Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, GM John Schneider, and CEO Peter McLoughlin.

Go ahead keep defending the incompetence all of you guys and be happy to only have a chance to watch the Jets win a Championship on the NFL Network, because this guy and this WAY just ain't getting it done. As for how Seattle did it, matters not to me, and just because you say that's how THEY did it doesn't mean that they did. 

In a recent two-month span, Korn Ferry placed Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien, University of Texas athletic director Steve Patterson and head coach Charlie Strong, Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson, USC football coach Steve Sarkisian, and the new Pro Football Hall of Fame President David Baker. Other recent high profile placements include: USC basketball coach Andy Enfield, Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid, New York Jets GM John Idzik and President Neil Glat, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, and Portland Trail Blazers President Chris McGowan. Previous to joining Korn Ferry in January 2012, Jed Hughes was responsible for placing Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott, USOC chief Scott Blackmun, Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy, and Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, GM John Schneider, and CEO Peter McLoughlin.

That guy C. David Baker is a character.  He used to be the commissioner of the Arena League.  He was a politician, but ended up getting indicted and disgraced.  The guy is like a salesman and huge, 6'7" IIRC.  I think Sam Baker from USC is his son - the tackle on the Falcons.  I met him when the City Hawks were around.  Big time promoter type guy.  I'm sure I still have his card in my old wallet.  It had some crazy inspirational quotes on it and was funny as hell.  The kind of thing that is worth saving, but not worth switching to your new wallet.  

yea well in the Jets case they sure did a heck of a job didn't they?

Go ahead keep defending the incompetence all of you guys and be happy to only have a chance to watch the Jets win a Championship on the NFL Network, because this guy and this WAY just ain't getting it done. As for how Seattle did it, matters not to me, and just because you say that's how THEY did it doesn't mean that they did.

Caroll was brought in before Schneider anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Schneider_%28American_football_executive%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Idzik,_Jr.

And you guys are so big on the headhunting firm  just take a look at the difference in these two guys' resumes and how is it that we end up with a man with NOTHING worthwhile that he has done with any football team to warrant getting a job as the General Manager in the biggest media market IN THE WORLD.

Keep doing what you have been doing and you'll keep on getting what you get. Woody is an idiot to hire that man as a GM. No balls, no brains, only money is all he knows, no wonder he picked another bean counter for his GM

"With Seattle, Idzik was in charge of overseeing player negotiations, the team's compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts"

Archived