Brick

BallinPB

I want to pay homage to D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

I seen a Facebook post just now where guys were ripping his pro bowl alternate status saying he's overrated. While the guy may not be the perennial pro bowler we were expecting with the 4th pick in that draft, he has been a solid staple of this offensive line. He never misses a game and you don't hear his name called out like the other guys. It's nice to know that this guy will always be there and playing solid.

I just want to give this guy his just due because he deserves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the great tragedy of the Jets 2014 QB situation is that dude gets so much time. Compared to pretty much every other team.

Look at the Pats line without Mankins... no great shakes. Does anyone think Nate Solder is better than Brick? 

A healthy Vollmer is pretty good, no?

Aside on a great player at the same position: I wish writers could just write about how great Joe Thomas is rather than how nobody notices. Everybody who wants to notice has noticed since he was a rookie, and he's been called underrated just as long. He's rated just fine, pretty consistently considered the best OLman in the league since he was drafted.

He's made the Pro Bowl every year in his career, has been a 1st team All Pro team more often than not...

Brick is a beast in pass protection. A rock solide 10-15 year blindside protector. He's no Jon Ogden or Walter Jones but who is. He only makes like half of what the best LT's in the game make and there really isn't much of a dropoff. So I like that under the radar thing. Same with RIchardson and Wilkerson. Plus the guy is reliable as hell and he has a bunch of great years left in him. Great pick that worked out for us.

Brick is a beast in pass protection. A rock solide 10-15 year blindside protector. He's no Jon Ogden or Walter Jones but who is. He only makes like half of what the best LT's in the game make and there really isn't much of a dropoff. So I like that under the radar thing. Same with RIchardson and Wilkerson. Plus the guy is reliable as hell and he has a bunch of great years left in him. Great pick that worked out for us.

Beast?  He's a friggin' turnstile half the time.  

A great pick in a great draft for the Jets.  Is he a true pro bowler any more?  No, but he has had to put up with sub standar guard play beside him at times in his career.  DBrick is what you realistically hope you get when you  take a LT early in the draft.  A good to near pro bowl player you can plug in and not worry about for 10 years.

I was hoping this thread was about the Ben Folds song about abortion.

Brick is paid a lot of money to be solid. Seems like something could be done there.

http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/2014/

He's got a big cap hit for the Jets, which he's earned, but he's basically paid like a mid-tier LT at this point.

Replacement should be drafted this year or next, maybe start off at RT like Smith did in Dallas.

http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/2014/

He's got a big cap hit for the Jets, which he's earned, but he's basically paid like a mid-tier LT at this point.

Replacement should be drafted this year or next, maybe start off at RT like Smith did in Dallas.

Co-sign.  It's a priority position that needs to be addressed now.  It's not going to get any prettier in the near future.

Just so soft.

I always pictured him getting better as his career went on, and he filled out.

Like a Lomas Brown or Jackie Slater.

But it just never happened.

He peaked early.  He was an elite pass protector from 2008-2010.  He's been on the decline since then.  

Mangold looked like he was on the decline, too, but he had a bounce back year this year.

I want to pay homage to D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

I seen a Facebook post just now where guys were ripping his pro bowl alternate status saying he's overrated. While the guy may not be the perennial pro bowler we were expecting with the 4th pick in that draft, he has been a solid staple of this offensive line. He never misses a game and you don't hear his name called out like the other guys. It's nice to know that this guy will always be there and playing solid.

I just want to give this guy his just due because he deserves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Jet fans respect D'Bricks career, however that isn't the point here. Brick has been what we call "the middle of the pack" at LT for at least 2 years. Straight mediocre my friend. I like D'Brick, and back when I used to provide security detail I got the opportunity to meet him face to face. He's a massive dude, and gives the indication that he's a genuine guy. There's much to like about Brick. That doesnt change anything when talking football however. Now was Brick worth the 4th pick of the draft?...absolutely. I wouldnt look back at that pick and say that we busted on that, not at all. But if we're talking about the last couple years, then I would say that its time for us to look for his replacement in this draft, so much so that if we went OT in the first round I would consider it a wise investment. 

I hadn't thought about it since I did not know he was an upcoming FA.  I know he had some knee and concussion issues -- is he back to being  a healthy mauler?

Started 14 games this year after missing the first two to an MCL sprain on the same knee that blew out last year. Excellent player when on the field.

The coaches and the players?  What are you, 15?  Try the eyeball test.  Brick hasn't been anything special for a while now.

Do you even have any eyeballs? Who are you, Bill Walsh in the making? Eyeball test. Unless you worked for an NFL team for at least 10 years scouting players please stop using the phrase "eyeball test". Makes you sound even dumber. I value the players and coaches opinion a little higher than I value your opinion (which I don't considering you're either blind or clueless) since their opinion matches mine in this matter as well. And there's a big gap between "he hasn't been special lately" and "he's a turnstile half the time". But...whatever. Go scout some more players, champ.

Brick has been more than solid for a decade now. Great pick in the draft and has earned every dime. He may have lost a step. Yet with mediocre at best G play and inept QB play how can anyone expect better? I can imagine that he has had to peer into his right side very often with Winters doing his turnstile best. Geno not calling the proper protections identifying where the pressure is coming from does make a difference.

Brick has NEVER missed a game and I am sure he has been injured or hurt at times. The FO has yet to provide him with a SB caliber QB yet he still played hard and strong weekly. Brick plays like a champion and the Jets continue to waste away his career.

What Brick was is now irrelevant.  He has been mediocre at best the last 2 seasons.  Now is an opportune time to draft his successor.  I appreciate that Brick was once a very good LT in pass protection only, so much so that I could accept his ineptness in run blocking.  But now his pass protection skills are beginning to wane and he is no better than decent.  There have been too many plays in the last 2 years where Brick completely whiffed, so the turnstile comments in a post above are NOT inaccurate.  Brick will remain decent but not great for another year or two.  Certainly not a strong point on offense.

Do you even have any eyeballs? Who are you, Bill Walsh in the making? Eyeball test. Unless you worked for an NFL team for at least 10 years scouting players please stop using the phrase "eyeball test". Makes you sound even dumber. I value the players and coaches opinion a little higher than I value your opinion (which I don't considering you're either blind or clueless) since their opinion matches mine in this matter as well. And there's a big gap between "he hasn't been special lately" and "he's a turnstile half the time". But...whatever. Go scout some more players, champ.

:rl:   If you really believe he is a "beast", we need to get the eye chart out.  How many fingers am I holding up?  (The correct answer is one.)  WTF is this "I value the players and coaches opinion" you keep babbling about?  

I would definitely say it has been a pleasure to have him but the end is near. He is getting beat more and more frequently. We prob have a good year or two left. 

He should only be here for as long as he's the best one on the roster. As soon as someone else is better, including someone acquired this upcoming FA period or draft, he should be gone. He's not playing like a $12M left tackle. Perhaps not even at half that amount. It's not that he's always terrible so much as that he's very inconsistent and that can make it tough to design or run a play (such as it would be anyway with the QB play we've gotten for almost the entirety of his tenure here).

:rl:   If you really believe he is a "beast", we need to get the eye chart out.  How many fingers am I holding up?  (The correct answer is one.)  WTF is this "I value the players and coaches opinion" you keep babbling about?  

Another thing obviously you have no clue about. Shocking, I know.

What Brick was is now irrelevant.  He has been mediocre at best the last 2 seasons.  Now is an opportune time to draft his successor.  I appreciate that Brick was once a very good LT in pass protection only, so much so that I could accept his ineptness in run blocking.  But now his pass protection skills are beginning to wane and he is no better than decent.  There have been too many plays in the last 2 years where Brick completely whiffed, so the turnstile comments in a post above are NOT inaccurate.  Brick will remain decent but not great for another year or two.  Certainly not a strong point on offense.

Just how good has the run game been over that period for the Jets? The Jets have many other problems that need scrutiny other than Brick. Is he aging? Yes. Still very capable till we get better production from another player there.

Just how good has the run game been over that period for the Jets? The Jets have many other problems that need scrutiny other than Brick. Is he aging? Yes. Still very capable till we get better production from another player there.

Can't ignore the lack of depth along the OL.  Recipe for disaster. 

Archived