SNY Reported Jets to hire Ron Wolf as Consultant along side Cassalry

UnknownJetFan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This, straight from wiki

Green Bay Packers[edit]

In 1991, Wolf was hired to replace Packers General Manager Tom Braatz. Wolf's first major decisions were to fire head coach Lindy Infante, hire then-San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Holmgren to replace him, and to trade for then-Atlanta Falcons backup quarterback Brett Favre. In 1993, Wolf signed the most sought after free-agent available, Reggie White, bringing in a team leader and defensive superstar. This signing, in NFL free agency's first year, also made Green Bay a more desirable destination for future potential free agents, including White's fellow defensive linemen Santana Dotson and Sean Jones. Specifically, White's arrival negated the perception of Green Bay as a city where African-American players did not feel welcome.[6] With White and cast-off Gilbert Brown, Dotson and Jones formed the heart of the Packer defense during the team's championship run.

Over his nine-year term as GM, the Packers compiled a 92–52 record,[7] good for a .639 winning percentage, second in the NFL over that span to the San Francisco 49ers. The Packers won Super Bowl XXXI against the New England Patriots, lost in Super Bowl XXXII to the Denver Broncos, and made the playoffs six straight times. Wolf announced he would retire as Packers GM in February 2001. He stayed on through the April NFL draft and officially retired as Packers GM in June 2001. Afterward the Packers head coach at that time, Mike Sherman, assumed his duties as GM.

His son, Eliot Wolf, is Director of Pro Personnel of the Packers.

San Diego Chargers[edit]

On December 31, 2012, San Diego Chargers President Dean Spanos retained Wolf as a consultant to advise the Chargers throughout the general manager and head coach hiring process.[8]

Wolf was with the jets in the late 80s/early 90s and was pushing for the jets to draft Farve.. Of course, Atlanta ends up taking him one pick ahead of is in the 2nd round ( we used our 1st to pick Rob Moore in the 1990 supplemental draft)

Anyway, wolf gets the packers gm job in 1992 and one of his first moves is to trade with Atlanta for Farve

Only the jets

Rex and Idzik are in their last 120 hours as Jets. I suppose it possible that Idzik can stay on in some lesser role(cap management), if his ego allows that.

Possibly, but unnecessary. A cap manager should barely be a $100K job. Triple that because of the league's (and team's) high profile. And there are thousands of people in the NY metro area who, skill and background-wise, could do this as a freaking hobby if hey we're so inclined.

I think that keeping him in this role is unlikely to even be offered. If he's fired I doubt Woody is going to want to see his face anymore.

Then again, he's kept and protected Bradway this whole time so I'm probably just projecting. But even with that situation, Lead NFL Scout is a harder job to fill competently than Excel User.

Good to see Johnson is, again, bringing in professionals. Hopefully 2 out of 2 tell him he's got to clean house completely. New candidates, whether GM or HC, don't want others' baggage (Ryan, Bradway primarily) EVEN IF a candidate doesn't (or didn't) think either was so awful. It isn't the point. If one is to be he GM such baggage tells candidates it isn't a full GM position per se. Some may still be interested, but it's just lucky if that happens. Or Woody will just have to pay double (which is fine with me), but even then he very best might stay away because his career will be ruined.

Anyway, presumably these 2 will tell him this since either one was once the very type Woody should now be after. He may have been told in 2013 (he probably was), but hopefully it'll sink in this time.

I'd like to see Woody hire either Casserly or Wolf as the Grand Overseer. I'm not sure who got to Woody that made him see the light (reading my many posts, obv *Aping it*), but having Casserly and Wolf in the room during the interview process is worth its weight in gold.

Possibly, but unnecessary. A cap manager should barely be a $100K job. Triple that because of the league's (and team's) high profile. And there are thousands of people in the NY metro area who, skill and background-wise, could do this as a freaking hobby if hey we're so inclined.

I think that keeping him in this role is unlikely to even be offered. If he's fired I doubt Woody is going to want to see his face anymore.

Then again, he's kept and protected Bradway this whole time so I'm probably just projecting. But even with that situation, Lead NFL Scout is a harder job to fill competently than Excel User.

Heck, let's get Jason from Over-the-Cap.com running the salary cap for the Jets. Guy does a fantastic job with good insight.

The Jets appear to be on the verge of a major house cleaning. Idzik and Rex are definite goners, it also should reach Bradway.

It sounds like a major house cleaning is coming...but then you hear the rumors about demoting Idzik and it makes me worry.

Either keep Idzik or completely clean house (including Bradway) otherwise it's just going to be more of the same.

Archived