Nature or nurture?

Freemanm

Not that we need another reason to fire Rex, but But I am reflecting on Rex's tenure with the team and thinking about all of the young talent he had. Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene, Vlad Ducasse, Kenrick Ellis, Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, etc.

These were the guys who were supposed to form the nucleus of a younger Jets team in 2011. Aside from Sheldon Richardson and Mo Wilkerson, were all of these players draft busts? Or does it say something about the coaching staff that nearly every player that was supposed to carry this team into the future turned out to be duds? Maybe the coaching staff wasn't focused on teaching the young guys?

Not that we need another reason to fire Rex, but But I am reflecting on Rex's tenure with the team and thinking about all of the young talent he had. Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene, Vlad Ducasse, Kenrick Ellis, Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, etc.

These were the guys who were supposed to form the nucleus of a younger Jets team in 2011. Aside from Sheldon Richardson and Mo Wilkerson, were all of these players draft busts? Or does it say something about the coaching staff that nearly every player that was supposed to carry this team into the future turned out to be duds? Maybe the coaching staff wasn't focused on teaching the young guys?

Good question but I think it was a bit of both. I dont know many fans who liked the Quinton Coples draft when it happened, I almost had a heart attack when I watched the Jets pick Stephen Hill over a guy who I felt was not only the best WR in the draft but would enter the league with top 5 best hands in the entire league in Alshon Jeffery. I dont know who liked Vlad when they picked him in the 2nd, probably because no one knew who he was and we gave Tanny the benefit of the doubt given his history with Brick and Mangold. Kyle Wilson I feel people thought was a legit pick towards the bottom of the draft. He was compared a lot to Joe Haden at the time. The outcome wasnt what we wanted, but at the time it was a good pick. Kendrick Ellis is a situational guy and has excelled at that. Shonn Greene in his first two years looking like a steal when we drafted up in the 3rd with the Lions to draft him, especially after his performance against the Chargers in the playoffs in his 2nd season. When he was given the keys he crashed the car. 

To answer the question, I do think that all of these guys were busts, though I think Quinton is playing out of position. He's not a LB, if he was he'd be a freak just given his measurements, but it just isn't so. He's a defensive end/Defensive Tackle that should be utilized in a 4-3 scheme if we were to see his true potential. 

Now as for the this years draft class, its hard to tell. Pryor didnt have the season that his mouth was proclaiming, but I think that this kid could produce for the Jets with some other pieces around him in the secondary. Jordan Matthews was a guy that I felt we should have moved up for. He was drafted in the 2nd round and I felt that he was a 1st round talent, instead we have Jace Amaro, another guy who its hard to judge given its his first year, but Jace (35 rec, 311yds, 2td's) did have a much better rookie season than the two "studs" who were drafted before him in Eric Ebron (23 rec, 221 yds, 1 td) and Austin Seferian- Jenkins (21 rec 221yds 2td's). 

I think that we need to blow up everything and start from scratch, though I think in the future we'll see that Idzik's drafting wasnt as bad as we proclaim today, it sure as hell could have been better though. 

As others have pointd out rex likes to boost his players up and tell them how good they are, how invincible they are.  The problem is that where this may work with  established vets who have done something in this league.  He does this with  every player, even raw rookies who have not played a snap in the league, this has relly hurt guys like Wilson and Pryor if you ask me.  Players beleive they are great without working and learning the pro game.  Same thing with Sanchez only exponentially worse, both he and Tanny  coddled him to the extreme.

Archived