Apparently the NFL Title Belt Is a (Pretend) Thing

Bombdirt

I found this while I was screwing arou--I mean working today and figured I'd share. Apparently, some bored fans came up with a pretend "title belt" for the NFL like they give out in pro wrestling.

The Packers started out with the championship belt after Super Bowl I. Then, the rules say that the "belt-holder" puts it on the line each week until another team beats them and takes it away. If you still have the belt at the end of the season (whether you won the Super Bowl or missed the playoffs but won your last regular-season game), you keep it until Week 1 the following year. Every team has had it at least once.

the-nfl-title-belt-is-nfl-fan-ingenuity-

The Jets last had "the belt" in 2010 heading into the AFC Championship game. They've had it for 13 weeks in all, which is 26th ranked in the league. (But it's probably not even that good when you take expansion teams into effect, who have had less time to win/keep the belt.) Seattle has it right now going into the Rams game Sunday.

the-nfl-title-belt-is-nfl-fan-ingenuity-

Anyway, you can see the full list of where the belt has been since the NFL's inception and all the stats here, if you're bored enough to check it out. It's kind of interesting.

I don't get this. Can someone explain?

It's just a pretend thing some NFL fans made up. They're tracking an imaginary "championship belt" that started with the Packers winning Super Bowl 1. The next team to beat Green Bay that next year would "win" the pretend belt (like they do in pro wrestling), then the next team to beat that team would get it, and so on. Just something for fun.

It's just a pretend thing some NFL fans made up. They're tracking an imaginary "championship belt" that started with the Packers winning Super Bowl 1. The next team to beat Green Bay that next year would "win" the pretend belt (like they do in pro wrestling), then the next team to beat that team would get it, and so on. Just something for fun.

What what if you do battle, but dont put the belt on the line like they do in wrestling sometimes? It could be like a non title match? This is confusing! 

Archived