Woody's mistake with Idzik....

ebonix

www.nfl.com         Ian Rappoport  writes Woody was fooled by Idzik......

..."

The Jets believed they were tricked a little bit by Idzik spouting football knowledge he didn't really have, explaining the team's desire for outside help this time around, such as NFL Media's Charley Casserly and former Packers executive Ron Wolf.

One problem owner Woody Johnson might run into, though, is the fact that his quarterback situation with Geno Smith could scare off some potential candidates. Rapoport said one GM candidate "has expressed some nervousness" about it.

This is nothing new, of course. During the Jets' last search, they had a hard time attracting certain candidates due to the team's salary-cap situation and roster makeup. Several of their early favorites, like current Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell, ended up bolting for other jobs.

Rapoport gave names of four GM candidates the Jets hope to interview: George Paton (Vikings), Ryan Pace (Saints), Trent Kirchner (Seahawks) and Will McClay (Cowboys).

Breaking up with a general manager after just two seasons is unusual, but shows how desperate the Jets are for a turnaround. Perhaps this time, Johnson will realize that a surplus of draft picks and cap space does him no good without a general manager who knows how to use them.

If they're worried about not walking into a perfect or near-perfect situation, that's fine by me. I want a GM who's up to the challenge of dragging this team into being a relevant football entity, rather than a worn-out punchline. If they don't think they can identify and acquire talented players at the game's most important positions, they can stay the hell away from us.

If they're worried about not walking into a perfect or near-perfect situation, that's fine by me. I want a GM who's up to the challenge of dragging this team into being a relevant football entity, rather than a worn-out punchline. If they don't think they can identify and acquire talented players at the game's most important positions, they can stay the hell away from us.

post of the week ^^^

Why would a GM candidate be worried about a backup QB they could easily cut? These articles are such garbage.

They aren't worried about cutting Geno. They are worried that Geno is the best QB on the roster. That's a serious problem.

I mean, do GM jobs typically come available for teams that are not in need of significant overhauls? Most often, I'm sure at the QB position? Are candidates really holding out hope that the Seahawks, Patriots, or Packers will come calling? If a guy is afraid of a rebuild, I certainly don't want him.

www.nfl.com Ian Rappoport writes Woody was fooled by Idzik......

..."

The Jets believed they were tricked a little bit by Idzik spouting football knowledge he didn't really have, explaining the team's desire for outside help this time around, such as NFL Media's Charley Casserly and former Packers executive Ron Wolf.

One problem owner Woody Johnson might run into, though, is the fact that his quarterback situation with Geno Smith could scare off some potential candidates. Rapoport said one GM candidate "has expressed some nervousness" about it.

This is nothing new, of course. During the Jets' last search, they had a hard time attracting certain candidates due to the team's salary-cap situation and roster makeup. Several of their early favorites, like current Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell, ended up bolting for other jobs.

Rapoport gave names of four GM candidates the Jets hope to interview: George Paton (Vikings), Ryan Pace (Saints), Trent Kirchner (Seahawks) and Will McClay (Cowboys).

Breaking up with a general manager after just two seasons is unusual, but shows how desperate the Jets are for a turnaround. Perhaps this time, Johnson will realize that a surplus of draft picks and cap space does him no good without a general manager who knows how to use them.

Jimmy Sexton has been busy, I see.

Excellent post.

I want a GM who relishes the challenge of being THE guy to finally turn the Jets around. The new HC he hires should feel the same. The culture needs to change.

Archived