at least we have a top 6 pick and a ton of cap space

Jets723

True. But our team is also devoid of talent and a competent starting QB, so that's gonna take some air out of our sails for a bit.

We are NOT "devoid of talent".  Not even close, so please, now that Rex is gone we can dispense with the Rex Apologist Talking Points.

We have very solid talent on the O-line, D-Line, RB, WR, TE positions.

We need help obviously at QB (above all else), the Defensive Backfield (close to as bad as QB) and LB, and another starter WR (at least).

Some depth/help on the O-line wouldn't hurt, but every team can say that.

We are a mid-level talented team, with a massive cap spending available, and some decently high picks.

A competent GM, and a competent Head Coach....IF we can find someone who can be "average" at least at QB......and we can compete next year for the Division.

We are not nearly as far off, especially with the cap space available for the new GM, as Rex Apologists want to make out.

We are NOT "devoid of talent".  Not even close, so please, now that Rex is gone we can dispense with the Rex Apologist Talking Points.

We need help obviously at QB (above all else), the Defensive Backfield (close to as bad as QB) and LB, and another starter WR (at least).

We are a mid-level talented team, with a massive cap spending available, and some decently high picks.

A competent GM, and a competent Head Coach....IF we can find someone who can be "average" at least at QB......and we can compete next year for the Division.

We are not nearly as far off, especially with the cap space available for the new GM, as Rex Apologists want to make out.

Lol. I got a chuckle out of this post about the DB's. Truth in what you are stating here though.

The perk to the cap space is it makes it a more appealing job for a competent GM to come into. Two years ago Idzik was completely restricted in terms of what he could do. A new GM can go out and get some guys in what should be a pretty solid open FA period, or just build internally via the draft and have the space to re-sign quality players like Wilkerson and Richardson who are already on the roster. I think a blend of the two would probably be ideal.

Interesting question will be whether or not the Jets move to more of a base 4-3 with their new HC.

lol.

Only group that's solid there is the DL. Jets have a top-flight center, and not much else on the OL. Are we counting Percy Harvin in with the WRs? Because Decker and Kerley don't qualify as "very solid," either. Amaro has a ways to go still before he's very solid. I like Ivory, but he's still a guy who averages less than 55 yards rushing a game. Powell is a decent complimentary piece, but he's a free agent next year. He and CJ are probably both gone. So who's the very solid talent there?

Given the drastic needs at QB and CB, as well as other needs at LB, this team is a long ways off talent-wise.

lol.

Only group that's solid there is the DL. Jets have a top-flight center, and not much else on the OL. Are we counting Percy Harvin in with the WRs? Because Decker and Kerley don't qualify as "very solid," either. Amaro has a ways to go still before he's very solid. I like Ivory, but he's still a guy who averages less than 55 yards rushing a game. Powell is a decent complimentary piece, but he's a free agent next year. He and CJ are probably both gone. So who's the very solid talent there?

Given the drastic needs at QB and CB, as well as other needs at LB, this team is a long ways off talent-wise.

You're simply wrong on the O-line. 

The O-line is just fine, above average in their performance.  I'd like to see it improved, because I believe winning starts and ends in the trenches, but it's not nearly the talentless black hole excuse-makers for Geno ro Rex like to make it out to be.

Decker and Kerley showed yesterday how good they can be when a QB actually can hit them.  No, Harvin isn't remotely good a WR enough to be worth keeping at that cost, and yes, I'd like to acquire another WR starter.  That's not being 'talent-less" by any stretch.

Amaro is just fine, I'm not sure what was expected, 1,800 yards and 50 TD's with a sh*thole like Geno Smith throwing to him in a MM Offense that seems to consciously avoid the TE most days?  He's not proven yet, but I look forward ot seeing himw ith a decent O-Co, system and QB (presuming we ever find any of those things).

RB a need?  Really?

Yes, we have drastic holes at QB and CB.  QB is a talent hole of epic proportions.  Clear cut #1 need.

CB we have two high draft picks who may never be anything now and a high-draft pick Safety who may be the same.  We need to improve it, with veterans IMO, and see if the investment in those kids will ever pay off.  We COULD be far better than talentless at DB, or we could be utterly lost there.  Given the injuries, and youth, we simply do not know yet.

You're simply wrong on the O-line. 

The O-line is just fine, above average in their performance.  I'd like to see it improved, because I believe winning starts and ends in the trenches, but it's not nearly the talentless black hole excuse-makers for Geno ro Rex like to make it out to be.

Decker and Kerley showed yesterday how good they can be when a QB actually can hit them.  No, Harvin isn't remotely good a WR enough to be worth keeping at that cost, and yes, I'd like to acquire another WR starter.  That's not being 'talent-less" by any stretch.

Amaro is just fine, I'm not sure what was expected, 1,800 yards and 50 TD's with a sh*thole like Geno Smith throwing to him in a MM Offense that seems to consciously avoid the TE most days?  He's not proven yet, but I look forward ot seeing himw ith a decent O-Co, system and QB (presuming we ever find any of those things).

RB a need?  Really?

Yes, we have drastic holes at QB and CB.  QB is a talent hole of epic proportions.  Clear cut #1 need.

CB we have two high draft picks who may never be anything now and a high-draft pick Safety who may be the same.  We need to improve it, with veterans IMO, and see if the investment in those kids will ever pay off.  We COULD be far better than talentless at DB, or we could be utterly lost there.  Given the injuries, and youth, we simply do not know yet.

You're simply wrong. Nowhere on this post do you demonstrate that the Jets are "very solid" in any of these areas.

The OL is a real concern. D'Brick has not been the same player over the last couple years. And being a guy who relies on finesse rather than brute force, he's really not a guy who can be moved elsewhere. Breno and Colon are run of the mill blockers, but over achieve when it comes to committing penalties. Jets need a lot of help here, and it won't surprise me at all if they draft an OT in the first round.

I'm not sold on Amaro. He comes here as a receiver, not a capable blocker, and his hands are hot & cold, and his running ability is also nothing special. I don't hate the guy, but he needs to develop both as a blocker and a more consistent receiver. Cumberland? Sudfeld? It's not the first position i overhaul, but it's also no great shakes.

Decker and Kerley are okay, and Harvin is more of a jack of all trades than a true #1 who I expect the new regime will cut ties with. That leaves the Jets lacking a starting WR, and really, a #1 WR. So no, not a very solid group.

Only RB likely to still be on the roster next year is Ivory, a guy who averages less than 55 yards a game. I like him, but RB is certainly a need. Probably a vet and a draft pick.

Jets have a lot of holes, and other holes filled with mediocrity. The new guy has his work cut out for him.

True. But our team is also devoid of talent and a competent starting QB, so that's gonna take some air out of our sails for a bit.

Aren't you pissed Geno had to have a perfect day in the last game? And the off season seesaw with Geno begins...

You're simply wrong. Nowhere on this post do you demonstrate that the Jets are "very solid" in any of these areas.

The OL is a real concern. D'Brick has not been the same player over the last couple years. And being a guy who relies on finesse rather than brute force, he's really not a guy who can be moved elsewhere. Breno and Colon are run of the mill blockers, but over achieve when it comes to committing penalties. Jets need a lot of help here, and it won't surprise me at all if they draft an OT in the first round.

I'm not sold on Amaro. He comes here as a receiver, not a capable blocker, and his hands are hot & cold, and his running ability is also nothing special. I don't hate the guy, but he needs to develop both as a blocker and a more consistent receiver. Cumberland? Sudfeld? It's not the first position i overhaul, but it's also no great shakes.

Decker and Kerley are okay, and Harvin is more of a jack of all trades than a true #1 who I expect the new regime will cut ties with. That leaves the Jets lacking a starting WR, and really, a #1 WR. So no, not a very solid group.

Only RB likely to still be on the roster next year is Ivory, a guy who averages less than 55 yards a game. I like him, but RB is certainly a need. Probably a vet and a draft pick.

Jets have a lot of holes, and other holes filled with mediocrity. The new guy has his work cut out for him.

Sure, lets focus on the O-line instead of actual needs.  Lets pretend the O-line is the problem, not the sh*tty QB behind him making them look bad. 

You don't have to be "sold" on Amaro, he's good enough that TE simply isn't a need.

Seems you confuse "need" with "wouldn't mind".  O-line, overall, not a need.  TE, not a need.  RB, not a need. 

Some O-line depth will be added, likely late in the draft or via cheap Vet FA.  TE will be Amaro.  RB will be Ivory and again (maybe) a Vet or late draft pick. 

DB, LB, WR, those are needs. Those require we spend our cap space, our high draft picks, etc.

Bet you're a BAP Drafter too, and would select a Defensive Tackle at #6 this year.

Sure, lets focus on the O-line instead of actual needs.  Lets pretend the O-line is the problem, not the sh*tty QB behind him making them look bad. 

You don't have to be "sold" on Amaro, he's good enough that TE simply isn't a need.

Seems you confuse "need" with "wouldn't mind".  O-line, overall, not a need.  TE, not a need.  RB, not a need. 

Some O-line depth will be added, likely late in the draft or via cheap Vet FA.  TE will be Amaro.  RB will be Ivory and again (maybe) a Vet or late draft pick. 

DB, LB, WR, those are needs. Those require we spend our cap space, our high draft picks, etc.

Bet you're a BAP Drafter too, and would select a Defensive Tackle at #6 this year.

They should bring back Powell and a coach who values players who can actually play and those who are done (CJ).

This team is absolutely terrible. 

This is entirely correct.

The problem with the Jets is unfortunately at the one position that matters most - QB....

The team has plenty of talent, with a few holes that can easily be filled with our cap money.  a top flight WR, G, CB and maybe a MLB (once we move to a 4-3) $40mm can get you those and keep your other key players...

And with the leftover money you get yourself a competent veteran QB to play while you groom whomever you draft.

If

With the cap room we have, I would be expecting us to land at least one marquis FA and at least one to two other solid guys, even after extending Wilk.

My top three targets at this point (everything subject to change of course):  Iaputi, Cobb, Flowers.  All three offer great improvement at positions of need.  Give me one of them, plus some reasonable mid-level upgrades in a few other spots, and then let's see where we are going into the draft season.  If the new regime really likes one of the top QBs, then go after him.

With the cap room we have, I would be expecting us to land at least one marquis FA and at least one to two other solid guys, even after extending Wilk.

My top three targets at this point (everything subject to change of course):  Iaputi, Cobb, Flowers.  All three offer great improvement at positions of need.  Give me one of them, plus some reasonable mid-level upgrades in a few other spots, and then let's see where we are going into the draft season.  If the new regime really likes one of the top QBs, then go after him.

all 3 please and Connor Cook and don't look back ...and trade Geno to the Lingere Football League.

We are NOT "devoid of talent". Not even close, so please, now that Rex is gone we can dispense with the Rex Apologist Talking Points.

Any team without a quality starting QB is incredibly far off.

The QB is terrible, the OL is mediocre at best. It won't surprise anyone if the Jets draft an OT #1 after spending heavily on one of the best guards available in free agency. It's an area of real need. Not depth, starters are needed.

Ivory is the only RB likely to still be on the roster next year. I don't see Powell or CJ coming back. Ivory's a guy with his own injury history, and is best suited as part of a committee. With no other committee members on the roster, it's a need. Probably a vet and a mid-round pick.

Glad to see you've moved the WR position from "very solid" to "need," (that was easy, wasn't it?) and have downgraded everything else from "very solid," to simply "not a need." The TE's are okay, but not very solid yet. You should really move the OL and RB positions to the need category, too, because they are.

And with $40-50M in cap space to spend in free agency, I would definitely shore up every position as best as I could heading into the draft to free me up to take the BAP. And if the DT on the board is so clearly ahead of any other position when I pick - I pick him, absolutely. It's a big ticket position and worthy of a high pick. Maybe I traded Wilkerson already, or it frees me up to trade him or another DL before they reach their big payday. It's the smart strategy. Significantly smarter than reaching for a lesser prospect because of a perceived need. You make those reaches later in the draft. The first round is all about getting the best player, period.

This team is absolutely terrible. 

This team is far from terrible.  They won 4 games with literally the worst starting QB in the league and were right in many others.  With just average QB play and if they fill of few of they key holes this is a contending playoff team... 

This team is far from terrible.  They won 4 games with literally the worst starting QB in the league and were right in many others.  With just average QB play and if they fill of few of they key holes this is a contending playoff team... 

Not worth the effort, the Rex manlovers have to believe this was the least talented team ever, otherwise they might actually have to admit that Rex didn't, actually, make the most of the talent he had.

Any team without a quality starting QB is incredibly far off.

This is true, but that's not the point he was making (at least the point I think he was making)  We all know the QB is bad and the most important position in all of sports....with that said - the talent on the team outside of QB is not terrible...If fact that's a lot to be excited about...

Idzik missed on his QB - that's what cost him his job.  The rest is just noise.

The roster is terrible. 

This is true, but that's not the point he was making (at least the point I think he was making) We all know the QB is bad and the most important position in all of sports....with that said - the talent on the team outside of QB is not terrible...If fact that's a lot to be excited about...

Idzik missed on his QB - that's what cost him his job. The rest is just noise.

His point is moot because any team without a starting caliber QB or any prospect of acquiring one is incredibly far off. Until you find one, you're basically treading water until you do.

His point is moot because any team without a starting caliber QB or any prospect of acquiring one is incredibly far off. Until you find one, you're basically treading water until you do.

Agreed.

Whoever the new GM is - has to make this his top priority....find a vet or make a big move to trade up.  Not easy but that's the NFL.

Archived