Westhoff for HC?

Bob

He said on yesterday's postgame show on SNY that he wanted the job and thought he deserved it six years ago.

I always loved his attitude and the success he had with the ST unit. I don't know if he's even interested, anymore, and he's already 66 years old, but I wonder if he has thrown his hat in the ring.

He said on yesterday's postgame show on SNY that he wanted the job and thought he deserved it six years ago.

I always loved his attitude and the success he had with the ST unit. I don't know if he's even interested, anymore, and he's already 66 years old, but I wonder if he has thrown his hat in the ring.

Yeah because he's such a great ST coach who has never coached an offense or defense in the league. What could go wrong?

Yeah because he's such a great ST coach who has never coached an offense or defense in the league. What could go wrong?

Ryan had never coached an offense or special teams in the league, either.

Oh, right. Good point.

Westhoff is too old now, but John Harbaugh was a ST coach with even less experience than westy and he has won a SB and pretty much makes the playoffs every year.

Love Westhoff, but he's too old. I don't want a 66 year old head coach to come in unless he's had success as a head coach at a high level.

Also, I don't want someone who is already familiar with our sh*tty players. I want someone who can come in and evaluate them with zero emotional attachment.

I said this months ago. 

Love Westhoff, but he's too old. I don't want a 66 year old head coach to come in unless he's had success as a head coach at a high level.

Also, I don't want someone who is already familiar with our sh*tty players. I want someone who can come in and evaluate them with zero emotional attachment.

How many guys will be on this team since Westy last coached here? 6? Wilk, Powell, Kerley, Mangold, Dbrick, and Folk? Wilson, Harris, Landry, Pace, and Cumberland will all prob be shown the door. I might be missing a few, but not many.

Westhoff is too old now, but John Harbaugh was a ST coach with even less experience than westy and he has won a SB and pretty much makes the playoffs every year.

Westhoff has been a ST coach forever. Never a DC or an OC. Neither was John. However, Westy had been in the league forever and nobody in the NFL wanted him as their HC, OC or DC. ST was his specialty and he was always viewed as such. I see he had some DL and OL experience, but never more than that. 

He wanted the job when? Years ago?

I thought he quit coaching due to health reasons - he couldn't handle the long hours and traveling.

Westhoff has been a ST coach forever. Never a DC or an OC. Neither was John. However, Westy had been in the league forever and nobody in the NFL wanted him as their HC, OC or DC. ST was his specialty and he was always viewed as such. I see he had some DL and OL experience, but never more than that. 

Westhoff also had health issues that were well known. Plus it's uncommon to promote a career ST coach to HC. It happened in Baltimore, and around that time Westhoff was femur-deep in needing a femur replacement. He wasn't even well enough then to be a full time ST coach, let alone a full time HC.

The way things were done in the past, it wasn't even common for someone to be promoted to HC without prior OC/DC experience (successful experience). There was a time, for several years, that the only HC's in the NFL without prior OC/DC experience were Andy Reid and Herm Edwards.

Anyway the point is it's just uncommon. It would have been less of a shock for Westhoff - if healthy at the time - to get a shot at a HC gig than John Harbaugh. He's been around enough offenses and defenses, even if he was "only" the STC.

hire this beast!!

make it happen, ahh, whoever becomes GM!!

seriously though, i would interview westy if he's still interested..

66 isn't that old & he is a legit football guy..

Archived