Thoughts on the 6th overall pick...

k-met57

Anyone talk themself's into the 6th pick being fine? i was pretty bummed about dropping from 4-6 but thinking about it some more, i think this may be a blessing in disguise. Here are the top 6 right now:

Winston

Mariotta

Cooper

Ray

Gregory

L.Williams

you can really make an argument for any of those guys helping the jets big time, and worst case scenario the jets could have a pick of the best OL in the draft if they don't like one of the above.

Personally i wanted cooper, he may not be at 6...then again...not sure WR is the position to go with anyways when you have no QB and so many other holes.

I also get the people that want Mariotta or Winston, but both guys are a huge gamble either on the field, or off the field. Can the jets really afford to blow this pick? not if we want to see the playoffs any time soon. Would i take either? yes. but thats only because i'd keep picking QB's until i hit one. you can build a team around a QB if u hit one one in the draft.

Considering Williams/Gregory are probably too talented to drop to 6, it sounds like worst case scenario for us is Shane Ray who is a Von Miller type of a talent, and the type of pass rusher we haven't had since John Abraham.

Anyways, we have the cap space and whatever holes we don't fill in the draft we will have to try and fill by bringing in guys who can actually play (not Dimitry Patterson). All we need out of this draft is a couple of really good football players...and i think picking at 6 is a really good start no matte which way the draft falls.

My best case scenario after Cooper at 6 is probably drafting Ray or the best available OT and then moving back up into round 1 for Kevin White or Strong.

I don't know much about the kids coming out in the draft until we get closer to the combine. I don't watch much college football but once the names start becoming more familiar I watch a lot of tape as well as the combine. Is Ray an OLB? 

i think he is a DE in college, but he is one of those 240ish DE's that project at pass rushing LB's...

I think the last two times the Jets picked at 6 they took Richard Todd, and Vernon Gholston.

Not to worry, what could go wrong?

i dont remember much about Todd, but Gholston was the right pick at the time...he just ended up being a dog (kind of like Clowney). By all accounts there are no dogs in the top 6 this year. you can poke fun, but with the right football leadership i have faith the jets will make the right pick for the franchise and for the future.

If Mariota, Winston, or Hundley or unavailable by the 6th pick, I'd like to see the Jets pick up Cooper or Parker.

Wondering where Hundley will end up going but I can see him being one of those late first guys. I feel like his stock will rise bc he'll be one of those guys who will have everything you're looking for without pads. I would love for the Jets to take him, just not sure I trust him enough in the first round though. 

If Mariota, Winston, or Hundley or unavailable by the 6th pick, I'd like to see the Jets pick up Cooper or Parker.

Brett Hundley going in the top 5? lol

Cooper I would love to get at 6 but that's not happening.  I can see the draft playing out like this:

1. TB - Winston/Mariota (whatever is their preference)

2. Ten - Winston/Mariota (whoever is left)

3. Jags - Cooper

4. Raiders - Leonard Williams

5. Redskins - Randy Gregory

Anyone talk themself's into the 6th pick being fine? i was pretty bummed about dropping from 4-6 but thinking about it some more, i think this may be a blessing in disguise. Here are the top 6 right now:

Winston

Mariotta

Cooper

Ray

Gregory

L.Williams

you can really make an argument for any of those guys helping the jets big time, and worst case scenario the jets could have a pick of the best OL in the draft if they don't like one of the above.

Personally i wanted cooper, he may not be at 6...then again...not sure WR is the position to go with anyways when you have no QB and so many other holes.

I also get the people that want Mariotta or Winston, but both guys are a huge gamble either on the field, or off the field. Can the jets really afford to blow this pick? not if we want to see the playoffs any time soon. Would i take either? yes. but thats only because i'd keep picking QB's until i hit one. you can build a team around a QB if u hit one one in the draft.

Considering Williams/Gregory are probably too talented to drop to 6, it sounds like worst case scenario for us is Shane Ray who is a Von Miller type of a talent, and the type of pass rusher we haven't had since John Abraham.

Anyways, we have the cap space and whatever holes we don't fill in the draft we will have to try and fill by bringing in guys who can actually play (not Dimitry Patterson). All we need out of this draft is a couple of really good football players...and i think picking at 6 is a really good start no matte which way the draft falls.

My best case scenario after Cooper at 6 is probably drafting Ray or the best available OT and then moving back up into round 1 for Kevin White or Strong.

Cosign. OL With the first pick if Cooper is gone. Then trade back into the first for Jaelen Strong or Kevin White.

Im not sure Lee will be a bigtime #1, Shorts Hurns and Robinson are decent. I think their big problem is Bortles who IMO will bust like david carr

Having a "number 1" is overrated. The good teams don't keep drafting receivers until they have a "number 1", they draft enough receivers to have a productive passing game.

Cooper at 6. If the Raiders take him then Brandon Scherff all the way, guy is an animal and would be a great heir to Mangold as the boss hog of the offensive line.

The Jets will have the opportunity to jump Oakland via a trade up with the Jaguars. It shouldn't take too much to do it either considering it is only 3 spots.

If the Jets had been picking three this same thread exists "Oh Noes, we miss out on both QBs!" 

like we'd be so happy with Leonard Williams. 

3 isn't much better than 6.  its the difference between 1 and 3 that's worth crying about 

it's entirely possible Cooper is there at 6. He probably isn't going to be a blazing fast prospect 

also,  we don't know who the JPP or ODBJ or other acronym will be this year.  There could even be a QB with an amazing Senior Bowl week etc. 

It's way too early for this sort of moaning.

If the Jets had been picking three this same thread exists "Oh Noes, we miss out on both QBs!" 

like we'd be so happy with Leonard Williams. 

3 isn't much better than 6.  its the difference between 1 and 3 that's worth crying about 

It's way too early for this sort of moaning.

1st off it's entirely possible Cooper is there at 6. He probably isn't going to be a blazing fast prospect 

2nd, we don't know who the JPP or ODBJ or other acronym will be this year.  There could even be a QB with an amazing Senior Bowl week etc. Way too early to worry about it. I

This is something that a lot of Jet fans who are assuming we have no chance at Cooper are missing. Cooper is a player with game speed that relies very much on his route running. His 40 time is not going to be great for a potential top 5 wide receiver and could easily drop him out of the top 5.

Especially since the Raiders are enamored with 40 times and bench press.

Top 8 players in draft as we speak. The combine can change this. Also we need to find out who is declaring.

1. Marcus Marriota

2. Leonard Williams

3. Shane Ray

4. Jalen Strong

5. Connor Cook

6. Randy Gregory

7. Todd Gurley

8. Nate Orchard

Winston like I did last year with Clowney can't be on my list because of conduct and his prone to get in trouble.

If Dorial Green Beckham comes out he is on this list but he is probably going to play for Oklahoma.

Top 8 players in draft as we speak. The combine can change this. Also we need to find out who is declaring.

1. Marcus Marriota

2. Leonard Williams

3. Shane Ray

4. Jalen Strong

5. Connor Cook

6. Randy Gregory

7. Todd Gurley

8. Nate Orchard

Winston like I did last year with Clowney can't be on my list because of conduct and his prone to get in trouble.

If Dorial Green Beckham comes out he is on this list but he is probably going to play for Oklahoma.

Connor Cook has already said he's going back to school for his senior year.

Read that and immediately thought of Matt Millen.

u don't have to go that far back.

looks at tampa. did they really need to spend a top 10 pick on a receiver and then pick up a TE in the second? meanwhile they were 4th in the NFL is sacks allowed and 29th in rushing yards per game. its just dumb.

Archived