Jets interviewing Kirchner personnel director for Seattle friday- pft

Barkus

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/jets-also-seek-permission-to-interview-seattle-pro-personnel-director-trent-kirchner/

Jets to interview Seattle pro personnel director Trent Kirchner

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EST

Trent Kirchner

The New York Jets may be able to knock out interviews for both their open head coach and general manager positions during their trip to Seattle later this week.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, the Jets are also seeking permission from the Seattle Seahawks to interview pro personnel director Trent Kirchner. A league source said Kirchner will interview for the job later this week.

Kirchner has served as Seattle’s pro personnel director the last two seasons after being promoted from assistant pro personnel director in 2013. Kirchner joined the Seahawks front office when Seattle hired John Schneider as general manager in 2010.

The Jets fired general manager John Idzik on Monday, another former member of Seattle’s front office, after two seasons in the role. However, Kirchner is much more of a football scout and evaluator than Idzik was for the Seahawks. Idzik’s role with Seattle was more based in contracts and managing the team’s salary cap. Kirchner is one of Schneider’s key talent evaluators that has helped build one of the league’s most talented rosters.

The Jets are reportedly set to interview Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn for their head coaching vacancy on Friday night. They are expected to meet with Kirchner around that time as well.

Quinn and Kirchner work for me.

I like seeing Woody move fast, not a bad duo.

If you want to interview Seattle personnel for our vacant positions, It is either by this Saturday or you have to wait until late January or February. Similarly, with the other three bye week teams

That's why it is so laughable to hear Jet fans and sports talk hosts and callers whining about C and W meeting with coaches before a GM is hired

Damn, It's like the entire league is infatuated with picking at the Seahawks front office,

I'm infatuated too. Every time I watch the defense I'm amazed at the size, speed, and ferocity of their players...pretty much from top to bottom.

If that personnel guy had a big hand in evaluating and drafting those players, count me in.

Damn, It's like the entire league is infatuated with picking at the Seahawks front office,

It's one of the draw backs of winning the Super Bowl. Every bad team in the league wants to hire your coordinators and FO people away, hoping they get the right guy that contributed to the teams success. It's one of the good points, for the coordinators

It's one of the draw backs of winning the Super Bowl. Every bad team in the league wants to hire your coordinators and FO people away, hoping they get the right guy that contributed to the teams success. It's one of the good points, for the coordinators

Completely overvaluing these guys. The jets are about to interview Tom Cable and I KNOW its because he's the offensive line coach and assistant coach for the seahawks. sh*t is getting ridiculous. 

This would be a great combo. Again it has been said, start with these two and keep interviewing. Find the best that you can find, we as fans have no idea who that is as we can not sit in on interviews. Hope the two football men in the room know what talent is and how to recognize it.

the benefit is kirchner has already been helping to evaluate personnel for quinn's defense. I would assume they already have some sort of working relationship. Quinn's defense is #1 in points allowed for the past 3yrs. That how defenses win games, by not allowing points. Rex D was #6 for yards but #28 for points allowed. Give me the defense that does not allow the other team to score!

Completely overvaluing these guys. The jets are about to interview Tom Cable and I KNOW its because he's the offensive line coach and assistant coach for the seahawks. sh*t is getting ridiculous. 

Villain whether or not they are over valued or even the right guy for the job we are interviewing the right type of guys and that's a step in the right direction ... Talent evaluators not Accountants . Are there really any big name guys out there with years and years of success ? Other than the 2 who are helping with the search . The Jets will wind up with a Pro Personnel director as their new GM interviewing the ones who have been successful seems like what we are targeting

Villain whether or not they are over valued or even the right guy for the job we are interviewing the right type of guys and that's a step in the right direction ... Talent evaluators not Accountants . Are there really any big name guys out there with years and years of success ? Other than the 2 who are helping with the search . The Jets will wind up with a Pro Personnel director as their new GM interviewing the ones who have been successful seems like what we are targeting

Is it a step in the right direction? Absolutely. That step however was taken yesterday morning with the firing of the GM/HC. But Tom Cable Smashmouth???? C'mon brother....atleast meet me half way with that one man! lol. 

Is it a step in the right direction? Absolutely. That step however was taken yesterday morning with the firing of the GM/HC. But Tom Cable Smashmouth???? C'mon brother....atleast meet me half way with that one man! lol. 

I don't want Cable any where near this team  .... And I don't think he will be. I was just speaking generally about the situation

I don't want Cable any where near this team  .... And I don't think he will be. I was just speaking generally about the situation

But thats my point. It really seems like Cable is only getting consideration because he's part of the Seattle organization. Thats not how it should be done, if anything I'd rather it be on the fact that he got the Raiders to an 8-8 record and went undefeated in his division that year as well. I could get behind though if I decided to. But I feel like all of a Sudden we have to overly pick at the Seattle Seahawks coaching staff/front office. All I'm saying is that its becoming very overrated. 

the benefit is kirchner has already been helping to evaluate personnel for quinn's defense. I would assume they already have some sort of working relationship. Quinn's defense is #1 in points allowed for the past 3yrs. That how defenses win games, by not allowing points. Rex D was #6 for yards but #28 for points allowed. Give me the defense that does not allow the other team to score!

Minor thing. This is Quinn's 2nd yr as DC. Bradley was DC in '12 and then became Jax HC. Quinn was univ of Fl DC '11-'12. Quinn is still obviously highly regarded and has working relationship w/Kirchner.

But thats my point. It really seems like Cable is only getting consideration because he's part of the Seattle organization. Thats not how it should be done, if anything I'd rather it be on the fact that he got the Raiders to an 8-8 record and went undefeated in his division that year as well. I could get behind though if I decided to. But I feel like all of a Sudden we have to overly pick at the Seattle Seahawks coaching staff/front office. All I'm saying is that its becoming very overrated. 

I see your point and I agree in the case of Cable since he's had nothing to do with the process of bringing in all those talented players . Trent Kirchner however is a must interview IMO

I agree.That's the defense's job, right? Not to give up points.

FWIW. Just heard Hub Arkush former Pro Football Weekly editor speak highly of Kirchner. He was speaking from a Bears perspective but was hoping the Bears would interview him. He also likes Duke Tobin & Nick Caserio and obviously DeCosta ("everyone's #1 choice").

Archived