Reports state Tom Cable being considered for Jets HC

long suffering jets fan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't hate it. He actually got the Raiders to look like a semi-competent football team, as did Hue Jackson, another name I'd be happy to hear added to the search.

While I'd prefer a great offensive strategist, Cable certainly has legit chops as an offensive line coach. And, yeah, he punched the sh*t out of a guy. F*ck yeah, I say. After 6 years of talk, I want a man of action.

One of 30 names being thrown out there. Complain if you hear his name as a finalist.

Nothing to see here until then.

1 of 5:

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Jets have requested interviews with Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, Seattle assistant head coach Tom Cable, Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich and Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

1 of 5:

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Jets have requested interviews with Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, Seattle assistant head coach Tom Cable, Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich and Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

To be honest. I think Gary Kubiak or Dan Quinn would be excellent coices of the group. However, Woody must understand that. a "quick fix" is not going to solve this restructure.

He can not be "penny sound, pound foolish" in his final choice.

Or history will repeat itself...

Wouldn't hate it. He actually got the Raiders to look like a semi-competent football team, as did Hue Jackson, another name I'd be happy to hear added to the search.

While I'd prefer a great offensive strategist, Cable certainly has legit chops as an offensive line coach. And, yeah, he punched the sh*t out of a guy. F*ck yeah, I say. After 6 years of talk, I want a man of action.

Perfect for "smashmouth" football. 

Today's athletes don't like highly volatile white guys in a position of power and a history of violence.

They get all uppity.

Definitely wouldn't be happy with this choice. We need a calm manager that comes in demanding respect with his history of tough-love, success, and fairness, not George, the Animal, Steele.

Interesting choice. People look at his overall record with the Raiders and go ugh, but he was trending upwards. Fired after going 

8-8 in 2010 including 6-0 in the division.

That's my impression of the guy.  In Davis' last years the Raiders, for decades a successful franchise, were chaotic.  Cable was hired as their yearly replacement-that's what they were down to-and actually impressed for awhile.  If anything, his ability to put something together under those conditions speaks well for him.

So two of the names being thrown around are Cable and Hue Jackson. The shining flowers of the cesspool knows as the Raiders. What can go wrong with that.

I know...this is puzzling.. This I what casserly and wolf come up with??... "Lets go rape an pillage the raiders!"?? WTF!!??

If cable is the guy I'm thinking of, im completely baffled

Why is it such a dealbreaker that they used to coach the Raiders? For one thing, Cable and Jackson actually had that team looking credible. Second, was Mike Shanahan a sh*t coach? He got about the same cup of coffee as Raiders head coach that Cable and Jackson did. Not saying either is on the level of Shanahan, but being fired by crazy ass Al Davis or his moron son is not the indictment on their coaching skills the way some of you seem to believe.

Why is it such a dealbreaker that they used to coach the Raiders? For one thing, Cable and Jackson actually had that team looking credible. Second, was Mike Shanahan a sh*t coach? He got about the same cup of coffee as Raiders head coach that Cable and Jackson did. Not saying either is on the level of Shanahan, but being fired by crazy ass Al Davis or his moron son is not the indictment on their coaching skills the way some of you seem to believe.

You're right, but assaulting a coach and breaking his jaw on a meeting? No thanks.

You're right, but assaulting a coach and breaking his jaw on a meeting? No thanks.

ESPN's Outside the Lines aired a report this morning in which one ex-wife and one ex-girlfriend accused Oaklaind Raiders head coach Tom Cable of domestic violence.

Marie Lutz, who was dating Cable in January of 2009, described an incident in which Cable slapped her while driving to a restaurant. Ex-wife Sandy Cable says that in 1988, Tom Cable hit her with a closed-fist punch to the jaw. She also showed ESPN this hand-written letter from Cable in which he writes, "Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close, like that put a void between us."

Cable's been in the news recently for an incident involving former assistant coach Randy Hanson. Hanson accused Cable of breaking his jaw and threatening to kill him, though police chose not to pursue charges.

Johnson_Tor_002_Plan9_Color.jpg

ESPN's Outside the Lines aired a report this morning in which one ex-wife and one ex-girlfriend accused Oaklaind Raiders head coach Tom Cable of domestic violence.

Marie Lutz, who was dating Cable in January of 2009, described an incident in which Cable slapped her while driving to a restaurant. Ex-wife Sandy Cable says that in 1988, Tom Cable hit her with a closed-fist punch to the jaw. She also showed ESPN this hand-written letter from Cable in which he writes, "Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close, like that put a void between us."

Cable's been in the news recently for an incident involving former assistant coach Randy Hanson. Hanson accused Cable of breaking his jaw and threatening to kill him, though police chose not to pursue charges.

So... domestic violence got a lot of headlines this year.... see where I'm going with this?

you guys are hilarious, i mean nothing like basing your opinion of a head coaching candidate on looks. i mean honestly aside from the fact that cable coached the raiders, punched someone, and currently is an assistant...what do you really know? let me answer that for you...nothing.

let the guys with actual football experience do their job...i know crazy idea.

I wouldn't be excited about Cable only because he is not the "hot name" that we all like to see walk through the door, but with that being said...ill give anyone we hire the benefit of the doubt as long as Wolf, Casserly, Woody and new GM sign off.

Archived