Why are fans afraid of improving the Jets?

Jetster

Then I guess I'm not sure why they're trading Richardson or Wilkerson - two home grown, extremely talented players - to bring in a guy like Suh who's been a dirtbag during his NFL career on a big deal. Just use the cap space elsewhere.

You do it if you believe Suh is an upgrade. Upgrading the DL and adding another first round pick? That could be a pretty savvy opening move for the new GM.

I with ya jetster...signing Suh would have me very very excited..the team would have to really analyze the cap and weigh what type of cap hit all these DLine contracts are going to do to it.

I imagine it would be hard to justify all that cap space tied up in one unit.

But that DLine would be crazy good. Decisions, decisions.

The Giants won 2 Superbowls by being absolutely stacked at DL.  Of course they had (and still have) a very good QB, which we obviously don't.

Because signing guys like Suh when you already have a superior defensive line is foolish. The jets are not going to have 40 mill every year to spend in FA. This year is an abberation as players such as harrison, Wilkenson, and Richardson all require contracts or extensions in the next 2 years. You bring in Suh for Mccoy money of about 17 mill per, what do you pay Wilk and the others?  You can easily be paying 50 mill for just the dline in 3 years and still not have a qb. Suh is a fit for a team like NO or Atl.

The jets need players in the Def Backfield and at LB, depending on whether the new coach runs a 3-4 or a 4-3 should determine what type of players should fill those needs. . 

You do it if you believe Suh is an upgrade. Upgrading the DL and adding another first round pick? That could be a pretty savvy opening move for the new GM.

If the GM could get Suh while garnering a #1 for one of our current D-linemen, then I'd be on board.

I'm not in favor of signing Suh just to bolster the only strength the Jets have when the cap space could be better spent filling every other area.

Because signing guys like Suh when you already have a superior defensive line is foolish. The jets are not going to have 40 mill every year to spend in FA. This year is an abberation as players such as harrison, Wilkenson, and Richardson all require contracts or extensions in the next 2 years. You bring in Suh for Mccoy money of about 17 mill per, what do you pay Wilk and the others?  You can easily be paying 50 mill for just the dline in 3 years and still not have a qb. Suh is a fit for a team like NO or Atl.

The jets need players in the Def Backfield and at LB, depending on whether the new coach runs a 3-4 or a 4-3 should determine what type of players should fill those needs. .

You only make the move if you combine it with trading Wilk. You're not paying all those guys. If you believe Suh is an upgrade over Mo worth something to the tune of $5M/year more, you make that move and trade Mo. In return for Mo, you get an additional first round pick that you can use to fill one of those other need positions.

Now you've upgraded a strength and shored up an area of weakness, all rather inexpensively. It would be something of a no brainer if Suh wasn't such a head case.

resources have to go into the offense.  You have to score points in the NFL.  Spend the money on O-line and the best receiver you can find.

I think we sign one quality corner and hope one of the many guys we saw this year can play the other side - or our #1 pick from two years ago can stay healthy...

I agree to an extent but we have the worst secondary in the league. We need two free agent DB's and please no more wasting 1st rd picks on DB's.

There are several FAs I'd much rather sign than Suh simply because they address needs rather than strengths on this team.  Just off the top of my head, ignoring the fact that most of these guys will likely be franchised or resigned before they hit the market:

Dez Bryant

Demaryius Thomas

Julian Thomas

Randall Cobb

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Iaputti

Brandon Flowers

Darelle Revis

Give me one offensive guy and one CB off this list and it's a stellar offseason already.  Does Suh improve the Jets?  Yes.  Does he make as much of a difference for the dollars involved (not to mention the penalties and suspensions) as these other guys?  Probably not.  That doesn't make me afraid to improve the Jets.  It makes me thoughtful about the best way to do it.

I think the pats finally pay someone besides Brady and keep Revis.

I think we sign Iupati, Flowers or Chris Culliver and McCourty

Don't rule out Marshawn Lynch. Yeah rb isn't a need but we're cutting CJ and Powell is a free agent JAG. If we have a dominant OL with adding Iupati and Scherff with Lynch and Ivory in the backfield defenses have to put 8 in the box all day which helps whoever is the qb.

No one is answering the question here:

We have to spend a lot of money!

Someone put a list of free agents they would go after & then stated, "but most will probably be resigned or franchised".

Ok

What's next?

You stagger these guys contracts Suh, Mo, then Sheldon.

I don't think anyone realizes we DONT HAVE A 20 MILLION DOLLAR QB!

Who else are you giving a big contract to? Flowers?

Most pro bowl players are franchised, when 2 players in their prime like Suh & Iupati come on the market & you have 50 mill in cap room, you have your cap guy GO TO WORK!

If you don't, you overpay for over the hill guys or losers like Mike Wallace & Santonio Holmes.

Look at the crap the Raiders overpaid for, MJD, the washed up Steelers LB, soon to be washed up Tuck.

Creativity & putting the absolute best players at every position & maybe dangling a player like Snacks out there to see if there are any bites. Even signing Suh & Iupati will leave plenty of money to get some bargains.

DO NOT OVERPAY FOR AVERAGE TALENT!

That's a death knell in this league & we are the champions in that arena, along with Oakland & Washington.

I'll take head cases that ball out. Dez Bryant is a perfect example.

Guys like Deshaun Jackson persnipity types that play when they want & are selfish, pass.

Very convoluted way of doing things though. You've got to have the trade lined up for a first round pick which is probably harder than it sounds, be confident he won't change after a big contract, and believe it won't adversely impact the locker room. Again, he's got to be an ass - he does dumb stuff all the time on the field.

Both Wilkerson and Richardson are outstanding, so it's not like you're getting a massive upgrade on the DL. It's a lot of effort to spend with a bunch of things that could make it a bad decision or fall apart. Are you really that much worse off if you hang onto your good young defensive linemen and spend that FA money you would've dropped on Suh on an actual need?

I'm not advocating trading Mo in 2015.

I'm advocating spending our money on the best players available & hopefully drafting well & hoping that a few of our injured players come back & perform.

We could franchise him & trade him 2016. Have an open mind realizing that the CBs that will be available most likely will be veterans or average players.

What kind of message would it send to hand Suh giant money but refusing to extend the contracts of Wilkerson or perhaps even Richardson down the road?  Because that would be the end result.  You can't tie up QB-esque dollars on 3 linemen.  One of them eventually would have to go and it wouldn't be Suh.  

With so many needs on our roster building a super-unit isn't ideal.  That's the kind of a move a team with just 1 or 2 needs makes, who feels confident they can corral the personality and behavior of a troublesome player.

vincenzo69, on 31 Dec 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

We already have a great D-line. We need to use our cap room to fix the secondary. We need to sign 2 big time DBs.

Disagree that we have a "great" d line, they are mediocre to good. They take games off and disappear. Problem with signing Suh is if we do not sack the QB on every play, the secondary is so bad that it will not matter. Putting that much money into a D Line without complimenting that line with an at least mediocre secondary is not wise IMO.

Suh literally JUST got suspended.. for like the 6th time. We don't need all that here while we are trying to build a good disciplined team. Wilk is good enough and has never been suspended. We have other concerns like finding Corners, Linebackers, Wide outs and a competent starter under center.

I've seen a lot of posts regarding free agents ect. and it absolutely amazes me that we have fans that would be against signing Suh.

When you don't have a highly paid QB which most teams do,the way you improve your team is to get the best young players possible on your team.

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio yesterday & every single host that "played" in the NFL were like, "I'd have no problem with him playing on my team!"

The NFL is not about having a team of Saints, the great Bill Belichick has signed guys with questionable morals for years, why? Because winning is #1. BB signed Blunt after he'd refused to go back into a game & was cut.

Suh comes to PLAY! Every down, doesn't get hurt, and leads the charge for the #1 rush defense in the entire NFL! That's with Fairley hurt all year.

Everyone keeps saying our Dline is set? Why? Our pass rush was wildly inconsistent this year.

If we bring in someone like Todd Bowles & and give him a starting Dline of Mo-Suh-Coples-Richardson you now have the makings of the best Dline in football.

The only teams that beat Tom Brady, beat him with inside pressure.

I love snacks but he's a 3/4 run stopper (Suh is a 3 down run stuffing pass rushing beast) and he's 26 years old. Where do Jet fans want to spend the money? We missed out on the CBs last year.

You can't overpay mediocrity, that's a Jets specialty.

You pay for young Pro bowl players. Target Suh & Iupati & you've improved you lines tremendously.

Snacks would definitely be a player to dangle for a draft pick (young, cheap, very good nose tackle, run stopper). Many teams could use him. Bears, Vikings, Packers (Rajis a free agent), Falcons, Saints, Cowboys.

If you don't have a franchise QB & you aren't paying squat at the QB position you need to put together a team that punches people in the mouth in the trenches while your trying to find one.

Jets have 50 million to spend, spend it by getting the best young free agents in their prime that are available. Hopefully this new regime will realize that you build from the inside out.

You can't do sh*t if your QB is on his back & the opposing QB can't do sh*t when he's running for his life.

If you look at the free agents available this year, there are way too many that aren't "The Best" at their trade, Suh & Iupati are both All Pros & top 5 at their positions.

Coup if Jets could get both.

The guy was almost suspended for a playoff game for an obvious, inexcusable move. No one is saying "I don't want Suh". But some people have huge reservations. You can't afford to pay Wilkerson, Suh and Richardson (when his contract comes up). So basically if we bring in Suh, Mo has to go. That's another reason people are weary.

I think we should trade Mo for a 1st rounder (most likely to the Falcons and Rex) and sign Suh. I'd switch to a 4-3 with Coples, Harrison, Suh and Richardson on the line.

BUT, he is a gamble, especially at the huge cap number he will cost. It's not exactly a no brainer, which is how you are representing it.

Archived