Marcus Marriota

Tinstar

you have to build your offense around him, hire the right coaches.  it's more than just picking him.  it's like a luck/hamilton proposition

I was happy to see him slide in the rose bowl, but he had a few horrible over-throws.  it might have been nerves, but I lost a lot of my marriota wood watching that game

If you draft Marriota looking to start him from day 1 then yea, it might be a bad trade up.  If the Kid wins the Job fine, but chances are he won't.  If all it would cost me is this years 1st and next years 1st, I do it.

The kid has all the tools, he just needs some refining.

What would you be willing to give up for the Chance to draft this QB ?

Nothing.  He has to play in a certain system to be successful most of his yards come on screens and tag passes.  He'll be good if he goes to Tampa and they hire an OC who runs Chip Kelly's offense.  If he goes to Tennesee and he has to run a conventional NFL offense he will bust.

• 3 weeks later...

The Jets are on the clock and Marcus Marriota is still on the board. The Phone rings in the Jets War Room and the Eagles are  looking to move up. The offer is as follows<

The Eagles Get pick 6 and Take Marriota.

The Jets get :

Pick 20 in 2015

Jeremy Maclin

LeSean McCoy

2016  2nd round pick

What is your reply ?

The Jets are on the clock and Marcus Marriota is still on the board. The Phone rings in the Jets War Room and the Eagles are  looking to move up. The offer is as follows<

The Jets get :

Pick 20 in 2015

Jeremy Maclin

LeSean McCoy

2016  2nd round pick

What is your reply ?

I thought we were trading up for Mariota cuz he's soooooo much better than Winston?

According to whom  ?  Winston is a superb talent who I wouldn't draft with a 7th round pick.  His off the field issues are a serious problem that can't be ignored .

I guess this is what happens when people actually watch Mariota play in the college playoffs as opposed to just watching sportscenter highlights. 

The Jets get :

Pick 20 in 2015

Jeremy Maclin

LeSean McCoy

2016  2nd round pick

What is your reply ?

Hell no. First, Maclin is a FA so they can't trade him, second, McCoy is making 10 million dollars next year, no way I am paying a RB that much money. That's horrible value to move down 14 spots in the first round.

Hell no. First, Maclin is a FA so they can't trade him, second, McCoy is making 10 million dollars next year, no way I am paying a RB that much money. That's horrible value to move down 14 spots in the first round.

I agree.  The only RB I would pay $10 mil for is Lynch and he will be available in FA.

I'd trade Mariota for Philly's 1st, this year's 2nd and a couple middle round picks from this year.  They are desperate.  Foles is not the answer and the Philly fans have an enormous hard-on for Mariota.

If it's supposedly unacceptable to draft Sherf at 6 then draft him at 20 and watch him be one of the top 3 players to come out of this draft class.

Marriota to me can be a successful NFL QB, and I am talking about a Russel Wilson type guy. not a guy who is going to throw for 300 yds a game. But a smart guy who wont make stupid mistakes and like Wison, Kapernick, Newton, force a defense to keep the MLB closer to the LOS as a spy. The adjustment to the pro game wont be as quick as Wilson but he has a lot of good qualities that translate into being a good NFL QB. 

Now he's "probably" not going to throw at the Combine due to a mysterious injury. More like he wants to avoid being exposed when compared to other prospects, all of whom will have stronger arms. He'll do that same bullsh*t on-campus workout with his Oregon receivers a week out from the draft when teams are less likely to flip their board. Alex Smith style.

Now he's "probably" not going to throw at the Combine due to a mysterious injury. More like he wants to avoid being exposed when compared to other prospects, all of whom will have stronger arms. He'll do that same bullsh*t on-campus workout with his Oregon receivers a week out from the draft when teams are less likely to flip their board. Alex Smith style.

Agreed...I don't pretend to be a talent evaluator, but from what little I've seen of this kid, he makes a living throwing screen passes and then a bomb to a wide open WR.  That's not gonna' work in the NFL unless it's up-tempo under Chip Kelly, and even then I'm not sure. 

Agreed...I don't pretend to be a talent evaluator, but from what little I've seen of this kid, he makes a living throwing screen passes and then a bomb to a wide open WR.  That's not gonna' work in the NFL unless it's up-tempo under Chip Kelly, and even then I'm not sure. 

Funny, but isn't that exactly how Russell Wilson made it to the Super Bowl. Running the Ball, throwing rinky dink passes and the occasional Bomb. When will fans realize that you win the big game by running the ball successfully and playing solid defense behind it.

Yeah, I just don't see how he functions in the NFL.

Funny, but isn't that exactly how Russell Wilson made it to the Super Bowl. Running the Ball, throwing rinky dink passes and the occasional Bomb. When will fans realize that you win the big game by running the ball successfully and playing solid defense behind it.

Like drafting Wally Sczerbiak and saying, "this is how the Celtics did it with Larry Bird."

This goes totally in cycles, today it is this way.  A year or two down the road after some passing team wins it it will change.  You win by having a good football team and having your best game when it counts.

If the guy throws a good deep ball and if a guy has enough smarts and touch to complete 65% of his passes of the dink dunk short variety I'd be more than happy to have that kind of QB.

I didn't see him throw any bombs that had the WR's with no defenders within fifteen yards, but I guess it could've been happening. 

I am not interested in Marriota.  The QB I happen to like from this draft is Sean Mannion. I don't trust any College QB who doesn't know  how to read a defense .  I Just happen to think that if you design an offense around what a player does best, and put people around him to enhance what he does best, you have a better chance at success.

Russell Wilson is not a great QB, he is just put in situations that allows him to best succeed.  What happened during the 1st 3 quarters of the Championship game against the Packers is what you can expect when you ask this player to do what Andrew Luck does.

Get ready for the next few months of Mariota to the Jets rumors. Leonard Williams is a Beast and is going number 2.

Most people will be mocking Mariota to us the whole offseason leading up to draft day. And even if he is very similar to Alex Smith(10 year NFL starter) who is worthy of us passing on him for? Sean Ray? Surely not Cooper or White. Shelton?

We are going to be running a spread offense with Chan Gailey. Kinda fits what Mariota does. 

Yeah I think its gonna get ugly for us if we draft him at 6.  He's never really had to make reads and when he did in the playoffs he struggled.  If he's available at 6 I say draft him and see what package Philly offers us  - they will be offering us something significant for him. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter says there's a "real sense" Tampa Bay has its sights set on Oregon QB Marcus Mariota at No. 1 overall.

Schefter concedes that "many NFL executives and scouts believe Florida State's Jameis Winston is the best pro quarterback prospect in this draft." But perhaps the Bucs and new OC Dirk Koetter see things differently, placing more stock in Mariota's mobility and clean off-field resume. More likely, there's just a lot of speculation out there right now with the draft still three months away. We're skeptical the Bucs have come close to making up their mind yet

As most things in contemporary human times, we're so eager to be extreme..... Mariota -- december 2014 - 1st pick overall....January 2015 - bust.  ...The truth is (IMO) exactly how i've been calling since the start the season. He's 2nd round talent. Depending on your OC, maybe mid/late first. Because of the awful market, he'll probably go higher. 

BUT, Mariota going in the top 10 is the worst thing that could happen to him and or the Jets. He's not ready to start, and starting him week 1 anywhere but PHI is going to retard his growth/development. There is ZERO chance the jets draft this guy and he's not under center week 1... and that is something I am so vehemently against that it makes want to punch a baby. As if Mark and Geno weren't lessons. 

And not even a dynamic runner at that.

This is what's annoying about the draft media horde. Far too many of them chatter for months about how amazing a prospect is and how this prospect will change the game, etc, then draft season rolls around and either Mayock or Kiper will quote a league source killing this prospect, then these same draft media guys all react to to that by developing amnesia regarding all the fellating they did of the prospect they're now swiping at.

I'm not putting Waldman in that boat, btw, though he was a lot higher on Mariota a month ago than he is now. The difference is that Waldman works harder to support his analysis than all of the other shwanks combined.

Archived