MetLife named highest grossing stadium in the world.

joewilly12

EAST RUTHERFORD — Even when Giants and Jets fans aren't packing the seats for football, MetLife Stadium is still raking in the big bucks. 

New Jersey's largest seated event center was today named the highest-grossing stadium in the world, according to an annual list released by Billboard. The ranking takes into account non-NFL events, which for MetLife meant music concerts, international soccer matches and college and high school football between November 2013 and 2014.

Super Bowl XLVIII, hosted by MetLife on Feb. 2 was not factored into the totals. 

The 82,500-seat stadium grossed more than $71 million in that time period, enough to top Billboard list for the fourth time in the last five years. Rounding out the top five were the Tokyo Dome in Japan; Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, Australia; Gillete Stadium in Foxboro, Mass.; and AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. 

MetLife hosted 22 non-NFL events in the time period — more than double all other venues in the top 10 minus Foro Sol in Mexico City — including back-to-back concerts from boy band phenoms One Direction, Billboard's top-grossing tour in 2014. 

Jay-Z and Beyonce's On The Run tour and Eminem and Rihanna's Monster tour also filled the Meadowlands this past summer.  

Top sporting events included a Portugal vs. Ireland soccer match featuring world soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo just before the World Cup. 

More mega-concerts are on the way for MetLife in 2015, including tour stops from pop giant Taylor Swift and country favorites Kenny Chesney, Jason Aldean and Brantley Gilbert. More shows are likely to be announced in the coming months. 

Bobby Olivier may be reached at bolivier@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @BobbyOlivier. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not with one team, it won't.  Maybe the Rams AND the Raiduhs could both move there.

I think there's a strong possibility they will, or Chargers, though think that's less likely than Raiders. It is not coincidence that Davis spoke about the Raiders having no problem being the second team in LA. I doubted that Kroenke would share, but he seems to be open to sharing so long as he is the landlord and the other team isn't.

not with one team, it won't.  Maybe the Rams AND the Raiduhs could both move there.

Rams + Raiders is only about 1.5 NFL teams :)

Happy New Year, by the way! How'd you like the new seats this year (if I'm remembering correctly, you moved to some even better ones)? Hope all is well and that the New Year brings us some new management and weapons.

it should've been named the grossest, highest stadium in the world.....those upper deck seats are basically in heaven

True...

That's why those of us who escaped from nearly 40 years of having to sit in upper decks in Flushing and the dump with big Giants signs on the outside are thankful for the PSLS that allowed us to obtain great seats.

The congrats go to Woody, not the chumps who gave him their money.

We're all in this together. If the stadium was a disaster, you'd blame the loyal PSL owning Jets fans so now that the stadium is a rockin' success, you can give credit to the loyal PSL owning Jets fans.

And by the way, a typical PSL is $7 a game more and the Jets haven't raised ticket prices since Giants Stadium 2008. This anti-PSL stuff can stop now. You don't need to tell us how to spend our fun money.

SAR I

We're all in this together. If the stadium was a disaster, you'd blame the loyal PSL owning Jets fans so now that the stadium is a rockin' success, you can give credit to the loyal PSL owning Jets fans.And by the way, a typical PSL is $7 a game more and the Jets haven't raised ticket prices since Giants Stadium 2008. This anti-PSL stuff can stop now. You don't need to tell us how to spend our fun money.SAR I

I get your schtick. But the shared stadium sucks and the Jets have a horrible product. not sure what "credit" PSL suckers want.

You helped pay for a building someone else makes millions off and if you don't sell your tix and actually attend games you watch a horrible team.

Yeah for you.

Congratulations to Woody Johnson and PSL owners on this tremendous achievement.

"It will fail!" "No one will buy PSLs!"

Yeah, how'd that work out for you.

SAR I

I do not have a problem with the PSL. My problem is it is not a true PSL. If it were you would have first shot at a Ticket to any event in the stadium for your seat. They can't offer that to you becauce a Giants fan also owns a PSL to the same seat. I am guessing you don't care about any other events in the stadium just Jet games.

Other cities have a PSL. Philidelphia did not have any PSL cost more than $5000.00 when they opened the LInk and you have first choice on your seats for anything held in the stadium.

We're all in this together. If the stadium was a disaster, you'd blame the loyal PSL owning Jets fans so now that the stadium is a rockin' success, you can give credit to the loyal PSL owning Jets fans.

And by the way, a typical PSL is $7 a game more and the Jets haven't raised ticket prices since Giants Stadium 2008. This anti-PSL stuff can stop now. You don't need to tell us how to spend our fun money.

SAR I

Care to elaborate on this $7 a game more? 

Also, it is not about money. I am from Italy. If one of our soccer teams decided to sell PSL's, that soccer team would be demolished by the fans. Where the hell do you see this PSL bullsh*t in any other part of the world? You got suckered into financing a stadium to fill the pockets of millionaires. Kudos to you. Well done. You are making Richie Rich(Woodrow) proud.

it should've been named the grossest, highest stadium in the world.....those upper deck seats are basically in heaven

MetLife must be the worst place in the world to see a concert.  I'm pretty sure you can't even see the stage from the upper deck. 

This thread is like a time warp back to 2010.  The same stupid arguments by the same exact people, some with different screen names on this forum, but the same old stale arguments.  LOL.  It doesn't take much to get the haters out there to gather their pitch forks.  Very amusing once, but hackneyed to the nth degree now, 5 years later.  Colossal waste of time for all of us.

Carry on.

Care to elaborate on this $7 a game more?

Also, it is not about money. I am from Italy. If one of our soccer teams decided to sell PSL's, that soccer team would be demolished by the fans. Where the hell do you see this PSL bullsh*t in any other part of the world? You got suckered into financing a stadium to fill the pockets of millionaires. Kudos to you. Well done. You are making Richie Rich(Woodrow) proud.

First of all this is not Italy

Second of all this is not soccer which I doubt anyone in the area would pay seven dollars a game in total for, not to mention 7 dollars more

I am a Jet STH since 1974. I could only get UD seats at Shea and remained stuck in the awful UD at the dump with Giant signs on it. When the new stadium began the seating process, I had top seniority and took seats in row 8 of an UD sideline section with no PSL directly behind a handicapped area (which I presumed was good because there would be nobody sitting in front of me.

It was SAR I who first cautioned me back at JI as to the height of the UD ( pics of parachutes, oxygen bottles and 10 story buildings for those who remember). We battled, I told him he was wrong about the UD and PSLs etc.

Finally, the Jets started offering tours and I saw my seats ..turned out YES, the UD was horribly high and to make matters worse, that handicapped area was surrounded by railings above, below and on both sides, that made it almost impossible to see the field.

I upgraded that day to great lower level seats and then to the high row sideline seats I now have. I will always be thankful for the advice and help of SAR I and others and to the Jets for the PSLS that enabled me to escape from additional decades of watching little ant like creatures playing NFL football.

The marginal cost of the PSL is, as SAR I posted about equal to one good beer a game. Certainly nothing to whine, cry and bit*ch about for years on a message board, usually by TV and UD fans who don't even pay for one

This thread is like a time warp back to 2010.  The same stupid arguments by the same exact people, some with different screen names on this forum, but the same old stale arguments.  LOL.  It doesn't take much to get the haters out there to gather their pitch forks.  Very amusing once, but hackneyed to the nth degree now, 5 years later.  Colossal waste of time for all of us.

Carry on.

Who is arguing about anything? I see posts about how the upper deck stinks and I posted the stadium has 20 NFL games a year I didn't post this to start an argument or incite one. SAR I has great seats and so so do others with PSLs. 

Congratulations to Woody Johnson and PSL owners on this tremendous achievement.

"It will fail!" "No one will buy PSLs!"

Yeah, how'd that work out for you.

SAR I

Worked out well for me.  I didn't have to suffer though a ton of terrible games this year.  The times I wanted to go, tickets were practically free from the masses of people that didn't want to go.

Oh, and I don't owe anyone $10,000 for well... I'm having problems figuring out what the benefits are.  A free ticket to go to see the Lego Movie?

Thanks for helping pay for the stadium for the rest of us to see the many events held there though.  We appreciate your sacrifice (even if you've managed to convince yourself that it was worth it and wasn't a sacrifice)!

Worked out well for me.  I didn't have to suffer though a ton of terrible games this year.  The times I wanted to go, tickets were practically free from the masses of people that didn't want to go.

Oh, and I don't owe anyone $10,000 for well... I'm having problems figuring out what the benefits are.  A free ticket to go to see the Lego Movie?

Thanks for helping pay for the stadium for the rest of us to see the many events held there though.  We appreciate your sacrifice (even if you've managed to convince yourself that it was worth it and wasn't a sacrifice)!

And we're off!

Wow!  PSL crap! Oh joy! Oh rapture!

I don't get that list.  22 events and San Siro only has 6?  San Siro hosts AC Milan and Inter, so they get a sh*tload of soccer games, but I'm surprised there were only 6 other events there.  I love that somebody said nobody in the area would even pay $7 to see a soccer game when the very article quoted lists the following:  

Top sporting events included a Portugal vs. Ireland soccer match featuring world soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo just before the World Cup. 

I don't like soccer, but it draws fine when the top players are around.  I was at Citi Field back in 2011 to see Juventus in an exhibition game and there were 20+K.  

First of all this is not Italy

Second of all this is not soccer which I doubt anyone in the area would pay seven dollars a game in total for, not to mention 7 dollars more

I am a Jet STH since 1974. I could only get UD seats at Shea and remained stuck in the awful UD at the dump with Giant signs on it. When the new stadium began the seating process, I had top seniority and took seats in row 8 of an UD sideline section with no PSL directly behind a handicapped area (which I presumed was good because there would be nobody sitting in front of me.

It was SAR I who first cautioned me back at JI as to the height of the UD ( pics of parachutes, oxygen bottles and 10 story buildings for those who remember). We battled, I told him he was wrong about the UD and PSLs etc.

Finally, the Jets started offering tours and I saw my seats ..turned out YES, the UD was horribly high and to make matters worse, that handicapped area was surrounded by railings above, below and on both sides, that made it almost impossible to see the field.

I upgraded that day to great lower level seats and then to the high row sideline seats I now have. I will always be thankful for the advice and help of SAR I and others and to the Jets for the PSLS that enabled me to escape from additional decades of watching little ant like creatures playing NFL football.

The marginal cost of the PSL is, as SAR I posted about equal to one good beer a game. Certainly nothing to whine, cry and bit*ch about for years on a message board, usually by TV and UD fans who don't even pay for one

For some reason this part of your post reminded of those brine shrimp they called "Sea Monkeys" sold in the back of comics in the 70's.  Other than it's a wonderful story.  Thanks for sharing.

Archived