Jets Still in the Running For Scot McCloughan

Jack Straw

I don't know what the Jets are promising these coaches they've had coming in. Seems like the coaches want their own personnel guys, now McCloughan wants total control over the roster (usually coaches get control of the 53-man roster). 

Ugh, can't please everyone, but it gets complicated. 

He was interviewed by the Raiders, with Madden in the room. He was told he would report to McKenzie. He wants complete control apparently. I would give it to him.

Get it done.

Just read Madden was in the room for Shanahan's interview too.

He was interviewed by the Raiders, with Madden in the room. He was told he would report to McKenzie. He wants complete control apparently. I would give it to him.

Get it done.

I have a soft spot in my heart for alcoholics everywhere -like T0m- but this is a guy who was let go by San Fran because of his drinking, and then quit Seattle because of his drinking. I'm not sure I rush to give him complete control. 

He's absolutely someone I'd want to get in for an interview, though. 

I have a soft spot in my heart for alcoholics everywhere -like T0m- but this is a guy who was let go by San Fran because of his drinking, and then quit Seattle because of his drinking. I'm not sure I rush to give him complete control. 

I think he'll be fine. He just won't be available during Happy hour.

He's Irish. The drinking and stubbornness really shouldn't be that shocking to anyone.

Former alcoholic turned hired gun? I smell network cereal. Can he walk quickly and banter with a British accent at the same time?!?!!?!?!? What else is in his deep dark past? Is he divorced? Does he have a son his wife won't let him talk to!? Who will be be his female counterpart? Charlize? Cameron Diaz played a GM once, I think.

Thought I read skins need to interview minority candidate before they can hire him.

Never mind.

@AlbertBreer: Sources say Redskins interviewed former Cardinals GM Rod Graves on Monday for their GM position. So Rooney Rule has been met there.

Never mind.

@AlbertBreer: Sources say Redskins interviewed former Cardinals GM Rod Graves on Monday for their GM position. So Rooney Rule has been met there.

Interesting, lol. Maybe Graves interviewed while the Jets were in DC stealing Scot?

Source: Jets have talked to Scot McCloughan, but not about becoming general manager (Dom Cosentino)

NJ Advance Media

January 6, 2015

The internet's been hot and heavy with reports all Tuesday afternoon that Scot McCloughan, the former NFL executive widely credited with building the 49ers' and Seahawks' winning rosters, was soon to become the next general manager in Washington. But part of what's holding that up, according to Pro Football Talk, is that McCloughan is still talking to the Raiders and Jets about a possible position. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Jets have had conversations with McCloughan, but not about their vacant job at general manager. That person spoke to NJ Advance Media on condition of anonymity because he or she was not authorized to talk publicly on the matter. Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com had reported earlier Tuesday that the Jets had reached out to McCloughan about "a prominent personnel position." McCloughan is considered to be a brilliant personnel man with particular expertise in drafting players. The Seahawks, for whom he was a senior personnel executive, are the reigning Super Bowl champs and the NFC's top seed this year. The 49ers, for whom he served as GM from 2008-10, had gone to the NFC Championship Game from 2011-13. McCloughan is often credited with having built both teams.

The knock on McCloughan—and the alleged reason he hasn't worked for an NFL team in recent years—is that he has a drinking problem, the details of which were spelled out in this recent Seth Wickersham piece for ESPN The Magazine. 

Sounds like they want him to run the Scouting Dept.

I like it.

Source: Jets have talked to Scot McCloughan, but not about becoming general manager (Dom Cosentino)

NJ Advance Media

January 6, 2015

The internet's been hot and heavy with reports all Tuesday afternoon that Scot McCloughan, the former NFL executive widely credited with building the 49ers' and Seahawks' winning rosters, was soon to become the next general manager in Washington. But part of what's holding that up, according to Pro Football Talk, is that McCloughan is still talking to the Raiders and Jets about a possible position. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Jets have had conversations with McCloughan, but not about their vacant job at general manager. That person spoke to NJ Advance Media on condition of anonymity because he or she was not authorized to talk publicly on the matter. Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com had reported earlier Tuesday that the Jets had reached out to McCloughan about "a prominent personnel position." McCloughan is considered to be a brilliant personnel man with particular expertise in drafting players. The Seahawks, for whom he was a senior personnel executive, are the reigning Super Bowl champs and the NFC's top seed this year. The 49ers, for whom he served as GM from 2008-10, had gone to the NFC Championship Game from 2011-13. McCloughan is often credited with having built both teams.

The knock on McCloughan—and the alleged reason he hasn't worked for an NFL team in recent years—is that he has a drinking problem, the details of which were spelled out in this recent Seth Wickersham piece for ESPN The Magazine. 

I like it.

I do too.  Make it happen Tanny...  er.. Idz... Woody.

NJ Advance Media

January 6, 2015

I like it.

I don't know where this guy is in his recovery - or if he's interested in recovery at all. Tough to hand a guy like that total control. However, he's still talented, and in a very well paid position to identify talent - I'm 100% down.

I don't know where this guy is in his recovery - or if he's interested in recovery at all. Tough to hand a guy like that total control. However, he's still talented, and in a very well paid position to identify talent - I'm 100% down.

If true alcoholic, he needs help, and i dont want him unless he has manned up and sought help and is in a program. we cant afford a guy going off deep end on us, these hires have to right for ONCE

Local DC media has been reporing all morning that it's done deal here, up to and including an interview the local Radio station had with him confirming it's all but done deal (waiting on paperwork) and already discussing who he's keeping (the Coach) and who he's maybe not keeping (the QB), and detailing why he preferred Washington (total control GM).

Take it as you like, but here in DC, there is no talk about elsewhere or holdups, it's done, just waiting on paperwork.

Local DC media has been reporing all morning that it's done deal here, up to and including an interview the local Radio station had with him confirming it's all but done deal (waiting on paperwork) and already discussing who he's keeping (the Coach) and who he's maybe not keeping (the QB), and detailing why he preferred Washington (total control GM).

Take it as you like, but here in DC, there is no talk about elsewhere or holdups, it's done, just waiting on paperwork.

ya a few beat writers on twitter have said same thing this AM about DC done deal.

Hiring him would have been risky, but man I wouldn't have minded making the Super Bowl a couple years after he left with the roster he put together. Unless they open up the GM search a bit, looks like it's going to be a very meh choice.

Archived