Yankees expected to sign infielder Stephen Drew

Morrissey

Insurance for Didi, Refsnyder, and Pirela. Though I guess Drew is the favorite to be the Opening Day 2B.

Me thinks Yankees want Refsnyder to begin year in AAA to get more time at 2B a position he's new too. Pirela a ulitly man who can play 2B vs LHP and some RF. Brendan Ryan really has no spot on this team, suspect he gets DFA to make room for Drew.

Insurance for Didi, Refsnyder, and Pirela. Though I guess Drew is the favorite to be the Opening Day 2B. Brendan Ryan really has no spot on this team.

Me thinks Yankees want Refsnyder to begin year in AAA to get more time at 2B a position he's new too. Pirela a ulitly man who can play 2B vs LHP and some RF. Brendan Ryan really has no spot on this team, suspect he gets DFA to make room for Drew.

Smart move by the Yanks. They now have a solid defensive player at every position on the diamond besides RF. Not only that but Drew serves as insurance in case Didi falls on his face. You move Drew to short and call up Refs. 100% agree on Ryan. He's a goner. Pirela will be the utility guy. 

So who's your shortstop? Either Wilmer Flores or hope and prayer trade for Tulo?

Mets need a player like Tulo since their entire team is a bunch of hopes and prayers.  But it will take a kings ransom for a guy who cant stay healthy.

Pretty much all this team has is pitching and Im glad they arent wasting resources on sh!tty hitting shortstops.

Mets need a player like Tulo since their entire team is a bunch of hopes and prayers.  But it will take a kings ransom for a guy who cant stay healthy.

Pretty much all this team has is pitching and Im glad they arent wasting resources on sh!tty hitting shortstops.

I can understand you not wanting the mets wasting their "resources" But to the Yankees 5 million is peanuts. 

It's $5 million dollars on a 1 year deal. That's not a lot of resources, even for the Mets. If he returns to form with a .255/.335/.440 (give or take) slash line with plus defense at SS, that's more that solid. It's January and you still don't have a capable shortstop on your roster.

It's $5 million dollars on a 1 year deal. That's not a lot of resources, even for the Mets. If he returns to form with a .255/.335/.440 (give or take) slash line with plus defense at SS, that's more that solid. It's January and you still don't have a capable shortstop on your roster.

He wont return to form. He stinks. He's stunk for the past 2 years.  5 million is a lot to the mets when they are a bunch of broke ass penny pinchers.

Whether the mets have a capable shortstop or not, Stephen Drew was not and will never be the answer for what the mets need to get them over the hump and have a winning record and a shot at the playoffs.

If it works out for the yankees... good for them.  If not, no biggie.  

Actually, neither do the Pin$triper$ with platoon 230 hitting Dodo and Drew. But, no worry, they can always move 47 year old ARoids back to SS or the Ca$h Man can always add to the unlimited 700 million payroll

So. let's move on to starting pitching...

He wont return to form. He stinks. He's stunk for the past 2 years.  5 million is a lot to the mets when they are a bunch of broke ass penny pinchers.

Whether the mets have a capable shortstop or not, Stephen Drew was not and will never be the answer for what the mets need to get them over the hump and have a winning record and a shot at the playoffs.

If it works out for the yankees... good for them.  If not, no biggie.

Okay, Nostradamus. He was pretty good in 2013.

He cant play the position. You know that, I know that. I would be shocked if both Wilmer and Murphy are the Mets starting middle infielders.

His range is not what a normal SS should be, but he will hit better than the average SS.

My comment was solely on that Drew is not a real upgrade for the Mets than Flores, and certainly the salary isn't worth it.

His range is not what a normal SS should be, but he will hit better than the average SS.

My comment was solely on that Drew is not a real upgrade for the Mets than Flores, and certainly the salary isn't worth it.

His range isn't his only problem. He's slow, has bad hands, poor footwork, and inaccurate throwing. Think of a flaw an infielder can have, you name it.. he has it.

His range isn't his only problem. He's slow, has bad hands, poor footwork, and inaccurate throwing. Think of a flaw an infielder can have, you name it.. he has it.

Fortunately, the majority of Met pitchers are Fly ball type pitchers. 

My true want would be to acquire a shortstop (NOT Stephen Drew), trade Murohy and put Flores at 2nd. His bat can make up for his defense, if everything goes right.

He cant play the position. You know that, I know that. I would be shocked if both Wilmer and Murphy are the Mets starting middle infielders.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/when-scouting-shortstops-gets-too-subjective/

Some Flores discussion in the comments...apparently he did alright at SS for the Mets. I have no opinion, but it sounds like generally there's an optimism there now that he's hit the majors.

As Flores was born on arguably the most important day of the year (8/6), I root for him.

Archived