Fat POS Curt Shilling Claims his Politics kept him out of Hall of Fame

Bruce Harper

Curt Schilling, ex-Red Sox: Hall of Fame dissed me for my conservative views
ap060522034051_c50-0-2000-1137_s561x327.
Boston Red Sox starter Curt Schilling delivers a throw during the eighth inning against the New York Yankees at Fenway Park in Boston, Monday, May 22, 2006. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa) ** FILE ** more >

By Cheryl K. Chumley - The Washington Times - Thursday, January 8, 2015

Curt Schilling, the former Red Sox pitcher who endorsed George Bush over John Kerry for president in 2004, said during an interview on Boston radio that it was just these conservative views that costicon1.png him lost votes with Hall of Fame deciders.

He made the remarks on the Dennis and Callahan show, while discussing the differences in the numbers of votes he and Altanta pitcher John Smoltz received. Mr. Smoltz earned 82.9 percent of the first-round vote; Mr. Schilling, meanwhile, only received 39.2 percent on the third ballot, Yahoo Sports reported.

But by a common method of tabulating sports statistics — the JAWS Hall of Fame evaluation programicon1.pngMr. Schilling should have received 64.5 and Mr. Smolz, 54.2, the news outlet said.

Mr. Schilling said it’s his conservative principles that drove down his score.

“The fact that [the Braves] won 14 straight pennants” drove the votes for Mr. Smoltz, Mr. Schilling said, Yahoo Sports reported. “I think his Swiss Army knifeicon1.png versatility. … I think he got a lot of recognition for that. He’s a Hall of Famer. The other big thing is I think he’s a Democrat. I know that as a Republican that there’s some people that really don’t like that.”

The radio hosts then asked him to clarify and confirm whether he truly believed that he would have received more votes if he weren’t an “outspoken Republican,” Yahoo Sports reportedicon1.png. And his response? 

“Absolutely,” Mr. Schilling said. “When human beings do something, anything, there’s bias and prejudice. … I don’t think that it kept me out or anything like that but I do know there are guys who probably will never vote for me because of the things I said or did. That’s the way it works.”

At the same time, USA Today reported that Mr. Smoltz has donated a total of $9,800 to Republican campaigns.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/8/curt-schilling-ex-red-sox-hall-of-fame-dissed-me-f/#ixzz3OGKyNrBZ
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

This guy may be borderline but he simply doesn't measure up to Pedro or Smoltz.  Smoltz had the same number of wins +150 saves. Shilling let himself get fat and finished up earlier than he had to. 

Mike Mussina and Andy Pettitte both won a lot more games and they aren't in. 

This guy really is a buffoon.  Could the fact that he is a douchebag have effected his chances if his numbers were better?  Yes.  But his numbers aren't good enough to make it a legitimate debate. 

Schilling is a horrible human being who is wrong about everything and has one of most suspicious career trajectories of all time. 

I guarantee he is paying someone to hide that he was on the list of players that tested positive in '04.

Which would make his comments even more offensive, as Clemens' numbers blow his away and he didn't get in either.

Seems like a good place to repost this, Schilling isn't a special player, Joe DiMaggio was, Mel Ott, Whitey Ford was, Yogi Berra was, Jimmie Fox was. Yet none of these guys got in on their first ballot. So Relax Curt, the writers are dumb and always have been. 

Going back to 1950, there have been 45 first-ballot guys, and fifty that had to wait. Just look at some of these name that didn't go in on the first ballot. Baseball writers have always been jackasses.

The 45 first-ballot players: Al Kaline, Bob Feller, Bob Gibson, Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken, Carl Yastrzemski, Dave Winfield, Dennis Eckersley, Eddie Murray, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson, Frank Thomas, George Brett, Greg Maddux, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, Jim Palmer, Joe Morgan, John Smoltz, Johnny Bench, Kirby Puckett, Lou Brock, Mickey Mantle, Mike Schmidt, Nolan Ryan, Ozzie Smith, Paul Molitor, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Reggie Jackson, Rickey Henderson, Robin Yount, Rod Carew, Sandy Koufax, Stan Musial, Steve Carlton, Ted Williams, Tom Glavine, Tom Seaver, Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Warren Spahn*, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Willie Stargell

5 second-ballot: Carlton Fisk, Roberto Alomar, Rollie Fingers, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra

8 third-ballot: Barry Larkin, Catfish Hunter, Craig Biggio, Fergie Jenkins, Gaylord Perry, Juan Marichal, Mel Ott, Ryne Sandberg

4 fourth-ballot: Early Wynn, Harmon Killebrew, Joe DiMaggio**, Robin Roberts

4 fifth-ballot: Don Sutton, Eddie Mathews, Phil Niekro, Roy Campanella

4 sixth-ballot: Billy Williams, Gary Carter, Luis Aparicio, Paul Waner

1 seventh-ballot: Jimmie Foxx

1 eighth-ballot: Hoyt Wilhelm

8 ninth-ballot: Al Simmons, Andre Dawson, Bill Dickey, Dizzy Dean, Hank Greenberg, Joe Medwick, Rich Gossage, Tony Perez

4 tenth-ballot: Don Drysdale, Joe Cronin, Lou Boudreau, Ted Lyons

1 eleventh-ballot: Duke Snider

3 twelfth-ballot: Bob Lemon, Gabby Hartnett, Harry Heilmann

2 thirteenth-ballot: Bruce Sutter, Ralph Kiner

3 fourteenth-ballot: Bert Blyleven, Bill Terry, Rabbit Maranville

1 fifteenth-ballot: Jim Rice

1 sixteenth-ballot: Dazzy Vance

Archived