Typical Patriot Cheats reared their head yesterday

Rexorcism

Saw them doing this yesterday and the stupid refs allowing the Pat players to get away with it.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/11/illegal-deceptive-belichick-plays-enrage-john-harbaugh/

‘Illegal,’ ‘deceptive’ Belichick plays enrage John Harbaugh

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Is Bill Beli-cheat back in business?

If you listened to Ravens coach John Harbaugh after Saturday’s 35-31 Patriots win Saturday, it sure sounded like he thought so.

Harbaugh was upset with a tactic Belichick used in the third quarter that he called both “illegal” and deceptive. It appears Harbaugh has a point about it being deceptive, but not really illegal.

The controversy is over a formation the Patriots used on three plays that had just four offensive linemen and a back split out declaring himself ineligible.

“It’s not something that anybody has ever done before,” Harbaugh said. “They’re an illegal type of a thing and I’m sure that [the NFL will] make some adjustments and things like that.”

The formation confused the Ravens, who did not have time to figure out which receiver to leave uncovered because the referee would announce the ineligible player, and quarterback Tom Brady would snap the ball seconds later.

“We wanted an opportunity to be able to ID who the eligible players were,” Harbaugh said, “because what they were doing was they would announce the eligible player and then time was taken and they would go over and snap the ball before we even had the chance to figure out who was lined up where, and that was the deception part of it. And that was where it was clearly deception.”

On the third time the Patriots used the formation, Shane Vereen was the ineligible receiver lined up in the slot to Brady’s right. Tight end Michael Hoomanawanui was lined up where the left tackle normally would be, so he was a bit hidden to Ravens defenders. Brady hit Hoomanawanui for a 14-yard gain and Harbaugh lost it. He walked onto the field to yell at the referee. Harbaugh was hit with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, but he got the officials’ attention.

“They didn’t really understand what was happening,” Harbaugh said of the officials. “That’s why I had to go and take the penalty to get their attention, so that they would understand what was going on because they didn’t understand what was going on. And they said that that was the right thing, that they’d give us the chance to ID the eligible receivers so we could actually get them covered. That’s why guys were open, because we didn’t ID where the eligible receivers were at. So that’s the nature of that particular thing they were doing, that’s what made it so difficult.”

Harbaugh would not answer when asked if he considered the formation “cheap or dirty.” Brady clearly felt the alignment was above board.

“Maybe those guys [should] go to study the rule book and figure it out,” Brady said. “We obviously knew what we were doing and we made some pretty important plays. It was a real good weapon for us. Maybe we’ll have something in store next week.”

Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels broke out the formation in the third quarter when they were down 28-14 and were struggling to protect Brady. The Patriots wound up scoring on the drive to cut the score to 28-21.

“It’s a play that we thought would work,” Belichick said. “We ran it three times, a couple different looks. We had six eligible receivers on the field, but only five were eligible. The one who was ineligible reported that he was ineligible. No different than on the punt team or a situation like that.”

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The referees allowed the players to whisper that they weren't eligible in their ears and then let them immediately snap the ball.

It is supposed to be announced who is eligible on plays like that. They found their loophole.

The Typical Scummy Patriot Way.

yeah it figures. they couldn't win it straight up so they had to resort to some bs that the officials were too stupid to figure out. even sadder that the stupid officials gave harbaugh a 15 yard penalty because he had to go inform them that it was shady. that pats have yet to win anything without cheating. biggest fraud of a dynasty ever. brady is good, no doubt. win it straight up. ******* sissies can't win it straight up.  

its pretty sad that this is what a professional team has to resort to when they can't win it the right way. instead of a good play design it was this instead:

ok so this is what we are going to do, the ineligible guy is going to tell the official at the last possible moment, then tom you run up to the line and snap the ball before the ravens can tell where the player who was announced as ineligible is lined up. this way they won't be able to get a real chance to know who to leave uncovered. ok boys if you can't beat em cheat em!!.

I wish we had coaches and a QB smart enough to pull that off.

I used to admire all the "outsmarting" that Belichick and Brady pull off, but not anymore. They're legacy after all of their success will be dirty, scummy cheaters. They will never be able to defend it. I wouldn't want that asterisk put on my team.

you must be the kind of guy who feels good about winning monopoly against his 10 yr old nephew

The difference is these are two playoff caliber football teams, both of whom have rules and inventiveness at their disposal. I hate these smug pricks, but they didn't do anything wrong here, it's just innovation.

The real issue in this game was not blowing the whistle when the Ravens recovered the 2nd fumble, until there was a scrum and the Oats got the ball back. Otherwise most of the officiating was balanced, more so than usual in a Pats home game. Trickery made the difference in coaching , because the Ravens brought it.

I used to admire all the "outsmarting" that Belichick and Brady pull off, but not anymore. They're legacy after all of their success will be dirty, scummy cheaters. They will never be able to defend it. I wouldn't want that asterisk put on my team.

It isn't cheating to be a step ahead of the other coach, and ten steps ahead of the officials... It is diligent and advantageous.

It sucks. It's not cheating though.

The difference is these are two playoff caliber football teams, both of whom have rules and inventiveness at their disposal. I hate these smug pricks, but they didn't do anything wrong here, it's just innovation.

The real issue in this game was not blowing the whistle when the Ravens recovered the 2nd fumble, until there was a scrum and the Oats got the ball back. Otherwise most of the officiating was balanced, more so than usual in a Pats home game. Trickery made the difference in coaching , because the Ravens brought it.

I dpnt consider this inventiveness. I am willing to bet it will be deemed not in the spirit of the rules this offseason and will no longer be allowed. I'm not impressed with finding loopholes when you cant win it straight up.

This isn't spygate. If the refs would of done their jobs it wouldn't of happened. They easily could of said who was ineligible.

It isn't cheating to be a step ahead of the other coach, and ten steps ahead of the officials... It is diligent and advantageous.

This isn't spygate. If the refs would of done their jobs it wouldn't of happened. They easily could of said who was ineligible.

Agreed. this isnt cheating, its just being smart.

It is finding an advantage against "the spirit of the rules," most consider that cheating and I do as well.

you can have your opinion. I think its basically cheating. pats couldn't win this one straight up. this will end up being considered a form of substitution and the defense will be given an appropriate time before the offense will be allowed to snap the ball. this was basically the equivalent of going " I'm eligible" and then the offense snaps the ball. it will be made illegal

If you are resorting to finding ways to illegally substitute and illegally hiding your eligible receivers from the defense you are absolutely cheating.

Its not illegal though. Harbaugh said that. I'm sure theyre going to change the rule in the off season, but as of right now its not illegal and its a tactical advantage.

Its not illegal though. Harbaugh said that. I'm sure theyre going to change the rule in the off season, but as of right now its not illegal and its a tactical advantage.

Harbaugh didn't say either way, he didn't want to sound like a coach crying cheaters after a loss...it is definitely another case where the Pats are finding ways around the spirit of the rules.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/did-belichick-bend-the-rules-on-patriots-trick-plays/article_8bde2274-9310-5acd-a663-f168c02cb372.html

Did Belichick bend the rules on Patriots' trick plays?

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — By the time John Harbaugh figured out what Bill Belichick had up his hoodie sleeves, New England was one play away from cutting a 14-point deficit in half.

And by the time the Ravens realized what the Patriots were up to on their next possession, it was too late to stop a double-pass for a 51-yard touchdown that erased Baltimore's lead entirely.

The Ravens were confused by some of Belichick's new tricks in their second-round playoff game on Saturday, and the Patriots rallied from a pair of two-touchdown deficits to win 35-31 and advance to the AFC championship game.

"They pulled out every trick play in the book," Ravens defensive end Chris Canty said. "They threw a lot of different formations at us — guys eligible, guys ineligible. They did a lot of things to keep us on our heels."

Some of New England's tricks weren't even in the book, including a three-play series in which Belichick sent out only four offensive linemen. One of the ball-handlers was announced as an ineligible receiver as the Patriots broke the huddle for the snap, leaving Baltimore no time to substitute.

Asked if he had ever seen it before, Harbaugh said, "Nobody's ever seen that before."

"It's not something anybody's ever done before," he said. "The league will look at that type of thing and I'm sure that they'll make some adjustments."

Eventually, Harbaugh ran onto the field — drawing an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty — to argue that the referees should give him a chance to send in subs once the ineligible receiver was announced.

"The officials told me after that they'd give us the opportunity to do that, which they probably should have done during that series," he said. "That's why guys were open, because we didn't ID where the eligible receivers were at."

After the Ravens were caught with 12 men on the field, the Patriots followed with three completions and the penalty on Harbaugh that put the ball on the 5. One play later, Brady hit Rob Gronkowski for a 5-yard score that made it 28-21.

Harbaugh declined to comment when asked if the ploy by Belichick, whose reputation is still stained by the revelations that he illegally videotaped the Rams practice before the 2001 Super Bowl, or that he taped opposing coaches' signal-calling in 2007, was "cheap or dirty."

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was unapologetic.

"Maybe those guys (have) got to study the rule book and figure it out," he said. "We obviously knew what we were doing."

___

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL

its pretty sad that this is what a professional team has to resort to when they can't win it the right way. instead of a good play design it was this instead:

ok so this is what we are going to do, the ineligible guy is going to tell the official at the last possible moment, then tom you run up to the line and snap the ball before the ravens can tell where the player who was announced as ineligible is lined up. this way they won't be able to get a real chance to know who to leave uncovered. ok boys if you can't beat em cheat em!!.

no, a substitution was made, Kline walked over to the sidelines and the Verren reported to the ref as an eligible receiver. Just like a TE/or tackle that comes in on a goal line play. To me it is not much different than the rb taking the direct snap or the wildcat. it took some time for defenses to adjust but they did. Did you want the refs to stop the clock and make sure everyone knows that the qb is split out wide? 

Harbough took the penalty because he thought it was illegal, he doesn't know the rules, tuff for him, he cost his team 15 yards.

tough call.. mc daniels clearly had this in his back pocket only to be used in emergency... they knew they wouldn't get away with it for too long..

it may be "smaht" but in the way that successful criminals are smart .. scummy for sure

no, a substitution was made, Kline walked over to the sidelines and the Verren reported to the ref as an eligible receiver. Just like a TE/or tackle that comes in on a goal line play. To me it is not much different than the rb taking the direct snap or the wildcat. it took some time for defenses to adjust but they did. Did you want the refs to stop the clock and make sure everyone knows that the qb is split out wide? 

Harbough took the penalty because he thought it was illegal, he doesn't know the rules, tuff for him, he cost his team 15 yards.

The refs are supposed to announce who's eligible and THEN allow the defense to substitute based on who's eligible, that's the way it works, genius. The Ravens were cheated out of being allowed to know who was eligible and of being able to substitute thereafter.

If you are resorting to finding ways to illegally substitute and illegally hiding your eligible receivers from the defense you are absolutely cheating.

It is not illegal, It just was never done before in the nfl and there is no rule against it. At the snap they had 5 players on the line, one of them was eligible and 4 of them and the back was not.  The ref points out who is eligible, but the trick is that the defense just assumes that the guy lined up where a OT would normally played was not the guy that the ref ruled was eligible.  Props to BB or whoever saw it in a college game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24953400/harbaugh-says-ne-ran-illegal-plays-tom-brady-says-study-the-rulebook

Harbaugh says NE ran 'illegal' plays; Tom Brady says study the rule book

Ravens coach John Harbaugh didn't flat-out accuse New England of cheating during the Patriots 35-31 playoff win on Saturday, but after the game, he did say that he believed the Patriots were using "illegal" formations during the game.

During the third quarter, the Patriots decided to use an unorthodox blocking scheme that only called for four offensive lineman. Because New England still needed another player at the line of scrimmage, the Patriots would have running back Shane Vereen or tight end Michael Hoomanawanui check-in as ineligble.

"It's not something that anybody has ever done before," Harbaugh said, via NFL.com. "They're an illegal type of a thing and I'm sure that (the league will) make some adjustments and things like that."

Harbaugh said that his defense wasn't given enough time to figure out who the eligible and ineligible players were.

"We wanted an opportunity to be able to identify who the eligible players were," Harbaugh said. "Because what they were doing was they would announce the eligible player and Tom (Brady) would take it to the line right away and snap the ball before (we) even figured out who was lined up where. And that was the deception part of it. It was clearly deception."

To give you an idea of what the Patriots were doing, just look at the formation below (image via SB Nation).

Vereen, who's circled, is an ineligible receiver on this play because only the end player on the line of scrimmage is eligible. Vereen clearly isn't the end player.

The yellow line represents the route Hoomanawanui is going to run. Hoomanawanui is lined up next to the left guard, where the left tackle would usually be, but Hoomanawanui isn't the left tackle, he's actually an eligible receiver.

Harbaugh got so fed up with New England's tactics that he went five yards on to the field in the third quarter and was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

The Ravens coach would go on to explain that he actually got the penalty on purpose.

"The officials told me after that they would give us the opportunity to do that, which they probably should have done during that series but they really didn't understand what was happening," Harbaugh said. "I had to go take the penalty to get their attention so they can understand what was going on."

Harbaugh's complaints came up during Brady's postgame press conference and Brady had some simple advice: Learn the rule book.

"Maybe those guys gotta study the rule book and figure it out," Brady said. "We obviously knew what we were doing and we made some pretty important plays. It was a real good weapon for us. Maybe we'll have something in store next week."

Brady didn't sound too worried about whether or not the NFL might look into what the Patriots did.

"They'll look at it then," Brady said. "I don't know what's deceiving about that. [They] should figure it out."

Hall of Fame coach Don Shula referred to Bill Belichick as 'Beli-cheat' earlier this week and it won't be surprising at all if Ravens fans decide to utilize that nickname too.

Tom Brady thinks the Ravens need to start studying their rule book. (USATSI)

It is not illegal, It just was never done before in the nfl and there is no rule against it. At the snap they had 5 players on the line, one of them was eligible and 4 of them and the back was not.  The ref points out who is eligible, but the trick is that the defense just assumes that the guy lined up where a OT would normally played was not the guy that the ref ruled was eligible.  Props to BB or whoever saw it in a college game.

The refs are supposed to announce who's eligible and THEN allow the defense to substitute based on who's eligible, that's the way it works, genius. The Ravens were cheated out of being allowed to know who was eligible and of being able to substitute thereafter.

100%.

It's typical BB doing whatever the **** he wants with no respect for the integrity of the game. He knew he couldn't win straight up.

The refs did announce who is elgible. And why should they be allowed to substitute after each time a player declares him self elgible? Do the get to substitute when the backs come out of the backfield and align themselves as WR so that the defense can bring in the dime package and get the LB of the field. How do you think the first defense coach that saw that happen feel, just like Harbough did yesterday.   After the first play the pats kept the same players on the field just changed who was eligible.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/10/harbaugh-calls-patriots-four-lineman-shell-game-unprecedented/

Harbaugh calls Patriots’ four-lineman shell game unprecedented

Getty Images

During Saturday’s thrilling, up-and-down, back-and-forth win over the Ravens, the Patriots created plenty of confusion on a key second-half drive by using four offensive lineman and playing hide-and-seek with one of the eligible receivers who would be ineligible in any given play.

The strategy worked — and it sufficiently upset coach John Harbaugh to result in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. After the game, Harbaugh elaborated on the source of sideline consternation not seen from him since the night that the lights went out in New Orleans.

t’s a substitution type of a trick type of a thing,” Harbaugh told reporters after the game. “So they don’t give you the opportunity, they don’t give you the chance to make the proper substitutions and things like that. It’s not something that anybody’s ever done before. The league will look at that type of thing and I’m sure that they’ll make some adjustments and things like that.”

Harbaugh said he simply hoped to have a chance to try to make a substitution based on who the eligible receivers would be.

“[W]e wanted an opportunity to be able to ID who the eligible players were, because what they were doing was they would announce the eligible player and then time was taken and they would go over and snap the ball before we even had the chance to figure out who was lined up where, and that was the deception part of it,” Harbaugh said. “And that was where it was clearly deception. So the officials told me after that they’d give us the opportunity to do that, which they probably should have done during that series but they didn’t really understand what was happening.”

Harbaugh explained that he deliberately provoked the flag.

“That’s why I had to go and take the penalty, to get their attention so that they would understand what was going on because they didn’t understand what was going on,” Harbaugh said. “And they said that that was the right thing, that they’d give us the chance to ID the eligible receivers so we could actually get them covered. That’s why guys were open, because we didn’t ID where the eligible receivers were at. So, that’s the nature of that particular thing they were doing, that’s what made it so difficult.”

It was an unprecedented tactic, in Harbaugh’s opinion. Asked whether he considers it to be cheap or dirty, Harbaugh stopped short.

“I’m not going to comment on that,” he said.

It’s clear he believes the Patriots exploited a loophole that sufficiently confused the officials to allow the Patriots to sufficiently confuse the Ravens. While the loophole could be closed by the Competition Committee and then the owners, New England’s ability to identify and to capitalize on a little-known quirk in the rules perhaps should be regarded neither as dirty nor cheap but effective.

100%.

It's typical BB doing whatever the **** he wants with no respect for the integrity of the game. He knew he couldn't win straight up.

Then how did the pats score on the two TD drives before that sequence and the two after if they could only score by being sneaky.

Archived