BUCKEYES @ MARIOTA - Monday; Jan 12; 8:30pm ET ESPN

jetrider

Marcus Mariota says he hasn't made decision on 2015 NFL Draft

By Bryan Fischer

DALLAS -- There's been a lot of talk by various media outlets -- and even in the scouting community -- about Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota's status for the 2015 NFL Draft and whether or not he would be one of the first players taken in the spring should he decide to apply for and be granted early entry

The always-reserved Heisman Trophy winner continued on Saturday to dismiss such thoughts of leaving school and applying for the draft, however, reiterating once again that his focus is on the team's upcoming matchup with Ohio State at AT&T Stadium.

"I really haven't made my decision yet," Mariota said at media day for the College Football Playoff National Championship Game. "I don't know if that's my future. It hasn't been a distraction because I'm really just focusing on this game and making sure I go out there prepared."

Mariota, a redshirt junior, will have just three days after the title game to file the necessary paperwork to apply for draft entry. The deadline for underclassmen to submit for early entry is Jan. 15. The signal-caller has mentioned that he'll go over the decision with family members before making anything final, but the Ducks' coaching staff indicated that it has gone over all the options with the star player when it comes to the next level.

"I think all of us kind of know what he's thinking and what he's going to do," Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost told the media prior to the Rose Bowl. "But with him, hey, nobody knows for sure."

While he was not perfect in the team's Rose Bowl win, the dual-threat star showed why his talent is so intriguing to NFL evaluators, accounting for three touchdowns and outdoing 2013 Heisman winner Jameis Winston in leading Oregon to a win. Winston has already announced he will apply for early entry into the draft.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mariota would be a mistake at 6. I'm convinced it's a lot of smoke and mirrors. He'd have to hold a clipboard for at least a year, unless you're designing an offense just for him, like the Broncos did for Tebow. Not saying he is like Tebow, but I'm not sure how much of a pro style offense would suit the guy right away.

Why doesn't that ticket say Super Bowl game?

It wasn't really known as the Super Bowl yet, this game was called the Super Bowl on the broadcast but it was a new thing...Super Bowls I and II were never called Super Bowl til after...

Not that I knew at the time, I was still a baby, but I remember reading about that somewhere.

Why doesn't that ticket say Super Bowl game?

Super Bowl Owes Its Name to a Bouncy Ball

The Green Bay Packers and Kansas City Chiefs compete during Super Bowl I on January 15, 1967. (Credit: Kidwiler Collection/Diamond Images/Getty Images)

First held on January 15, 1967, the Super Bowl might never have existed without Lamar Hunt. In the late 1950s, the Arkansas-born sports entrepreneur failed to secure a license from the National Football League to start a Dallas team. So he founded a league of his own: the American Football League. (He would eventually establish the Dallas Texans, later known as the Kansas City Chiefs, which he owned until his death in 2006.)

The upstart AFL proved a game-changing success, and in the late 1960s the NFL approached Hunt with a merger proposal. To ease the transition, the two leagues planned a series of season-ending title games between their respective champions. Like baseball’s World Series, the event would bring the best players from both organizations onto the same field.

When it came time to choose a name for the contest, Hunt made history once again. Meeting to plan the inaugural game in the summer of 1966, Hunt and other football kingpins ironed out the details but couldn’t nail down a catchy moniker. Officially, the event would be known as the “First AFL-NFL World Championship Game,” but its organizers referred to it as the “final game,” the “championship game” and other iterations that never quite caught on.

During one of these meeting, Hunt blurted out an alternative with staying power: the “Super Bowl.” He soon admitted that his two children’s latest obsession, an ultra-bouncy orb called the “Super Ball,” had likely inspired his flash of brilliance. (The world “bowl” was already in use for college football championships at the time.) Other members of the planning committee began tossing the name around, and before long the media picked up on it.

The Hunt kids’ beloved Super Ball was the brainchild of chemist Norman Stingley, who developed it as a side project while working for a California rubber company in the early 1960s. He discovered that highly pressurized synthetic rubber had remarkable bounce when shaped into a sphere. Stingley’s employer passed on the innovation, but toy manufacturer Wham-O—maker of the Hula Hoop and Frisbee—understood its appeal and bought the concept. By the summer of 1965 the Super Ball was one of America’s most popular playthings.

Though fans quickly adopted the “Super Bowl” title, it had its detractors—including Pete Rozelle, commissioner of the NFL. According to the 2002 memoirs of Super Bowl founding father Don Weiss, entitled “The Making of the Super Bowl,” Rozelle hated the word “super,” which he considered too colloquial. So in mid-1969, a contest was held to rebrand the championship under a new label. None of the submissions—Weiss mentions “Ultimate Bowl” and “Premier Bowl” as the best of the bunch—won over the judges.

Even Hunt himself felt lukewarm about the term he coined. “I guess it is a little corny, but it looks like we’re stuck with it,” he told an AP reporter in January 1970. After describing the connection to his children’s bouncy ball, he said, “Kinda silly, isn’t it? I’m not proud of it. But nobody’s come up with anything better.”

Mariota would be a mistake at 6. I'm convinced it's a lot of smoke and mirrors. He'd have to hold a clipboard for at least a year, unless you're designing an offense just for him, like the Broncos did for Tebow. Not saying he is like Tebow, but I'm not sure how much of a pro style offense would suit the guy right away.

anyone who drafts Mariota to run a "pro style" offense should be run out of football.   you take Mariota and then you camp out at Oregon to the learn the O from Helfrich.  

Archived