The Duck sucked, take the young Buck!

docdhc

Cardale Jones is a 2nd year sophomore, eliglible for the draft.  I know it is a small sample size but 6'5", rocket for an arm, and mobile too.  Poised enough to win a national championship and he might not even start if he stays on his college team.  You may have seen our #6 pick last night.  

Will Ohio State hero Cardale Jones go to the NFL? It's really not that crazy

01-expert-feat-posts-70x70-png_230024.pn 
By Dan Wetzel2 hours agoYahoo Sports
  •  
  •  
  •  

ARLINGTON, Texas – The folkhero sat in front of his locker, a baseball cap reading "Undisputed National Champions" perched on his head. A couple months ago, almost no one knew who he was.

Now Cardale Jones may be the most intriguing player in college football, an out-of-nowhere star quarterback and potential overnight NFL prospect.

The improbable three-game run where Jones went from anonymous to everything was almost too much to fathom. In the minutes after Ohio State's 42-20 victory against Oregon to win the College Football Playoff title, a guy who couldn't get off the bench until late November was asked whether he'd forgo his final two years of college and declare for the draft.

It was that quick. And the answer wasn't certain.

"It's something I will probably consider," Jones said after the win. "But my focus is my degree. …

"I don't know," Jones continued, "I live, not just football, but I take everything one day at a time. In my opinion [he'll be back for a redshirt junior year], but you never know what the future holds.

"It's definitely a 'Who knows?' right now," he continued. "It's up in the air right now."

Ideally, the NFL wants someone who spends three, four years as a collegiate starter, gaining all sorts of experience and insight, and arriving at its doorstep as prepared as possible. The less you've played, the more likely you can't play, especially at quarterback. The league is doing all it can to encourage QBs to exhaust their eligibility.

Jones is anything but experienced. He started three games as a college player. He's thrown just 94 passes, ever. He could still play two more seasons for Ohio State.

But what he showed in those three games overwhelmed the expectations of everyone … except himself.

"Yeah, I knew I could play like this," Jones said. "Yeah I knew."

Which leaves him in a most unique position, not all that different than any other position he's ever been in. Raised in chaos in Cleveland, doubted throughout high school (he choose the Buckeyes over Toledo), forced to six months of prep school and then a redshirt season, finally pushed down the depth charts, nothing ever just comes easy and simple for Jones.

Except when he took the helm of the Buckeyes offense and led them to victories over Wisconsin, Alabama and now the Ducks. He completed 61.3 percent of his passes, throwing for 742 yards and five touchdowns.

More than that, he displayed by far the strongest arm in college football. His ability to flick it all over the field, to whip tight spirals through coverage, to heave it, he says, as much as 80-85 yards is the kind of gift that few, anywhere, have. This kid is an absolute rocket-launcher, top-end NFL quarterback natural talent.

"He can definitely chuck it," said J.T. Barrett, the quarterback whose season-ending injury pushed Jones into the spotlight.

Put him in a pro day and the scouts will drool. This is a rare, rare talent.

At 6-foot-5, 250 pounds, he is an absolute brute out on the field, easily shedding sacks and rolling through arm tackles. He showed a canny ability to sense pressure in the pocket and deal with it while still looking down field for an open man.

He's not just mobile but more than capable of barreling over smaller, and sometimes bigger, players. In a critical run Thursday, he knocked over 310-pound defensive lineman Alex Balducci for a first down. You can't teach that.

VHe's a superior runner, and a better pure athlete, than Florida State's Jameis Winston. Not to mention he has that stronger arm.

And Winston is in the discussion to go No. 1 overall.

The difference is Winston has 28 starts under his belt. He’s shown an ability to make nearly every throw in football, which Jones hasn’t. Winston is the far more developed prospect, with not just far more game experience but also a huge advantage in practice reps, game film watched and just plain understanding of football. 

Jones admits he wasn’t fully participating in practice during much of the season and really improved only late. “Just being more engaged when I am not in,” Jones said. 

It’s not much an endorsement for his work ethic. It’s backed up by stories of how he was when he first arrived in Columbus, immature and soft, both physically and mentally.

“He was last in conditioning,” Ohio State strength coach Mickey Marotti said. “I told him, ‘You’ll never play quarterback here. You’re last in everything. I’ve never coached a quarterback who is last.’ He’s the complete opposite of Tim Tebow. He never was zoned in. But he kept working, kept plugging. He’s a great example: Never give up.”

The best case for Cardale would be to return to Ohio State and get a full season (or two) as the starter under his belt.

It isn't that easy in the loaded Buckeyes quarterback room. There's fifth-year senior Braxton Miller, the No. 1 starter during preseason camp until he was injured. Then there's Barrett, who was the No. 2 until he went down.

Coach Urban Meyer said he expects everyone back to compete for the job. Barrett echoed the same sentiment.

"Of course," Barrett said. "We're competitors."

The idea everyone returns is unlikely, though. Miller has just one more season to prepare for the NFL, and the possibility of burning it as a backup to either Barrett or Jones makes little sense. As a graduating senior, he can transfer anywhere in the country without sitting out a year. Maybe it's Florida State. Maybe it's Oregon. Maybe (if he's daring enough) it's even rival Michigan, where the NFL's Jim Harbaugh is now the coach. Who knows.

Either way, Miller needs to consider making a business decision. And as for Jones, well, he was asked, if he gets beat out again by one of the other guys who beat him out before, could he see himself being a backup again?

"That's a good question," he said without answering.

When a small group of media began laughing, Jones laughed too.

"That's a good question," he repeated. "I don't know."

This entire thing is so fast, so furious that Jones probably doesn't know. His answers were honest but hardly reassuring to any assumption that he's a solid return. He has until Thursday to make up his mind, so whatever he picks, it will be a rash choice.

He'll forever be a hero in Ohio for coming off the bench and not just saving a season, but propelling it to legend. It was the 59-0 beatdown of Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game that was so eye-popping the selection committee couldn't keep the Buckeyes out, leapfrogging them over an excellent TCU program. The selection committee said it actually gave Ohio State an added bump because it assumed the third-string QB could be only so good, a laughable concept now.

Against mighty Alabama, he was the best quarterback on the field. He said he didn't bother worrying about outdueling Marcus Mariota, the Heisman winner, here Thursday, but if he didn't outduel him, he certainly played him to a draw. Mariota is discussed as the No. 1 pick too.

So forget the third-string narrative, Jones is an exceptional player. He always was.

"You just didn't know," Barrett said. "You all didn't know Cardale could do that. You probably all said 'third-string quarterback' because that's where he was on the depth chart. But we all knew. We saw in practice."

Now Jones must decide whether to buck all odds and blaze an unlikely trail to the NFL, to bank on letting it rip in a pro day and daring someone not to draft him. He can get paid while he develops.

Or he comes back to Columbus and risks a fight for playing time and a test of patience that would come with a return to the bench.

There's never been a story quite like Cardale Jones or these Buckeyes. There's never been a nobody who became such a mega-star so quickly. This isn't how college football is supposed to work.

"I don't know," Jones kept saying about the NFL. "I don't know."

He wasn't doubting that he could do it, though. Confidence, everyone now knows, is never, ever an issue.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a terrible article, the idea of using a 6th overall pick on a qb who played three games?? Also lets keep in mind Mariota was missing his top 4 weapons, I for one would be thrilled with Mariota, he is a smart kid who has the skill set needed to be an NFL QB.

Mariota looks like another high powered college QB, that might not be able to cut it in the NFL. Stay. Away.

He's going back to the Buckeyes

if he goes back to school it will be as a backup

they have a guy who is one of those "best in the country" type recruits. I'm too lazy to look it up but Cardale Jones needs to declare

as for the Jets they need a QB. Honestly I don't care about the so called "reach" pick. Go ahead and reach. It can't get any worse.

If they go into next year selling Geno Smith as the starter, I won't watch it. 

Jones should obviously not go into the draft however he looked terrific imo in all three games I watched him play.  He certainly did not look like a 3 game boy wonder.  RB's are so iffy when making the transition but Elliot looks like the total package, big play speed, power and perhaps most important, patience and instincts to wait for blocks to develop.

they have a guy who is one of those "best in the country" type recruits. I'm too lazy to look it up but Cardale Jones needs to declare

as for the Jets they need a QB. Honestly I don't care about the so called "reach" pick. Go ahead and reach. It can't get any worse.

Well actually it can get worse.  If you pass on the next sheldon richardson, darrel revis to reach for a Qb it gets worse.  this constant reaching for QB's because of need has become a disease in the nfl, locker, ponder, gabbert, etc etc.  A true really good Qb propsect is there for you?  By all means go for it but forget this reaching in the 1st round.  draft a Qb in almost every draft?  Sure I can go with that but artificially moving a guys value up due to need is a recipe for disaster.

Gotta grab one of these guys. Physically Jones is Rothliseberger but 3 starts is an issue.  JIones'  weight is well above 230. Not sure if he has lifted a weight or run a spint until he got the call. The question is which guy and which round. Because Geno Smith BLOWS. 

Archived