What rookies were you wrong about this past draft? Which surprised you?

Villain The Foe

I pride myself on WR's and I totally got Odell Beckham Jr. wrong. Im big on hands when it comes to WR's. If you dont have hands then I dont even bother. This dude is absolutely filthy catching the football. I had to go back and catch some of his earlier games given that I wasnt paying mind to him when he got on the field until after he just exploded. I dont know how in the world I didnt see that. Probably because I thought his team mate at LSU Landry had better hands, just not as good an athlete. I didnt think he would be a bust, not at all. If the Jets would have drafted him I would have been good with it. The reason why I say that I got it wrong is based on HOW GOOD this guy is. Its like two different people, its like the NFL is cake for this dude. I'm highly impressed and will enjoy following his career. 

Anyway, thats who I got totally wrong in the Draft. I still love me my Jordan Matthews who had a very solid rookie campaign by the way, but Odell Beckham obviously comes from the planet "Jordan". 

As for the rookie that Surprised me? Kelvin Benjamin. I have to admit, this WR draft class was f'ing loaded but anyone who followed me knows that I felt Benjamin was getting too much credit. The kid was solid for Carolina I'll give him that. Still not a fan, Mike Evans is way better, but Kelvin has shown that his hands are more consistent than I thought. I do feel that the Jury is still out on him. We'll have to see. 

What rookies have you gotten wrong and which rookies has surprised you? 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can you say that about Benjamin? Carolina's only legit weapon and he killed it as a rooooooookie. Mike even is nasty but has a lot more around him to alleviate pressure. Benjamin also shined in the playoffs where no other except devonte Adams has shined. I wishhhhh the jets drafted Benjamin man, perfect compliment to decker and kerley (obviously I was thinking before Harvin)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We actually agree on everything so I will give you a few more.

The good

I thought Haha Clinton Dix would be a good pick. I really liked Fuller coming out. I liked Derek Carr coming out.

The bad

I did not think Sammy Watkins would do as well as he did. Partially because of the Bills QB situation and partially because I thought he was overrated.

I thought Manziel would do better than he did. 

How can you say that about Benjamin? Carolina's only legit weapon and he killed it as a rooooooookie. Mike even is nasty but has a lot more around him to alleviate pressure. Benjamin also shined in the playoffs where no other except devonte Adams has shined. I wishhhhh the jets drafted Benjamin man, perfect compliment to decker and kerley (obviously I was thinking before Harvin)

Because this is what I thought "pre draft". Thats the purpose of the thread. Who did you get wrong and who surprised you. I still think the Jury is out on Benjamin, my opinion, but at the same time Im giving the man his credit. No hate, but it is my opinion. 

There's people who will think one way about a player and when either proven totally wrong or at least is shown that the guy is better than they thought they will continue to hold that feeling. Thats just a grudge. Im not grudging on Kelvin, I just didnt think that he was as good as people advertised him to be. People were saying that he is arguably the best WR in the draft and if he's taken in the top 10 it wouldnt be a mistake. And because of this statement this is why I say the Jury is still out on him. He had a solid rookie campaign, but given what I've seen from rookies that were drafted before him I dont think he was worth a top 5-top 10 pick. Where he was drafted was about right given the talent of the class. 

The good

I thought Haha Clinton Dix would be a good pick. I really liked Fuller coming out. I liked Derek Carr coming out.

The bad

I did not think Sammy Watkins would do as well as he did. Partially because of the Bills QB situation and partially because I thought he was overrated.

I had no faith in Johnny Manziel. I think his game was great for college. Very flashy and reckless, its great for the "student body". As a professional, I was scared because I thought that the Jets would be that team that would draft him given that Geno didnt look so good. But that was also based on the fact that I figured Bridgewater would be gone by the time we picked. 

Thats another one that surprised me. I didnt think Bridgewater would have fallen the way he did. This kid has the tools and it sucks to know that the only reason we passed on him is because of F'ing Geno Smith. We would have had our franchise QB right now.

Because this is what I thought "pre draft". Thats the purpose of the thread. Who did you get wrong and who surprised you. I still think the Jury is out on Benjamin, my opinion, but at the same time Im giving the man his credit. No hate, but it is my opinion.

There's people who will think one way about a player and when either proven totally wrong or at least is shown that the guy is better than they thought they will continue to hold that feeling. Thats just a grudge. Im not grudging on Kelvin, I just didnt think that he was as good as people advertised him to be. People were saying that he is arguably the best WR in the draft and if he's taken in the top 10 it wouldnt be a mistake. And because of this statement this is why I say the Jury is still out on him. He had a solid rookie campaign, but given what I've seen from rookies that were drafted before him I dont think he was worth a top 5-top 10 pick. Where he was drafted was about right given the talent of the class.

while I understand where you are coming from, you have to look at the other teams that drafted wr's and the other weapons that they had on the team. Benjamin is clearly the only weapon aside from cam on the offense. I still believe Benjamin was worth a top 10 pick based on his production and lack of weapons around him. All good my man, friendly convo. Still wish the jets had him :(

The good

The bad

... I was absolutely right about Manziel being immature and a possible big bust.  I was wrong on Zack Martin, who played much better than I thought he could.  Did not like any

of the Jets WR picks--  but we've talked about that many times.   I was hoping for Donte Montcrief as a  Jets 3rd-round pick;  he's looking more like a real steal;-- of course

our great Scout Dept.  missed on him , also.

while I understand where you are coming from, you have to look at the other teams that drafted wr's and the other weapons that they had on the team. Benjamin is clearly the only weapon aside from cam on the offense. I still believe Benjamin was worth a top 10 pick based on his production and lack of weapons around him. All good my man, friendly convo. Still wish the jets had him :(

You're right. Carolina had no WR's going into the draft. We all knew that. But at the same time because of that this is why his numbers where what they were. And remember, the Panthers still had a losing record. When you're basically the only weapon on a team that has a franchise QB I expect you to gain 1000 yards and a few TD's on the season. If he was on the Jets he'd have half those numbers, and thats based on the QB play, not him as a WR and thats the difference. Odell Beckham put up numbers not because of the QB but because he was the best player on the field much of the time. Sammy Watkins put up numbers because he was the most explosive out of a pretty solid group of WR's. Kelvin Benjamin just so happened to be the best WR on a team that has a franchise QB. So the Jury is out on him. I'd take Decker of Benjamin. 

I was wrong on Kelvin Benjamin.  I thought he would be another Mike Williams.   I was never a fan of Manzel and he may still prove me wrong. 

I did think Blake Bortles would be something.  Looking like I pulled a Sanchez on that one.

I was wrong on Kelvin Benjamin.  I thought he would be another Mike Williams.   I was never a fan of Manzel and he may still prove me wrong. 

I did think Blake Bortles would be something.  Looking like I pulled a Sanchez on that one.

I forgot about that. I thought that the Jags should have drafted Bridgewater. Bortles was impressive. That surprised me as well based on where he was drafted. Kid show promised in the reg. season and literally exposed backups in the preseason. 

I was right about my guy Jordan Matthews. I loved him so much. And Jeremy Hill.

I was wrong about nothing, because I am a Goddamn genius.

Matthews did his damn thing is Philly. Even made Sanchez look good, though he couldn't help Sanchez from throwing those damn INT's. If Sanchez could only stop that sh_t. 

i thought pryor would make more of an impact. I thought Manziel would be better as a rookie. 

in fairness I also thought Taylor Lewan would be the best OT of the big three and that seemed to work out. 

Pryor was a disappointment overall. He did flash at times though, especially when eating up yardage to get from the secondary to the line of scrimmage to stop plays in their tracks. He would then destroy that by whiffing the very next play. 

3 years from now I think the Jets will be happy though. 

Ah yeah. I was also big on Mike Williams (USC) and bit told me he would suck. But was right on that guy, so in my face

I remember writing an article for this site that was basically a Mike Williams blowjay in print form.

He made so many of us look foolish.

We need to have Idzik come into this thread, his list would be long.

I also thought Benjamin was a bust candidate.  Was right about OBJ.  Had a long epic thread on the jetsinsider draft forum about beckham vs cooks.

Not as long as many would think. I think this years draft will ultimately pan out. Guys who I think will be players in this league. 

1. Pryor, 2. IK, 3. McDougle, 4. Evans. 

I still think he should have drafted Matthews in the 2nd and Phillip Gaines in the 3rd. I was shocked when Gaines was still on the board when McDougle was drafted, and Gaines had a damn Solid year for KC. 

Archived