Interesting notes on the GM \ Head Coach reporting structure

Maxman

Here are some notes on the Jets new reporting structure, I found these to be interesting.  

1.  Mike Maccagnan (GM) and the new head coach (yet to be named) both report directly to Woody Johnson.  So the head coach will not report to the GM.

2. Mike Maccagnan (GM) will have final say on the final roster.

3.  The head coach decides who plays on game day. He has final say on that.

Every candidate that was interviewed met with the Jets for a minimum of 3 hours. Woody Johnson was in every interview. Woody, Casserly and Wolf handled all the football questions. We were told that Neil Glat didn't ask any questions, he was there for any business related questions, if they came up.

Here are some notes on the Jets new reporting structure, I found these to be interesting.  

1.  Mike Maccagnan (GM) and the new head coach (yet to be named) both report directly to Woody Johnson.  So the head coach will not report to the GM.

2. Mike Maccagnan (GM) will have final say on the final roster.

3.  The head coach decides who plays on game day. He has final say on that.

Every candidate that was interviewed met with the Jets for a minimum of 3 hours. Woody Johnson was in every interview. Woody, Casserly and Wolf handled all the football questions. We were told that Neil Glat didn't ask any questions, he was there for any business related questions, if they came up.

Thanks for posting this. I actually like item #1 a lot, it flattens the hierarchy between the coach and GM and makes them partners, reporting to one supervisor, rather than manager and reportee, which sets up a paradigm of cause and effect, failure and blame. The think I think Woody learned watching Rex and Idzik is that there was no partnership. I don't expect he'll make the mistakes that led up to that again. I hope.

Thanks for posting this. I actually like item #1 a lot, it flattens the hierarchy between the coach and GM and makes them partners, reporting to one supervisor, rather than manager and reportee, which sets up a paradigm of cause and effect, failure and blame. The think I think Woody learned watching Rex and Idzik is that there was no partnership. I don't expect he'll make the mistakes that led up to that again. I hope.

It'd be pretty awesome if Woody hired Casserly now to be the guy that the HC and GM actually report to. What the **** is Woody going to do when Bowles storms into his office complaining about a CB he wants?

If Maccagnan has final say on the 53, you'd think that'd preclude Quinn from coming here if reports are true that he wanted some measure of control.

what lol.. this is a guy whose been a DC for only 2 years yes? Essentially the Mark Sanchez of candidates, and he had the balls to want roster control?

I don't know if I should be impressed or appalled

If Maccagnan has final say on the 53, you'd think that'd preclude Quinn from coming here if reports are true that he wanted some measure of control.

Nice eye for detail, this might be the truest tell as to whom the Jets wanted all along.

It'd be pretty awesome if Woody hired Casserly now to be the guy that the HC and GM actually report to. What the **** is Woody going to do when Bowles storms into his office complaining about a CB he wants?

I'd have no problem with this, we need ourselves a czar.... 

It'd be pretty awesome if Woody hired Casserly now to be the guy that the HC and GM actually report to. What the fuck is Woody going to do when Bowles storms into his office complaining about a CB he wants?

What is more likely is a consulting type relationship. Woody will have someone that he trusts that he can lean on when it comes to football decisions that reach his level.

I don't think Casserly or Wolf are interested in a full time job. And as appreciative as Maccagnan probably is, he probably doesn't want to report to his mentor, either. I understand what you're saying, though. Maybe they can both report to Bradway. :)

we'll see how it works out but I'm not a fan of this structure.   you say partners, I say it creates a constant battle and power struggle between GM + HC.  The GM has control of the roster but if the HC disagrees with the decisions he goes and complains to Woody.   

I hope it works out but my guess is that this ends in a zero sum game where one forces the other out.  

we'll see how it works out but I'm not a fan of this structure. you say partners, I say it creates a constant battle and power struggle between GM + HC. The GM has control of the roster but if the HC disagrees with the decisions he goes and complains to Woody.

I hope it works out but my guess is that this ends in a zero sum game where one forces the other out.

this type of structure depends on competant top leadership.. with woody at the top of our pyramid, I think its clear that it's not ideal for us

we'll see how it works out but I'm not a fan of this structure. you say partners, I say it creates a constant battle and power struggle between GM + HC. The GM has control of the roster but if the HC disagrees with the decisions he goes and complains to Woody.

That was kind of my impression as well. Seems like it would be more streamlined and less prone to chaos if the head coach reported to the GM, who reported to the owner.

we'll see how it works out but I'm not a fan of this structure.   you say partners, I say it creates a constant battle and power struggle between GM + HC.  The GM has control of the roster but if the HC disagrees with the decisions he goes and complains to Woody.   

I won't deny, it totally could manifest in that... but so could a structure where the coach reports to the GM, those situations all you hear about is how the coach wants more say. I think it comes down to chemistry between the individuals. If you get a pair of egos that can compliment each other, it works for them to be put in place at partners. 

but then Woody will be deciding when there is a football debate between the two?  That makes my sphincter tighten.  Money fine, but not football.

It's scary to think just how dysfunctional Rex and Idzik were together.

Yes this is the real takeaway from this power structure deal.  I get the impression that Rex might have been barred from speaking to Woody!!!

I say this because you have to put in that the HC can speak to the owner????  Isn't this a given!!!  Just wow!!! 

I favored the Idzik hire but the plain fact is Idzik was a MORON!!! 

Thank God Woody had the will to pull the plug on his reign of error...

Woody should have nothing to do with any football related decisions. As long as he's involved it's a recipe for disaster. He wants desperately to be another George Steinbrenner. That is more important to him than winning a super bowl.

Woody should have nothing to do with any football related decisions. As long as he's involved it's a recipe for disaster. He wants desperately to be another George Steinbrenner. That is more important to him than winning a super bowl.

All George did was win and spend money. Woody does neither. 

Leak rumors to the tabloids, complain about the GM, and brainwash the fanbase. Standard operating procedure, really.

All George did was win and spend money. Woody does neither.

But he got it when he got thrown out of baseball for a few years and stick michael built the dynasty. Woody will never get it. Hell, even Kraft got it in 2000.

Archived