Credit where it's due: Nice work, Woody Johnson.

T0mShane

I know we have the Maccagnan thread and the Bowles thread, but I personally wanted to give an ol' tip of the cap to Woody Johnson here. I rip on the guy mercilessly, but it appears as though he followed the right path this time around: he hired two of the more respected voices in the game in Wolf and Casserly and then he actually listened to them. Neither Maccagnan nor Bowles are household names, neither one is going to sell a PSL, and neither guy pretends to be a celebrity, but Woody hired them anyway. And he hired them because the two respected football men he brought in interviewed them, vetted them, and recommended them. Woody could have chased Dan Quinn into February, or he could have sold out to hire John Fox. Or, worse, he could have spent a few weeks lurching onto the back pages by tossing futile offers at guys like Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan, but he didn't. He listened to Wolf and Casserly and picked two guys who seem to be all about winning football games. Maybe this is the corner that Woody turns here. Maybe Casserly and Wolf sat Woody down and explained to him what winning franchises look like on the inside. Or maybe Woody Johnson, fresh off of putting a bullet into Tannenbaum and then Idzik, and finally Rex, realized that his priorities were screwed up. Either way, it looks like he's finally growing into the job. You go, Woody Johnson.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that this is where this belongs:

Todd Bowles received a call last night from owner Woody Johnson wanting him to come in for his second visit before the Atlanta interview.

So now that we got him, I'm guessing Woody's big hook wasn't "Todd, Todd.  You're not a Falcon.  You need to be a Jet.  In Atlanta you'll just be another black guy."

Let's circle back on this in mid October. Way to early to make a call on. Woody doesn't have a good track record. Let's not make him out to be Art Rooney just yet.

Good job by Woody bringing in football guys, not Robert Half to find and vette a GM and a grown-up to replace New York Bozo as the HC

I think Wolf/Casserly were looking to hurry up and get their paycheck and skip town!

Waiting for Quinn would require them to travel with Woody and have meetings and dinner with him everyday until this process was over.

An additional 3 weeks proved to be too much for the old guys! :russian:

I know we have the Maccagnan thread and the Bowles thread, but I personally wanted to give an ol' tip of the cap to Woody Johnson here. I rip on the guy mercilessly, but it appears as though he followed the right path this time around: he hired two of the more respected voices in the game in Wolf and Casserly and then he actually listened to them. Neither Maccagnan nor Bowles are household names, neither one is going to sell a PSL, and neither guy pretends to be a celebrity, but Woody hired them anyway. And he hired them because the two respected football men he brought in interviewed them, vetted them, and recommended them. Woody could have chased Dan Quinn into February, or he could have sold out to hire John Fox. Or, worse, he could have spent a few weeks lurching onto the back pages by tossing futile offers at guys like Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan, but he didn't. He listened to Wolf and Casserly and picked two guys who seem to be all about winning football games. Maybe this is the corner that Woody turns here. Maybe Casserly and Wolf sat Woody down and explained to him what winning franchises look like on the inside. Or maybe Woody Johnson, fresh off of putting a bullet into Tannenbaum and then Idzik, and finally Rex, realized that his priorities were screwed up. Either way, it looks like he's finally growing into the job. You go, Woody Johnson.

What I also like is that it's not so obviously reactionary... From a coaching POV, the typical Jet move would have been to bring in an offensive coordinator with Tom Coughlin type personality...

Herm Edwards was too much of a players coach... Hire Eric Mangini

We can't beat the Patriots... Hire Eric Mangini

Eric Mangini has no personality... Hire Rex Ryan

Mike Tannenbaum was spent/traded too freely... Hire John Idzik

The pendulum only swung in this one in that we wanted a personnel guy at GM, which is probably what we should have had all along.

Actually I am devastated. I think Quinn is the real deal. I think this is a terrible move.

I believe that this is where this belongs:

Todd Bowles received a call last night from owner Woody Johnson wanting him to come in for his second visit before the Atlanta interview.

This plus what Tom said. He listened to the right guys, and when he found a HC that his advisers recommended and that he wanted, he went out and made sure to get him. Great job by Woody.

Archived