Mel Kiper's First Mock Draft

CrazyCarl40

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Mel-Kiper-Mock-Draft&ex_cid=espntw

It's an "Insider" article so I don't have the full article to post, because shenanigans. But He has them taking (surprise) a pass rusher named Shane Ray:

Brian Costello @BrianCoz  ·  23m 23 minutes ago

In his first mock draft, Mel Kiper has Jets taking Missouri SE Shane Ray #nyj

Here is a cool article about him:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000438269/article/ask-5-who-is-best-nfl-comparison-for-missouri-de-shane-ray

Ask 5: Who is best NFL comparison for Missouri DE Shane Ray?
  • 2012_Jeremiah-65x90.jpg
  • By Daniel Jeremiah
  • NFL Media analyst

Alabama and Missouri will square off on Saturday in the SEC title game. Every college football fan in the country is familiar with Crimson Tide star wide receiver Amari Cooper, but Missouri has some star power, too. Defensive end Shane Ray is one of the top pass rushers in the country.

I polled five NFL executives and asked them for a Ray comparison from a previous draft class. Here are the results:

Executive No. 1: Von Miller

"He has an outstanding get-off and he's bendy working the edge.

Executive No. 2: Bruce Irvin

"His effort and speed off the edge remind me of Bruce Irvin coming out of West Virginia."

Executive No. 3: Jerry Hughes

"His explosiveness and build remind me of Jerry Hughes."

Executive No. 4: Barkevious Mingo and Von Miller

"He's a mix of Barkevious Mingo and Von Miller but I'll lean more toward Miller. Big-time burst off the edge."

Executive No. 5: DeMarcus Ware

"He's a poor man's DeMarcus Ware. He's not quite as athletic but he's explosive off the edge and has surprising power."

Verdict: It was a bit of a mixed bag, with five different players being mentioned. Miller's was the only name that came up more than once.

He's more of a traditional OLB than DE.

Dante Fowler Jr. is another guy who could be an elite OLB pass rusher.

Been awhile since we actually drafted one of those rather than drafting a really good DE and truning him into a mediocre outside linebacker/pass rusher.  Still would like to see a QB myself.  

Been awhile since we actually drafted one of those rather than drafting a really good DE and truning him into a mediocre outside linebacker/pass rusher.  Still would like to see a QB myself.  

Me too but we're exploring the potential that no QB is available at 6.

I <3 u

Me too but we're exploring the potential that no QB is available at 6.

I <3 u

Trade up.  Draft QB every year until you find one.  Oh hell, sweet one or even two until you do.  We need an older stop gap to come in and compete, for real this time with Geno with a young buck sitting on the bench waiting for his turn.  Don;t really care who if it's a guy we get early, late or in the middle.  Just need to stabilize the QB spot.  Hell Carr, Bridgewater or the kid the Pats took last year would have been way better than Taj freaking Boyd?  Taj?  What the hell kinda name is Taj?   

Trade up.  Draft QB every year until you find one.  Oh hell, sweet one or even two until you do.  We need an older stop gap to come in and compete, for real this time with Geno with a young buck sitting on the bench waiting for his turn.  Don;t really care who if it's a guy we get early, late or in the middle.  Just need to stabilize the QB spot.  Hell Carr, Bridgewater or the kid the Pats took last year would have been way better than Taj freaking Boyd?  Taj?  What the hell kinda name is Taj?   

Yes and no. On one hand, i think you're right - unless you have tom brady, you ought keep that stable of QBs swollen.... BUT, fck spending a first round pick every year from now to infinity trying to catch lightning in bottle. You can take Grayson or someone like Petty this year and ACTUALLY develop them. No way i'm on board with burning a pick this year just to throw another kid to the wolves. 

Yes and no. On one hand, i think you're right - unless you have tom brady, you ought keep that stable of QBs swollen.... BUT, fck spending a first round pick every year from now to infinity trying to catch lightning in bottle. You can take Grayson or someone like Petty this year and ACTUALLY develop them. No way i'm on board with burning a pick this year just to throw another kid to the wolves. 

If your saying you do not want to draft someone who MUST start right away I agree 100%.  If we can get a kid who tears up training camp like Wilson did then i say let the boy ball.  Careless what round we get him in.  1st, second, 3rd 4th...   Don;t care just want one. 

This development of mid-round QBs is really only something people say when they'd rather draft someone else in the first, it's just a pipe-dream.  The numbers for mid-round QBs turning into legitimate starting NFL quarterbacks is absolutely abysmal.  Petty is dogsh*t: these pass-happy, shotgun, spread-formation offenses to not have a track record of producing quality players, however, if he's the best rated player on your board in the 3rd or 4th round, sure, take him.  Just don't expect him to become anything more than a solid backup and be prepared to draft a QB in the first when the time presents itself. 

From what I've seen so far, Ray looks more like an end and Gregory looks more like a linebacker. I don't know how much of a difference that really makes for Ray with Bowles here, Arizona was nominally 3-4 but their edge guy was Abraham and it really is all the same.

Interesting. I see it just the opposite. Ray doesn't really have the physical make up of a DE. And I saw them stand him up a lot this year which makes me see him as a great 3-4 OLB fit.

Gregory seems like more of the traditional 4-3 DE. He's got an injury history though. That kind of scares me.

Good point on J.Abe in the system. Guess that's what everyone refers to wen talking about Bowles making it work with what he's got.

Interesting. I see it just the opposite. Ray doesn't really have the physical make up of a DE. And I saw them stand him up a lot this year which makes me see him as a great 3-4 OLB fit.

Gregory seems like more of the traditional 4-3 DE. He's got an injury history though. That kind of scares me.

Good point on J.Abe in the system. Guess that's what everyone refers to wen talking about Bowles making it work with what he's got.

Ray is a DE with DE/OLB size and athleticism. Alot like Abraham, and a guy who played OLB in Merriman, his game is about getting into the backfield.

Gregory's too small to be a 4-3 DE, built with the rangy frame of guys of DE/OLB converts like Orakpo/Kerrigan/Pace/Suggs/Thomas/Taylor.

It's all bullsh*t at this this point anyway. They'll be asked to do most of the same stuff and end up doing whatever they can. I like Ray much more for this team and probably in general.

This development of mid-round QBs is really only something people say when they'd rather draft someone else in the first, it's just a pipe-dream.  The numbers for mid-round QBs turning into legitimate starting NFL quarterbacks is absolutely abysmal.  Petty is dogsh*t: these pass-happy, shotgun, spread-formation offenses to not have a track record of producing quality players, however, if he's the best rated player on your board in the 3rd or 4th round, sure, take him.  Just don't expect him to become anything more than a solid backup and be prepared to draft a QB in the first when the time presents itself. 

I'm not expecting magic from mid round QBs, but I honestly think there's a better chance (today) of taking a Grayson or Bridge and developing them, over taking some of these overrated shmucks in the first - who invariably get pushed into action too quickly. Geno had no right playing in 2013. EJ Manuel needs like half a decade. Bortles? C'mon... 

Honestly, over the last 7 years, the only QBs not named Luck (b/c he's an outlier) to actually pan out, is Stafford, Flacco and Ryan. Three fcking QBs!!!!  

The list of casualties includes:

RG3, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Gabbert, EJ Manuel, Ponder, Locker, Tannehill, Tebow, Bradford, Manziel, Freeman, Weeden, Sanchez....

OK, I'll give you Newton, and maybe Tannehill, though he could have easily used 2 years holding the clipboard.

Meanwhile, how many mid round QBs have panned out in that same period?.... the same! Nick Foles, R. Wilson, Kaepernick, Dalton (i guess). Hell, years later Jimmy Clausen actually looks OK.

My point -- Mariota? Fck no. Winston? No thanks. I don't need him raping someone's mother for a lobster-tail. He's the closest thing to being a stafford or Ryan, but unfortunately, he's a tool. Take Cooper, Parker, Gurley - I don't care. Just don't waste my pick on another bum who'll be raping chicks and throwing pick sixes

Ray is a DE with DE/OLB size and athleticism. Alot like Abraham, and a guy who played OLB in Merriman, his game is about getting into the backfield.

Gregory's too small to be a 4-3 DE, built with the rangy frame of guys of DE/OLB converts like Orakpo/Kerrigan/Pace/Suggs/Thomas/Taylor.

It's all bullsh*t at this this point anyway. They'll be asked to do most of the same stuff and end up doing whatever they can. I like Ray much more for this team and probably in general.

Honestly, I didnt realize Gregory was so skinny.  He's a local boy, I knew he was a tall guy, 6'6...had no clue he was only 240.  Ray has him on weight and he's 4 inches shorter.  

That's really what I was basing it off, that and I've watched Ray play standing up...and I've only see Gregory a couple of time and he seemed to always have his hand in the dirt. 

But you guys are right, there isnt much difference...the I guess the real question is who can play in space and is strong enough to take on Tackles consistently. 

Let me tell you about the Sean Mannion I want to develop.

He has the size and build you look for in a QB

He has the arm strength to make any NFL throw.

He's your typical pocket passer which is just another way of saying he can't run worth a lick.

He's played in Mike Riley's pro set offense which means he is used to taking snaps from under center.

He has shown the ability to slide around in the pocket to avoid the pass rush.

He has a tendency to throw off his back foot when he perceives pressure .

He throws into coverage too much because he trust his arm strength too much.

He needs to sit behind a vet under a QB guru for at least 2 yrs and get rid of all the issues he developed over the years due to his reliance on his arm strength.

He's not Kyle Boller.

Archived