Grateful Dead Reunion/Final Concert, 50th Anniversary Three Night Shows

Warfish

Shouldn't this be "The Dead" Farewell tour?

Full Band "living member" Reunion, so no, it's the Grateful Dead as they live today.  Sadly, reincarnating Jerry, still some years off technologically.

They've been pretty good about NOT calling themselves the full name to-date out of respect, and given the purpose of this and the big anniversary (and I give them credit, they're no KISS on this IMO), this is the last time anyone will ever see all four originals Hart, Wier, Kreutz and Lesh play together, I'm ok with it.

Trying to see how I can attend all three shows now.

Bob wier is hysterical....the last great American character in rock and roll

I thought he had health issues?

I have some fond memories of seeing the dead at the garden back in the early 80's and bobby and the midnights at the old felt forum. drinking age in NY was 18 back then. good times! they lost their burst for me in 95

Lots of people excited about this and I'm not sure why, my phone blew up the morning it was announced though..  imo, you can find much better Jerry Impersonator the Trey.. Namely John Kadlecik, otherwise known as Fake Jerry. I get seeing the four remaining members with Hornsby thing, but those dudes are old and outside of Phil, it's been awhile since any of them have put out anything good. Even Trey is a shell of his former self.

I guess it all comes down to nostalgia, but every incarnation of the Dead I've seen post Jerry has seemed empty

Lots of people excited about this and I'm not sure why, my phone blew up the morning it was announced though..  imo, you can find much better Jerry Impersonator the Trey.. Namely John Kadlecik, otherwise known as Fake Jerry. I get seeing the four remaining members with Hornsby thing, but those dudes are old and outside of Phil, it's been awhile since any of them have put out anything good. Even Trey is a shell of his former self.

I guess it all comes down to nostalgia, but every incarnation of the Dead I've seen post Jerry has seemed empty

Well, last time the Originals will play together it sounds like (Wier, Lesh and both Drummers).  Hornsby on keys is great.  Trey is a great guitarist (sadly not much of a singer IMO), but is also beloved by his own legion of fans, and gets to enjoy the "Loved Jerry, now is Jerry" moment of playing with his primary inspiration thing.

The Anniversary (50 years) is pretty amazing as well, surprising to see so many of them still alive tbh.

I think it'll make a nice closure on the whole thing, a kind, sad, fun farewell to something great.

No, it'll not be Jerry-led Dead, and yes, the Jerry-less Dead Shows I caught were all lacking something special (Jerry obv.) I agree.

But to be there, one last time, to lay them down ( :)) into History, why not.  This is why I work my ass off, to be able to say "**** it, I'm going to Chicago to watch the Dead's 50th Ann. Final Shows, cause why the **** not!".

Only trouble is actually getting my paws on tickets.

Why Chicago though? Surprised this isn't in San Fran....or at least shows on both coasts and Chicago...sigh

It's where the last shows with Jerry were.  The same stadium the real Grateful Dead finsihed up at.

Well, last time the Originals will play together it sounds like (Wier, Lesh and both Drummers).  Hornsby on keys is great.  Trey is a great guitarist (sadly not much of a singer IMO), but is also beloved by his own legion of fans, and gets to enjoy the "Loved Jerry, now is Jerry" moment of playing with his primary inspiration thing.

The Anniversary (50 years) is pretty amazing as well, surprising to see so many of them still alive tbh.

I think it'll make a nice closure on the whole thing, a kind, sad, fun farewell to something great.

No, it'll not be Jerry-led Dead, and yes, the Jerry-less Dead Shows I caught were all lacking something special (Jerry obv.) I agree.

But to be there, one last time, to lay them down ( :)) into History, why not.  This is why I work my ass off, to be able to say "**** it, I'm going to Chicago to watch the Dead's 50th Ann. Final Shows, cause why the **** not!".

Only trouble is actually getting my paws on tickets.

Trey's already played with most of them. It's a lot of soft benefits I agree, 50 year anniversary.. last time playing together (maybe)..  My friends are looking to go, i'm on the fence. Hopefully they'll webcast it :)

Trey's already played with most of them. It's a lot of soft benefits I agree, 50 year anniversary.. last time playing together (maybe)..  My friends are looking to go, i'm on the fence. Hopefully they'll webcast it :)

Sadly, I'm a VERY late comer to the Dead (I'm a Floyd Man, hardcore as Floyd Fans come), and too young to have enjoyed either bands real heyday.

Never saw Jerry.

Saw a few post-Jerry shows with my wife (who is the family Deadhead and who has seen Jerry a few times), so I know it's "lacking".  I get it.

Just think a little of the "why the **** do I work so hard if I can;t do something like this once in a while".  I'm been uber into the Dead the last year or so, wife loves them, so it seems like a good fun time, reason to visit Chicago, and a wee bit of late history.

I am sure they'll put out all three nights on CD/iTunes at the very least, so I doubt you'll miss it if you don't go.

But if you can go, why not go?  Thats what I asked myself.

Sadly, I'm a VERY late comer to the Dead (I'm a Floyd Man, hardcore as Floyd Fans come), and too young to have enjoyed either bands real heyday.

Never saw Jerry.

Saw a few post-Jerry shows with my wife (who is the family Deadhead and who has seen Jerry a few times), so I know it's "lacking".  I get it.

Just think a little of the "why the **** do I work so hard if I can;t do something like this once in a while".  I'm been uber into the Dead the last year or so, wife loves them, so it seems like a good fun time, reason to visit Chicago, and a wee bit of late history.

I am sure they'll put out all three nights on CD/iTunes at the very least, so I doubt you'll miss it if you don't go.

But if you can go, why not go?  Thats what I asked myself.

Ahh.. yeah, I saw the dead almost 100 times.. So our perspectives are a bit different. In terms of why I don't go.. I think cause honestly the last few times i've seen some incarnation I've left feeling a little sad. Not really about the quality of the music, but my own lost youth. When I was 16-20 that's what I did.. I went to see the Dead, every vacation I took was based around dead shows, every dollar i had was devoted to touring.  Spring/Summer/Fall like clockwork.. one year i think I saw 35 shows. Some amazing memories.

So to pay all that money and walk away feeling a bit down, just doesn't seem worth it. Rather look towards the future and new things

Archived