Max Scherzer deal with Nationals is 7 years, $210M

Morrissey

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees have inquired about Cole Hamels but are not seriously pursuing the Phillies’ ace left-hander. The Red Sox, Rangers, Padres, and Cardinals are in the mix for Hamels and Rosenthal hears Philadelphia is looking for the “perfect” trade. They want to hit a home run and I don’t blame then. The Yankees are not on the southpaw’s limited no-trade list, by the way. - Via Riveraveblues.com

Stephen Strasburg ‘Very Much Available’ for Trade (Report)

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – Signing a marquee starting pitcher likeicon1.png Max Scherzer brings up a lot of necessary questions for the Washington Nationals.

Many of them have been outlined here, by varying degrees of import, by Dan Steinberg.

The Nationals rotation, as currently constructed — with the expected addition of Scherzer, for a cool $210 million — would look something like this:

*Scherzer, Jordan Zimmermann, Stephen Strasburg, Doug Fister, Gio Gonzalez, Tanner Roark

Major League rosters do not rotate six pitchers, but five, as you’ve probably accurately gathered.

This forges the premise for all other questions provoked by the former Cy Young Award winner’s arrival in Washington, all of which primarily begin with ‘Who’s the odd manicon1.png out?’

If the answer for the Nationals is to keep everyone, and make a run at a Worldicon1.png Series with what would be the undisputed best rotation in baseball, that would likely mean Roark — who had a phenomenal 2014 season, going 15-10 with a 2.85 ERA and 1.092 WHIP — gets bumped to the bullpen.

Maybe the answericon1.png for the Nationals is trading their best pitcher last season, Jordan Zimmermann, whom the team has dangled as trade bait all offseason and is set to become a free agent after the 2015 season.

Both options seem viable, and carry their own long-term implications for Washington’s roster.

One name which has not been floated about much in the offseason rumor mill, though, is that belonging to Stephen Strasburg.

Strasburg was no longer being omitted from the hot stove hysteria as of Sunday night, however, right around the time reports of Scherzer-to-Washington began to surface.

Enter John Perrotto of USA Today, who dropped this bombshell Monday afternoon, after Scherzer and the Nationals had reportedly agreed to terms.

As of now, the validity to such a claim remains unclear, and seems peculiar, given Washington reached a $7.4 million agreement with the 26-year-old, only days ago, to stave off arbitration another year.

If taken at face valueicon1.png, it forces the conversation about Washington extending or dealing Strasburg way up; Strasburg remains under team control through 2016, and is set to hit free agency by 2017.

It does, however, ratchet up the stove another notch for a Nationals offseason full of questions, which, at some point, general managericon1.png Mike Rizzo will be forced to answer.

Count the seconds until Rizzo gets a call from every GM in baseball. Time’s up.

Needless to say, Strasburg would be a get for any contending club in the market for a front-end starter.

In three full seasons since returning from Tommy John surgery, Strasburg is 37-26 with a 3.10 ERA, 1.107 WHIP and 10.2 strikeouts per nine innings, and is coming off a career-high 242 strikeouts in 2014.

You might be right. I still want to see it first, so for now it's a question mark. They're even considering trading Desmond. If they do that Escobar will slide back to SS.

Didn't they recently trade for their SS of the future? No idea how far away this guy is. 

Well I mean....it's real value is less than 210 without all this stuff.

Great move by the Nats. Scherzer is excellent, should hold up relatively well. Better, much better, version of Zimmermann.

I'm curious about these Strasburg rumors.

Well I mean....it's real value is less than 210 without all this stuff.

Great move by the Nats. Scherzer is excellent, should hold up relatively well. Better, much better, version of Zimmermann.

I'm curious about these Strasburg rumors.

The fact that Strasburg is becoming available in trade talks is very, very intriguing. 

Archived