Anyone Think This Guy Makes it to Our Pick in the Second Round?

JetBlue

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doubt it. buzz was very strong for him end of last year. he was under the radar this year and numbers dipped because michigan stunk so badly and QB play was awful. i expect a strong combine may get him back into the bottom of the first. kid is a rare talent.

Doubt it. buzz was very strong for him end of last year. he was under the radar this year and numbers dipped because michigan stunk so badly and QB play was awful. i expect a strong combine may get him back into the bottom of the first. kid is a rare talent.

didnt we take another rare wide recieving talent in the second round one time?

OL or QB Please and thank you

Yeah, I don't advocate taking him. If I was Jets GM I'd basically use all my picks on oline and qbs.

Crazy athlete, but he's basically a souped up Cumberland. Not fast or polished enough to be a high quality WR, and not bulky or massive enough to imagine him becoming a top tier TE.

Totally disagree. This kid is a WR in a TEs body.  He doesn't need elite speed, he has good acceleration and some wiggle.  Plus he plays with power and will overpower most dbs. He will go up and take the ball away; to even mention a scrub like Cumberland is an insult.   He reminds me alot of a slightly bigger version of Terrell Owens who also wasn't known as a blazer but had his share of big gains.   How fast is Brandon Marshall?  As far as polish goes, he is polished enough and with good coaching should only get better.  Imho This kid is going to be a monster; just our luck he winds up with the Pats... :-(

Totally disagree. This kid is a WR in a TEs body.  He doesn't need elite speed, he has good acceleration and some wiggle.  Plus he plays with power and will overpower most dbs. He will go up and take the ball away; to even mention a scrub like Cumberland is an insult.   He reminds me alot of a slightly bigger version ofTerrell Owens who also wasn't known as a blazer but had his share of big gains.   How fast is Brandon Marshall?  As far as polish goes, he is polished enough and will good coaching should only get better.  Imho This kid is going to be a monster; just our luck he winds up with the Pats... :-(

Yeah those are solid points, but his names is Funchess. Its tought ot get behind that. How would I cheer that? I think we should draft someone that we can all make the booing sound for like Kuhn, or doucette, or any of those guys.

Logic.

This thinking is why we have sucked at drafting all these years.  If you can't see the difference between Funchess and Stephon Hill you should take a closer look because they are nothing alike at all.

Also, if a better OL or QB prospect is there when we are picking in the second round I would have no problem drafting one; however, I seriously doubt that will be the case.  

Yeah those are solid points, but his names is Funchess. Its tought ot get behind that. How would I cheer that? I think we should draft someone that we can all make the booing sound for like Kuhn, or doucette, or any of those guys.

Logic.

Now someone is making sense! ;-).  

Logic.

Huge sports pet peeve of mine. "We're not actually booing but his name sounds like it! Tee Hee!!!"

Ugh. 

Funchess is also known for dropping passes. Caught alot out of crap against Michigan State for it.

Totally disagree. This kid is a WR in a TEs body.  He doesn't need elite speed, he has good acceleration and some wiggle.  Plus he plays with power and will overpower most dbs. He will go up and take the ball away; to even mention a scrub like Cumberland is an insult.   He reminds me alot of a slightly bigger version of Terrell Owens who also wasn't known as a blazer but had his share of big gains.   How fast is Brandon Marshall?  As far as polish goes, he is polished enough and with good coaching should only get better.  Imho This kid is going to be a monster; just our luck he winds up with the Pats... :-(

He's 20+ pounds off of being in a TEs body. He's a WR forced to play TE because he's not a very good WR. Cumberland was a blue chip HS WR prospect who moved to TE in college. Comparing him to Owens, one of the handful best WRs in league history, is an actual insult.

This guy is one of the easiest players to root for in this draft, but he's a 3-5th round prospect. Maybe even lower since he needs to make significant gains as a player to be useful in the NFL.

didnt we take another rare wide recieving talent in the second round one time?

According to this logic we wouldn't be able to draft any position.

qb- see sanchez , rb - see Blair thomas , Wr- see hill .. etc.

cmon man gotta trust the new regime until there's reason to doubt them.

Yeah I never understood this kind of thinking.  Then just forfeit the draft already... 

Logic.

hasn't stopped us

Oh I trust. I do really. But given the Decker sigining, potential to retain Harvin, extension on Kerely, and Oswu or whatever going crazy in the last game. For once in 7 years I dont feel sick to my stomach over the WR positon.

Look what Mangold and Brick combo did for us, and how Dem boys did with OL drafting. It really is an important part of the game that I just cant stand not having. Poor O Line play is brutal to watch. We are at a time in the NFL where CBA and pre determined Pay based on draft order can really help build franchises. I think its the best thing to happen to the NFL since the Titans became Jets (joke).

I feel we may have as a fanbase grown slightly complacent with a solid O Line. Lets not let that need run dry and fnd ourselves in serious peril.

Just imagine 4 or 5 ducasse across the line. Now you smell what I'm stepping in?

If we are going with a jumbo receiver in the second round, I like TE Maxx Williams better...He is the best TE in this draft by some margin and would give us a legit 2 TE look we haven't had in forever.

This guy is a WR not TE and will be a match up nightmare for smaller dbs.   If we go TE  we need a TRUE TE; one who can actually block for a change and we should be able to find that in FA or in the later rounds.  Williams looks good but we still have the big TE from NE who is still developing along with Jace Amaro.  

Funchess is also known for dropping passes. Caught alot out of crap against Michigan State for it.

He's 20+ pounds off of being in a TEs body. He's a WR forced to play TE because he's not a very good WR. Cumberland was a blue chip HS WR prospect who moved to TE in college. Comparing him to Owens, one of the handful best WRs in league history, is an actual insult.

This guy is one of the easiest players to root for in this draft, but he's a 3-5th round prospect. Maybe even lower since he needs to make significant gains as a player to be useful in the NFL.

I doubt it; not from the draft reports I have been reading.  I guess we will have to wait until after the combine and work outs.  Cumberland is a scrub and this guy is a stud.  Watching on tape he reminds me of Owens a  little; if you consider that an insult to Owens so be it. I consider it a compliment to Funchess.  If you look at how he plays, his style is very similar to Owens.  He even looks a little like him build wise; how is that an insult??  No one said he would go on to have the career Owens had. 

15917710-large.jpg

There is no evidence anywhere that he is going in the 3 - 5th rounds that I have seen. 

From CBS Sports - Projected 1-2nd

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2001877/devin-funchess

Mel Kiper has him going in the 2nd as well. 

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2014/12/11/michigan-football-devin-funchess/20241599/

Some players don't fit into box we try to fit them in.  He is one of the most intriguing players in this draft and if he goes to the right team he is going to be a star. 

I need to watch more of him to figure it out for myself, but I know some people think his hands are a pretty big issue. Of course on the flip side Kelvin Benjamin had a bunch of drops this past year but was pretty productive and everyone seems to like him. I'd love to draft one of the big WR's in the second round depending on who's available, not sure if he's the one but certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Oh I trust. I do really. But given the Decker sigining, potential to retain Harvin, extension on Kerely, and Oswu or whatever going crazy in the last game. For once in 7 years I dont feel sick to my stomach over the WR positon.

Look what Mangold and Brick combo did for us, and how Dem boys did with OL drafting. It really is an important part of the game that I just cant stand not having. Poor O Line play is brutal to watch. We are at a time in the NFL where CBA and pre determined Pay based on draft order can really help build franchises. I think its the best thing to happen to the NFL since the Titans became Jets (joke).

I feel we may have as a fanbase grown slightly complacent with a solid O Line. Lets not let that need run dry and fnd ourselves in serious peril.

Just imagine 4 or 5 ducasse across the line. Now you smell what I'm stepping in?

I can appreciate where you are coming from but the value has to be there. Why reach for an OL with a 3 or 4th round grade in the 2nd because we NEED an olineman when perhaps there is a player with a first or 2nd round grade on your board who is also available? 

Also, we may get a blue chip Olineman with our first pick depending on how things fall.  If the value is there, I am okay with taking another olineman in the second but I believe this is another banner year for WRs and after we basically whiffed last year, I would like to come away with a blue chip prospect at that position.   Sorry but I am not sold on the Chris Owusus' of the world.  Harvin is always hurt so how could you possibly depend on him?  Kerley is a JAG for cryin out loud.  We need to get Decker some real help on other side.  Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa are unknowns at this time and cannot be depended on to contribute much of anything.  This team NEEDS another receiver AND olineman.

I would take him in the 3rd at most. There are plenty of more talented receivers in this draft. Jalen Strong,Dorial GB, Ty Montgomery, Devante Parker.

With the exception of Montgomery and possibly Green, they probably will all be gone by the time we pick in the second round. 

It's an insult to Owens and over complimenting Funchess. Second round is his ceiling, in which case he's Stephen Hill at TE.

What are you Owens wife or something lol.  Stop it already; we have NO idea what Funchess ceiling is and neither do I. 

BTW for the record, I don't think Parker, White, Strong or Green-Beckham will be available when we pick in the second round and that is why I am not talking about them.  My premise is that Cooper goes to the Raiders and we take either Ray, Gregory or Scherf in the first round.   I think Funchess could and should still be there, but we could definitely debate whether we should go with a Duke Williams,  Ty Montgomery or a Sammie Coates etc.   I really don't see how we could lose with any one of them.  

Archived