Deflate-Gate \ Patriots Cheating Again Thread: MERGED

indygirl4jets

Do you remember what Bachelors 3 was?

Namath associated with the Mafia during and after the Jets Super Bowl season. Im sure nothing happened.

I find it cute how Tex is accusing Jet fans of making conspiracy theories and you have just jumped the shark.  Come on man just stop before I actually really start feeling bad for you.  I like you dude.  We is fatties together.  Please just eat something.  It will be ok. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yankees are only team ever accused of having players use steroids?  REALLY?  Barry Bonds was a Yankee?  OMG sit down eat a doughnut and take a breathe.  Steroids are a sports wide pandemic.  Patriots are in a class of all their own when it come to cheating in football.  You guys are the best at it and nobody will or ever will come close.  

Oh, so everybody else did it makes it OK. Gotcha

Like taping signals.

the big difference being is that Yankee fans are the first ones to discredit ARod and his cheating ways and hate him for trying to tarnish the greatest accomplishment in all of sports. Pats fans on the other hand are defending what their team did and has been doing ever since a mediocre head coach stole a million bucks from a grieving family and took a few million more to go and coach that teams 2nd biggest rival.

^^  Powershot. Can you take it?

I find it cute how Tex is accusing Jet fans of making conspiracy theories and you have just jumped the shark.  Come on man just stop before I actually really start feeling bad for you.  I like you dude.  We is fatties together.  Please just eat something.  It will be ok. 

It happened.

Its the truth.

Namath associated with the Mafia during and after the Jets Super Bowl season. Im sure nothing happened.

THIS right here folks is second only to the "weather affected the balls ONLY on New England's side of the field" for THE furthest reach by a Patriots fan for a defense and/or justification. GJ PR37!! LOL

OK

Why is it that this same logic is not applied to the Yankees 28 Championships?

How far back did the roid use start?

So we are down to "someone else something similar 80/90 years ago?"

C'mon man.

The Patriots found a hole, they derived benefits from exploiting that hole and then they got caught.  Please don't ask us to believe the Ronald Reagan "I have no recollection of that" defense here.

Yes.  Back when the league had credibility, they forced Namath to sell his interest or be banned.  In todays NFL, if the owner kisses the commisioners ass enough, you get away with murder.

Betting is a big part of the NFL's history.  Heck, even Bubba Smith thinks Earl Morrall threw SB III for gambling payola.  

Hoover had a file on Namath.  They bugged his phone, followed him around everywhere.  Can you remember the charges they filed ?

Me neither.

Yet another conspiracy theory by Jets fans.

Wake me up when somebody, anybody, finds some concrete evidence that the Pats tampered with the footballs.

If I entrust my money to a bank and the bank puts that money in their safe, do I have to have pictures of a bank employee taking the money out if it later turns out that the money is missing?  No, the bank is responsible because the bank is responsible.

The Patriots were entrusted with security of those footballs and the footballs were tampered with.  That is the beginning middle and end of the story.

on the most esoteric minutiae of football?

Just this week I've had people tell me all kinds of things about footballs that I never thought of before but the people telling me them were absolutely, 100% sure they were right because it couldn't be any other way. 

I'll admit, my initial response to this (not knowing the rules about how footballs are handled prior to the game) was that playing with the level of inflation would put the road team at a disadvantage because the quarterback would be attempting to throw a ball that wasn't inflated to the level he is accustomed to and that could affect his accuracy. My instinct was completely false. 

But I've had people defend the Pats by claiming the officials would absolutely, unquestionably be able to tell the difference by simply picking the ball up, which is pretty funny in light of Tom Brady claiming he did not notice that the ball was deflated at all (maybe because he always has them deflated to that level?)

The pronouncements that the level of football inflation provides little to no advantage are very reminiscent of Spygate and the claims that the Pats gained no edge from stealing signals. 

Which was a pretty odd defense considering that the person being defended was a football "genius" according to the person doing the defending. Apparently that football "genius" now knew less about football than the person defending him because the football "genius" seemed to think he got an advantage because he did it for close to 10 years according to his own admission. 

I never thought about the inflation levels of footballs prior to Monday morning. I can admit it. I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference between a ball inflated to 10.5 PSI or 25 PSI. I also don't know for sure what impact adding or subtracting air might have. 

All I do know is that its a big enough deal that the NFL feels the need to expressly state in their rules what the proper level of inflation is and that the Patriots' footballs somehow lost air between the time the refs tested them pregame and halftime and the Colts' footballs didn't. Someone in Foxboro is lying. 

You think someone in Foxboro is lying? Say it ain't so. Of freakin course they are lying. It is what the Pats do best. Besides losing SB's.

Yes.  Back when the league had credibility, they forced Namath to sell his interest or be banned.  In todays NFL, if the owner kisses the commisioners ass enough, you get away with murder.

Betting is a big part of the NFL's history.  Heck, even Bubba Smith thinks Earl Morrall threw SB III for gambling payola.  

Hoover had a file on Namath.  They bugged his phone, followed him around everywhere.  Can you remember the charges they filed ?

Me neither.

Damn.  That's a huge can of whoop ass right there.  Well done.

Damn Patriots, there they go cheating again by using the opponents football.

BB should be suspended and the Pats should be docked multiple draft picks.

I admire your stick-to-it-iveness here but the weakness of your arguments is really just evidence of how indefensible this behavior is. 

There will be no smoking gun in this (video or audio tape of Belichick or Brady instructing anyone to tamper with the balls.)

The fact that they have not talked to Brady yet indicates the investigation is still early on (the NFL moves slowly).  Normally things would be find if it was a regular one week between games week but with this two weeks there will be pressure for them to act faster.

Whether anyone fesses up to tampering will depend on the teeth of the investigation (if you are not under oath you can say whatever you want.  The questions asked and it there is any corroborative data such as film of a ball boy tampering.

In the end it will go down like this, some ball boy or equipment guy will admit to tampering with the balls.  He will make it clear he did it on his own and was NEVER told to do so by anyone in the org.  When asked why he tampered with them he will say something long the lines of "One day at practice i over heard Tom say he much preferred a ball that was softer, probably by about two pounds, he just said it felt better in his hands and wished the NFL did not have such stringent dumb rules.  So I decided to start deflating them by a few pounds, I never thought it was going to be a big deal."

That will be the extent of it, however this shows that the organization has built in a culture from top to bottom of bending the rules to the breaking point if not breaking them whenever they can to gain an advantage.  Goodell, having painted himself into a corner with the New Orleans ruling will act in the off season.  the Pats will lose a draft pick, be fined a large amount (over a million) and Belichick will be suspended for 4 games or so to start the new year.

In any case, regardless of actual punishment the franchise had gone to the point of totally sullying their long term image and legacy.  Will the actual fans of the Pats care?  Nope.  But years down the road this team will not be talked of fondly like other championship era teams.

the cover up is always worse.  

they should have admitted to it, and said everybody does it and it's no big deal

you know, like spygate

They already used that excuse with Spygate, except that not everybody did it. They cant use the same excuse again, they are the only team busted for spygate and this. 

There will be no smoking gun in this (video or audio tape of Belichick or Brady instructing anyone to tamper with the balls.)

The fact that they have not talked to Brady yet indicates the investigation is still early on (the NFL moves slowly).  Normally things would be find if it was a regular one week between games week but with this two weeks there will be pressure for them to act faster.

Whether anyone fesses up to tampering will depend on the teeth of the investigation (if you are not under oath you can say whatever you want.  The questions asked and it there is any corroborative data such as film of a ball boy tampering.

In the end it will go down like this, some ball boy or equipment guy will admit to tampering with the balls.  He will make it clear he did it on his own and was NEVER told to do so by anyone in the org.  When asked why he tampered with them he will say something long the lines of "One day at practice i over heard Tom say he much preferred a ball that was softer, probably by about two pounds, he just said it felt better in his hands and wished the NFL did not have such stringent dumb rules.  So I decided to start deflating them by a few pounds, I never thought it was going to be a big deal."

That will be the extent of it, however this shows that the organization has built in a culture from top to bottom of bending the rules to the breaking point if not breaking them whenever they can to gain an advantage.  Goodell, having painted himself into a corner with the New Orleans ruling will act in the off season.  the Pats will lose a draft pick, be fined a large amount (over a million) and Belichick will be suspended for 4 games or so to start the new year.

In any case, regardless of actual punishment the franchise had gone to the point of totally sullying their long term image and legacy.  Will the actual fans of the Pats care?  Nope.  But years down the road this team will not be talked of fondly like other championship era teams.

I think the NFL are actually trial-ballooning this idea right now... no proof no real punishment.  I do not think that will fly.  I think most of the world outside New England believes they got off far too lightly the first time and now is the time to prove the NFL has some backbone.  Goodell has shown nothing if not the ability to do a complete 180 turn in the face of public opinion.  I think this does not bode well for the Pats.

I think the major news organizations are currently checking the fumbling statistics in order to be 100% sure about that part of this story.  Once the statistical analysis is confirmed then this moves from some ex-jocks saying that the story of BB and Brady does no pass the smell test into a world where mathematicians are saying that Patriots fumbling outcomes are a mathematical impossibility without help.

Without exactly the kinds of help that come from doctoring the footballs.

Archived