Jets Showing Early Interest In Phillip Dorsett, WR "The U"

Villain The Foe

Draft News: Jets Showing Early Interest In Phillip Dorsett, WR

By David_Wyatt  @DavidWyattNFL on Jan 21 2015, 11:34a 86 

usa-today-8235928.0.jpg
Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

It's far too early to read anything into who we're talking to, but apparently the Jets dedicated a lot of time at the Senior Bowl, talking to speedy wide receiver Phillip Dorestt. 

According to Tony Pauline, the New York Jets spent a considerable amount of time yesterday speaking to Phillip Dorsett of Miami:

Dorsett is on my list of prospects to cover, and I may bring him forward after hearing the above. He finished the year with 36 receptions for 871 yards and 10 touchdowns.

To say that Phillip Dorsett is fast would be an understatement. The guy was timed at 4.2 in the 40 yard dash, and he looks every bit as fast as that would suggest. Once known as a dropper, he won the off-season program and thendominated this summer. At one point this year he was averaging over 34 yards a catch. Drops have diminished and his leadership has been praised.

We have a problem with game breaking plays. Dorsett fits the mould as a player who could break the game open. He's also a very dangerous man when he has the ball in his hands, a perfect player for Chan Gailey to kick start his offense.

We'll have more information in our scouting report of Dorsett later this month.

Late rounds maybe. Im not too high on anyone who was once known as a "dropper". Devin Smith from Ohio St. has solid hands. Not sure if he's running a 4.2, but he constantly gets behind the defense and his hands are unquestioned. 

This Dorsett guy is smooth though. If he's shown that his hands are solid he's a pick up. 

That's crazy if he really was timed at 4.2, however, I think more than anything we need a big strong guy to compliment Decker and Harvin. Obviously Harvin coming back is still up in the air, but if he does I'd rather the Jets take a more Red Zone friendly WR.

That's crazy if he really was timed at 4.2, however, I think more than anything we need a big strong guy to compliment Decker and Harvin. Obviously Harvin coming back is still up in the air, but if he does I'd rather the Jets take a more Red Zone friendly WR.

I think Decker "is" our big strong guy. Decker's 6'3, 215 lbs. Remember we also have Jace Amaro 6'5 260. We need shifty guys that can create in space. Harvin can do that, Kerley his quick but not really fast. A guy like this in space is dangerous, especially if the first guy misses. 

I think Decker "is" our big strong guy. Decker's 6'3, 215 lbs. Remember we also have Jace Amaro 6'5 260. We need shifty guys that can create in space. Harvin can do that, Kerley his quick but not really fast. A guy like this in space is dangerous, especially if the first guy misses.

No doubt you need a guy who can stretch the defense, Decker is actually a good deep threat in his own right but there needs to be someone else to take away the focus on him. This team is still lacking a speed guy and another bigger outside compliment to Decker, especially in the redzone.

I kind of view Decker as a jack of all trades, master of none. He can get deep a little, win some in contested situations, be a possession guy, make a little happen after the catch...he's not elite at anything but just a solid overall WR. Kerley is obviously a slot, I think a big guy who can win jump balls could a. make plays downfield and b. help in the red zone. Harvin obviously brings the YAC.

That said, I'm not sure Gailey's offense will really feature a jumbo guy. So we may end up looking for the shifty guys who can create in space anyway.

No doubt you need a guy who can stretch the defense, Decker is actually a good deep threat in his own right but there needs to be someone else to take away the focus on him. This team is still lacking a speed guy and another bigger outside compliment to Decker, especially in the redzone.

Dorsett I'm assuming the Jets can consider as the speed guy. The reason why I like Devin Smith is because he's also a speed guy but has great hands. I you're in the redzone and have Decker on one side and Amaro on the next with Harvin in the slot, Spiller in the backfield and another WR that can create in space that would be killer. 

I kind of view Decker as a jack of all trades, master of none. He can get deep a little, win some in contested situations, be a possession guy, make a little happen after the catch...he's not elite at anything but just a solid overall WR. Kerley is obviously a slot, I think a big guy who can win jump balls could a. make plays downfield and b. help in the red zone. Harvin obviously brings the YAC.

That said, I'm not sure Gailey's offense will really feature a jumbo guy. So we may end up looking for the shifty guys who can create in space anyway.

JACE AMARO. 

JACE AMARO. 

I think Amaro's a short to intermediate guy, don't see a downfield threat. Wasn't really his M.O. in college and I don't think he'll end up doing it in the pro's either. It's fine, important role, but I think the Jets could use a guy who can win jump balls down the sideline.

Dorsett I'm assuming the Jets can consider as the speed guy. The reason why I like Devin Smith is because he's also a speed guy but has great hands. I you're in the redzone and have Decker on one side and Amaro on the next with Harvin in the slot, Spiller in the backfield and another WR that can create in space that would be killer.

I'm not a fan of keeping Harvin.

I think Amaro's a short to intermediate guy, don't see a downfield threat. Wasn't really his M.O. in college and I don't think he'll end up doing it in the pro's either. It's fine, important role, but I think the Jets could use a guy who can win jump balls down the sideline.

You dont need every quality in one guy. 

Tall guy, downfield threat, speedster, redzone guy etc. 

Percy Harvin is a downfield threat. he's a 4.40 40 guy. 

Amaro could be our redzone guy 6'5 TE  (jump balls)

Decker our possession guy and our redzone guy 6'3

Decker our slot guy

We can get another speed guy 

We can get another WR who can specialize in certain things, but its not like there's a Calvin Johnson in the draft. I know some believe Dorial Beckham could be, but dude is looking like a straight up criminal and I wouldnt take the chance. 

Maybe Amaro takes a big step forward this offseason which is entirely possible, the guy has all the tools, but I feel like Decker is more of a possession receiver despite his size. I rarely saw him use his physical tools to get open, he instead, relied more on his excellent route running to create space and get open. I understand the need for faster wide receivers, but we're giving away a lot of height if we take another 5'10" wide receiver, especially if we keep Harvin. I guess I could find myself getting behind the Jets taking a shorter but explosive wide receiver to pair with Harvin, but I guess I more or less I either want the complete package (true #1) or a group that when together creates that full package, (fast, deep threat, tall, strong, great hands and route running).

You guys will laugh, but Shaq Evans is gonna be the bigger outside compliment to Decker.Trust me.

I'm not a fan of keeping Harvin.

Okay. We can draft Devin Smith from Ohio State. He's taller than Harvin and he runs a 4.32 40 time and not a 4.41 40 that Harvin ran. Devin Smith was highly under utilized in Ohio. Smith is considered to have the best Vertical route runner in college football and he really turned it on when Cardale Jones started at QB because he had the arm to take advantage of Smith's speed and hands.  

My only thing is that his run blocking looks pretty poor. If we are running a spread all of the WR's are going to have to be respectable blockers. 

Maybe Amaro takes a big step forward this offseason which is entirely possible, the guy has all the tools, but I feel like Decker is more of a possession receiver despite his size. I rarely saw him use his physical tools to get open, he instead, relied more on his excellent route running to create space and get open. I understand the need for faster wide receivers, but we're giving away a lot of height if we take another 5'10" wide receiver, especially if we keep Harvin. I guess I could find myself getting behind the Jets taking a shorter but explosive wide receiver to pair with Harvin, but I guess I more or less I either want the complete package (true #1) or a group that when together creates that full package, (fast, deep threat, tall, strong, great hands and route running).

Decker is exactly that. He's a "possession" receiver. I dont expect to eat up yards with Decker but I expect him to win battles and be consistent with receptions. 

Okay. We can draft Devin Smith from Ohio State. He's taller than Harvin and he runs a 4.32 40 time and not a 4.41 40 that Harvin ran. Devin Smith was highly under utilized in Ohio. Smith is considered to have the best Vertical route runner in college football and he really turned it on when Cardale Jones started at QB because he had the arm to take advantage of Smith's speed and hands.  

My only thing is that his run blocking looks pretty poor. If we are running a spread all of the WR's are going to have to be respectable blockers.

I guess it will depend on where Smith will go in the draft. I wouldnt touch him earlier than the 5th round.

I guess it will depend on where Smith will go in the draft. I wouldnt touch him earlier than the 5th round.

You're out of your mind right now. 

He's a 2nd to 3rd round talent and is in the top 15 best WR's coming out of college. He's a deep threat and is considered to be the best deep threat in college and has consistent hands. He's also a pretty good route runner. 

You dont need every quality in one guy. 

Tall guy, downfield threat, speedster, redzone guy etc. 

Percy Harvin is a downfield threat. he's a 4.40 40 guy. 

Amaro could be our redzone guy 6'5 TE  (jump balls)

Decker our possession guy and our redzone guy 6'3

Decker our slot guy

We can get another speed guy 

We can get another WR who can specialize in certain things, but its not like there's a Calvin Johnson in the draft. I know some believe Dorial Beckham could be, but dude is looking like a straight up criminal and I wouldnt take the chance. 

I think you're misinterpreting me, not sure how you got me wanting "every quality in one guy" from "guy who can win jump balls down the sideline". What I'm saying is the Jets could use a wide receiver who can play outside win jump balls in downfield situations. Harvin's too small to do that, Amaro works short and intermediate routes, Decker's more of an on the ground receiver.

I'm well aware there's no Calvin Johnson in this draft.

You're out of your mind right now. 

He's a 2nd to 3rd round talent and is in the top 15 best WR's coming out of college. He's a deep threat and is considered to be the best deep threat in college and has consistent hands. He's also a pretty good route runner.

Not a big fan of him, I would take Justin Hardy over Smith in a heartbeat in the second or third round. Hardy is a much better all around receiver.

Not a big fan of him, I would take Justin Hardy over Smith in a heartbeat in the second or third round. Hardy is a much better all around receiver.

Hardy is a pretty good receiver and it wouldnt be a bad idea to take him. But in regards to what is needed on this team, Hardy doesnt fit that bill especially if people are not fans of resigning Harvin. 

I think you're misinterpreting me, not sure how you got me wanting "every quality in one guy" from "guy who can win jump balls down the sideline". What I'm saying is the Jets could use a wide receiver who can play outside win jump balls in downfield situations. Harvin's too small to do that, Amaro works short and intermediate routes, Decker's more of an on the ground receiver.

I'm well aware there's no Calvin Johnson in this draft.

Im not misinterpreting, its that I said the first time Eric Decker and Jace Amaro. You're making excuses for why they can't do it, though I've seen them do it. Eric Decker in between the 20's and Amaro along with Decker in the redzone. Your belief that Decker is no more than a ground receiver doesnt change the fact that he's more than that. 

If we get another wideout who can do this then fine, but I believe that we need some  more speed on this team because if Harvin goes down the fastest guy we have is Eric Decker and if we're going to implement a spread concept one of the things you'll need is speed. I'd rather get a speed guy with body control and hands over another Eric Decker.

Archived