Integrity and Spirit of the Game

SouthernJet

You are right.  Won't happen.  Goodell is the same guy who burned the spygate evidence.  Bellicheat will probably be punished by being forced to  wear sleeves on his sweatshirt for the next couple season.  Thata teach him!!!

You bring up a good point. Bellichick is forced to wear team gear on sideline and he can't even resist flouting the spirit of that simple rule. He is compulsive with breaking/bending rules.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or he could be a pathological liar

That's part of it.  he's a sociopath, plain and simple.  The rules don't apply to him when they stand in the way of getting what he wants.  They WILL apply when they are to his advantage.

I don't know how the league can continue to accept his behavior when they're trying to show that they want to clean up other areas.  (Yes, DV is a whole different level of crime than breaking rules of sporting competition, but the underlying condition is a disregard for "the system" - a true effort to clean the league up will cover all areas of infraction.)

Did they mark that one ball so they would make sure they handed the right one to the ref for inspection?  LOL

of course,,scuffed it in normal spot they have been Bradys whole career, fingernail removing some gold leaf on a word on ball  or dirt on a certain lace,,ez pz

You bring up a good point. Bellichick is forced to wear team gear on sideline and he can't even resist flouting the spirit of that simple rule. He is compulsive with breaking/bending rules.

Nixon Syndrome. paranoid no matter what looking for edge. Nixon was gonna win 45-49 states in 1972 election yet he still bugged Democratic HQ LOL

Jerry....I don't know you , and you are probably a great guy like most on this site. But if you truly are "a bit envious of Mr.Kraft's desire to win", then you have my deepest sympathies.

Not envious of his desire to cheat.  Only of his desire to win despite (proportional to his overall wealth) financial incentives to do so.

100 grand fine for Belli. 500 grand for team

That's all it will be.

and they give up their 1st rounder and get our 2nd from the bogus tampering charge. NFL can say "see we punished them they lost a first round pick!" while barely punishing them at all as they get back a pick at the top of the second. Maybe I'm too cynical but that's how I see it playing out.

Nothing that drastic or permanent.  Too much of a mark of failure on the league, I say put him in an elevator with Ray Rice for a few hours and call it a day.

Between Rice, Peterson and the Saints, Goodell and the NFL are going to be very leery of longterm bans. 

Interesting segment on SC this morning.  I think it was Jerome Bettis and Mark Brunell doing a blind test on three balls.  Both identified the under-pressure ball right away and both said it is a "huge advantage".  Bettis in terms of tucking it away and defenders not being able to strip it out and Brunell in terms of the grip being able to improve the accuracy of throws.  Better grip better throw period.

Does anyone believe they rolled out this tactic for the first time in the AFCCG?

Or perhaps they did it every week and every single close game win is now suspect.

would;t it be hysterical to discover that the ever accurate Brady has been throwing deflated balls for a decade or so?

Here we go again with Belichick and Pats.

The Spirit of Game is get a advantage through XsOs. I had ZERO issue with offensive formation vs Ravens. It was legal and Belichick knew it would probably confuse Ravens AND refs. But it was legal and a XsOs masterstroke.

But..........

Spying / taping teams walkthrus and signals, deflating YOUR balls for advantage etc etc is where it becomes illegal and a potential ruination of game.

Sad thing is it creates a fandom where they say 'Oh you are jealous, we are just shrewder, smarter than you'. Thats the danger, a future fandom that thinks skirting rules and 'if you get away with it its OK' is their new Fan Mantra.

It's time Mr. Kraft (or NFL if Kraft found complicent).

Belichick should and needs to be fired or given the opportunity to resign for the future integrity of the game and it's fans.

A year suspension seems too soft since repeat offender. He is smart coach, just not good for the 'future morals' of the game.

I Kraft fires Belichick, another team will hire him, so I am not sure in the end what that really acomplishes.  If the deflated balls are determined to be an act of intent to gain a competitive advantage, then a more severe sanction against Mr. Belichick and the Patriots is necessary. 

The should have to forfiet the game.  Belichick gets an indefinte ban from the sport.  And the Patriots must lose draft picks at least the first two, (I would say three) rounds of picks for three consecutive years.

Jerry....I don't know you , and you are probably a great guy like most on this site. But if you truly are "a bit envious of Mr.Kraft's desire to win", then you have my deepest sympathies.

Thank you!!

I have been a Jets fan since 1969 and I don't want to see my team cheating to WIN!!!!

I am beginning to dislike the game I have loved for over 4 Decades!!! And it is making me sick...

No, my guess is the ball boy did exactly what he was told. Keep one inflated correcty in case the zebras are on to us so we can show them that one and say “hey look, this one’s fine”.

Wow...

I didn't think of this!!

Hmm are you sure that you are not a Pat employee!!

Interesting segment on SC this morning.  I think it was Jerome Bettis and Mark Brunell doing a blind test on three balls.  Both identified the under-pressure ball right away and both said it is a "huge advantage".  Bettis in terms of tucking it away and defenders not being able to strip it out and Brunell in terms of the grip being able to improve the accuracy of throws.  Better grip better throw period.

Does anyone believe they rolled out this tactic for the first time in the AFCCG?

Or perhaps they did it every week and every single close game win is now suspect.

Here is the link to what you were talking about..

Even the players were shocked about how much the deflation impacted the football 

Watch:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12205404&categoryid=5595394

would;t it be hysterical to discover that the ever accurate Brady has been throwing deflated balls for a decade or so?

I think that the truth that is has been going on for over a decade!!!!!

Anyone who thinks that the Pats did this for the Colts game alone is INSANE!!!

The Pats are a venal organization with regards to the rules.

Here we go again with Belichick and Pats.

The Spirit of Game is get a advantage through XsOs. I had ZERO issue with offensive formation vs Ravens. It was legal and Belichick knew it would probably confuse Ravens AND refs. But it was legal and a XsOs masterstroke.

But..........

Spying / taping teams walkthrus and signals, deflating YOUR balls for advantage etc etc is where it becomes illegal and a potential ruination of game.

Sad thing is it creates a fandom where they say 'Oh you are jealous, we are just shrewder, smarter than you'. Thats the danger, a future fandom that thinks skirting rules and 'if you get away with it its OK' is their new Fan Mantra.

It's time Mr. Kraft (or NFL if Kraft found complicent).

Belichick should and needs to be fired or given the opportunity to resign for the future integrity of the game and it's fans.

A year suspension seems too soft since repeat offender. He is smart coach, just not good for the 'future morals' of the game.

I like you SJ but please don't state that the Pats taped the Rams walk-thru. Never happened. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2008/05/apology

Did the Pats have a guy on the sidelines with a camera filming the Jets defensive signals in Week 1, 2007? They sure did and Mangini told the NFL about it (Good for him BTW). That's called gamesmanship.

Did Tom Brady throw and hand-off footballs below the 12.5 PSI threshold last week. He sure did.

What annoys me about this entire thing is that the NFL hasn't even talked to Brady yet. That is ridiculous.

I like you SJ but please don't state that the Pats taped the Rams walk-thru. Never happened. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2008/05/apology

Did the Pats have a guy on the sidelines with a camera filming the Jets defensive signals in Week 1, 2007? They sure did and Mangini told the NFL about it (Good for him BTW). That's called gamesmanship.

Did Tom Brady throw and hand-off footballs below the 12.5 PSI threshold last week. He sure did.

What annoys me about this entire thing is that the NFL hasn't even talked to Brady yet. That is ridiculous.

We can also assume Cindy has always been playing with a deflated ball, his preference as stated by him

We can also assume Cindy has always been playing with a deflated ball, his preference as stated by him

I have no problem with that. Aaron Rodgers likes an overinflated ball, his preference as stated by him.

Each team has their own footballs in the NFL. That is something I will never understand. In every other code of football I follow, Aussie Rules, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Soccer. Both teams use the same ball(s).

The NFL is freaking weird.

I have no problem with that. Aaron Rodgers likes an overinflated ball, his preference as stated by him.

Each team has their own footballs in the NFL. That is something I will never understand. In every other code of football I follow, Aussie Rules, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Soccer. Both teams use the same ball(s).

The NFL is freaking weird.

Overinflated ball is not an advantage to either Wr's or RB's carrying ball, Underinflated is an advantage for sure

Now IF Rodgers had ball at 13.75  instead of 13.5  less than a 2% difference, meanwhile tommy is using a deflated ball which is

16% lower that minimum or 22% from suggested 13.5 ....huge difference, Rodgers I would say no difference

So they had a one in eleven chance of getting away with it?  wow that theory sucks. 

That's not  correct all 12 balls reported under pressure limits , its just that 11 were more than 2 PSI under. So its not like they even tried to keep 1 legal, they probably just messed up one deflating.

Overinflated ball is not an advantage to either Wr's or RB's carrying ball, Underinflated is an advantage for sure

Now IF Rodgers had ball at 13.75  instead of 13.5  less than a 2% difference, meanwhile tommy is using a deflated ball which is

16% lower that minimum or 22% from suggested 13.5 ....huge difference, Rodgers I would say no difference

C'mon mate you are better than that. If Rodgers wants his footballs inflated to 13.75 then he is a CHEATER according to your logic. Underinflated balls=bad. Overinflated balls=OK?

The NFL rules state that the footballs need to be 12.5 and 13.5 PSI.

Archived