Draft News: Jets Showing Interest In QB Bryce Petty

Villain The Foe

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/22/7871193/draft-news-jets-showing-interest-in-qb-bryce-petty

Draft News: Jets Showing Interest In QB Bryce Petty

By David_Wyatt  @DavidWyattNFL on Jan 22 2015, 9:34a 13 

usa-today-8340241.0.jpg
John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Yesterday we had some news regarding some early interest in a Miami receiver, today we stay on offense with a Quarterback. 

The Senior Bowl gives teams a chance to get an initial feel for a prospect. How they stack up against competition that is their equal. Teams will talk with a lot of prospects, but a lot of teams with key in on a few specific players they are trying to get a dossier of information on. Either they have questions they want answered or they want to build as strong a case as possible when presenting their recommendation to the general manager and head coach.

You can never read too much into the Senior Bowl, but having spoken to scouts, there is some significance in who the team spends a lot of time with. According to a report by Ben Bolton who covers high school sports in Auburn and Alabama, the Jets took the time to have a good sit down with QB prospect Bryce Petty:

The former Baylor star ended the 2014 season with 3855 yards, 29 touchdowns to 7 interceptions. It was his second year starting after impressing in 2013 to the tune of 4200 yards 32 touchdowns to 3 interceptions.

The scouting report on Petty? He's smaller than you'd like and his release is low, that's worrying. He takes his snaps from the shotgun and technically he'll need to do a lot to get ready for the next level. His feet and mechanics are inconsistent and his accuracy can suffer, especially when throwing downfield. However if he gets into a tempo he can really move an offense, he has good pocket awareness and does work through reads when his pre-snap option isn't available.

He has been a little disappointing so far at the senior bowl, reportedly suffering with accuracy issues and timing. However don't be too down on him, a lot of players have struggled at the Senior Bowl, including a recent Superbowl winner in Russell Wilson.

Interesting, I was unimpressed after watching him live when we (WVU) beat Baylor (albeit he was running for his life), but I remember being very impressed in 2013. Wouldn't mind taking him the mid rounds to compete for the starting job this summer.

Personally, I think the kid is hot garbage, but I guess we'll see. Having a new GM and scouting team shakes everything up, so it's hard for me to be as certain as this than I have been in the past, but from following the senior bowl and draft for years now the one thing that I've learned is that players in which we've shown interest in are hardly every drafted by us, but more often than not the positions we pay attention to are drafted. Which is not surprising given the state of our team's quarterback situation.

Interesting, I was unimpressed after watching him live when we (WVU) beat Baylor (albeit he was running for his life), but I remember being very impressed in 2013. Wouldn't mind taking him the mid rounds to compete for the starting job this summer.

I do not like college football much because of all these dopey systems they run.  Hard to evaluate a QB.  Can he throw?  Is he reasonable accurate?  Can he take the hits?  Everything else is a crapshoot.

I watched the Senior Bowl yesterday and to be honest, I wasnt impressed. 

No.  They were blah.  I think Petty has arm strength.  But he is, like, starting from Square One, coming out of that Baylor offense.  And I remember reading something to the effect that his system really does not require him to lead receivers. That sounded crazy to me, but if true, that is just something else he has to familiarize himself with.  I mean, he missed an open guy in the end zone yesterday by 10 yards.  Mannion looks like a robot.  Bennett an interception machine in college.  I saw Carden in his bowl game---bleah.  Did not see much of Grayson. College is so different from the pros.  It makes me respect the skill involved in drafting even more.

I do not like college football much because of all these dopey systems they run.  Hard to evaluate a QB.  Can he throw?  Is he reasonable accurate?  Can he take the hits?  Everything else is a crapshoot.

He doesn't handle pressure well at all, he's got a really nice arm, accuracy is mediocre at best

Unless we're talking late picks, I hope we stay away from the second tier of QBs in this class.  From the games I've seen, all of them seem horrible.  I'd rather try to find some diamond in the rough WR or RB in the late round than take anyway of these guys.   

Sounds like a scouting report on Geno. :winking0001:

That is what I was thinking with this part:

He takes his snaps from the shotgun and technically he'll need to do a lot to get ready for the next level. His feet and mechanics are inconsistent and his accuracy can suffer, especially when throwing downfield. However if he gets into a tempo he can really move an offense

Not the short or low release part, though.

That is what I was thinking with this part:

Not the short or low release part, though.

I think Geno's deep throw accuracy is one of the best facets of his game both in the NFL and the collegiate level. Petty's deep throw accuracy wasn't good in college

I hope the Jets took a long look at Petty, first and foremost to gauge the kids mental acuity...get a feel for how he processes information and makes decisions. I don't get why this is not the FIRST thing any team looks at before drafting a prospective NFL QB.

Having an 'NFL' arm is great, but without the mental capacity to make quick and vital decisions based on rational information processing under pressure means the NFL arm is likely to be pointless.

Intelligence should be the first attribute looked at...and I don't mean having a high IQ...but an ability to recognize patterns and information and make a correct decision most of the time.

I think Geno's deep throw accuracy is one of the best facets of his game both in the NFL and the collegiate level. Petty's deep throw accuracy wasn't good in college

Yeah, I agree with that.  I didn't cut it out of the part of the report I quoted because both the shotgun, inconsistent mechanics, accurary and tempo portions reminded me of Geno.  I probably should have quoted it like this:

He takes his snaps from the shotgun and technically he'll need to do a lot to get ready for the next level. His feet and mechanics are inconsistent and his accuracy can suffer... However if he gets into a tempo he can really move an offense 

Archived