Boycott the SuperBowl

Integrity28

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to send a message that we hate what Roger Goodell is doing to a sport-THE LAST sport left, that a lot of us still even just watch.

Goodell has definitely ruined the sport. The NFL to me now means:

No Fun League

National Pansy League

National Cheaters League

I think you're missing my point. I'm not under some delusion that if JN posters all boycott the SB that it'll make a difference. However, if you know anything about how grassroots movements work, if this IDEA were to be carried to all of our respective network connections, and then all of theirs, and so on... it's feasible that a point could be made.

The problem with this country, amongst many, is that it's more important to people not to tune out for 3 hours than it is to stand for something.

I love football. That's what I stand for. I don't need to make self righteous "stands" against things that no one else gives a sh*t about in order to help myself sleep better at night. How liberal a concept.

I love football. That's what I stand for. I don't need to make self righteous "stands" against things that no one else gives a sh*t about in order to help myself sleep better at night. How liberal a concept.

I also love football. However, I stand for doing the right thing. There's nothing self-righteous about exploring the idea of reminding the people entrusted with the integrity of the game, that integrity matters. 

I'm not sure why you're reacting to this discussion as a personal affront, or making comments about it being "liberal". I'm more pragmatic in how I look at it, to me it's the same premise as any consumer backlash to a brand that compromises on their product integrity. 

Seriously.

If insufficient discipline is in place in time for the game. Don't tune in.

It's the least entertaining game of the football season for real football fans anyway, and this whole Patriots thing can serve as the catalyst for a boycott that allows fans to take part of the game back. Roger Goodell's NFL has been all about the owners, but not all owners, the ones that help him politically. 

Not about the fans.

The only way to truly see this change is to hit the NFL goliath where it hurts, in the advertising dollars. Boycotting the SuperBowl would effectively hurt ratings, and in turn advertising dollars. It could actually make a difference.

Your 100% right, a successful boycott would be effective.  I'm also 100% sure a boycott isn't going to happen.  Not this year at least

It is only  a game- much more important things to protest about and yes I hate brady and Belichick

Meh, I think you guys are reading far more into the suggestion or my intent at raising it as a discussion here. This is a Jets fan website, if I was trying to ignite a protest or movement this would be the last place that I'd start. I posed the idea of a boycott, because I wanted to see if all the talk about how the "evil empire is going down" and "karma" and other such reveling in this scandal translated to action. I wanted to see if people would be willing to let go of the NFL product, or if most of the talk is cheap. Basically, I wanted to truth-check the sentiment here.

No big deal, it's just a different angle for discussing the same stuff.

This is ridiculous.  Some baseless accusations are made of Brady and Belichick and we're supposed to boycott the Super Bowl?

Maybe we should watch the Pooper Bowl next year when the winless Jets face the winless Bills

Baseless?  Speaking of ridiculous that's it.

Lets see.  It is proven that an hour before the game started the balls were fine.  At half time they had lost 2 pounds.  Only the Pats balls though, so any atmosphere  abnormalities are out.  The only people that had access to the balls was Brady, and the Pats equipment people. 

Can't imagine who would do such a thing.  Real mystery.   

I also love football. However, I stand for doing the right thing. There's nothing self-righteous about exploring the idea of reminding the people entrusted with the integrity of the game, that integrity matters. 

I'm not sure why you're reacting to this discussion as a personal affront, or making comments about it being "liberal". I'm more pragmatic in how I look at it, to me it's the same premise as any consumer backlash to a brand that compromises on their product integrity. 

My point is that it's not going to remind them of anything. It's utterly pointless. It's depriving yourself of seeing a team you hate get their just deserts on the basis of making a stand when you don't have any legs.

It's "liberal" because it's stupid, pointless, and affects nothing. Isn't that the dictionary definition of the term?

My point is that it's not going to remind them of anything. It's utterly pointless. It's depriving yourself of seeing a team you hate get their just deserts on the basis of making a stand when you don't have any legs.

It's "liberal" because it's stupid, pointless, and affects nothing. Isn't that the dictionary definition of the term?

Well, it's nice that you weighed in with an opinion. I'd think someone calling themselves "the troll" could have done it without coming unhinged.

The ratings reports will show a huge dip, it will absolutely impact ad sales for the following years. It'll hurt them, make no mistake.

What, are you crazy.

Seahawks going for 2 in a row versus the most hated team in the NFL, especially with the illusion of Deflategate?

The ratings will be the highest in the history of the Super Bowl.

Well, it's nice that you weighed in with an opinion. I'd think someone calling themselves "the troll" could have done it without coming unhinged.

If I were unhinged, it would be unmistakable. Like, I'd PM you telling you to meet me at the dumpster behind Denny's in an hour to settle this. Just saying, this is not in the fan's hands. You aren't going to grassroots organize anything that would even put a dent in the NFL's wallet. And the bad press they are getting about this at the absolute worst possible time is going to be enough to cause them to drop the hammer, IMO.

What, are you crazy.

Seahawks going for 2 in a row versus the most hated team in the NFL, especially with the illusion of Deflategate?

The ratings will be the highest in the history of the Super Bowl.

One could argue that my suggestion was the dumbest thing said on this site this week, unfortunately you've been posting all week. So there's that... 

If I were unhinged, it would be unmistakable. Like, I'd PM you telling you to meet me at the dumpster behind Denny's in an hour to settle this. Just saying, this is not in the fan's hands. You aren't going to grassroots organize anything that would even put a dent in the NFL's wallet. And the bad press they are getting about this at the absolute worst possible time is going to be enough to cause them to drop the hammer, IMO.

But I was going to grassroots. I was.

But I was going to grassroots. I was.

The best way to show the owners you are tired of this BS, is to have a walk out at the Superbowl.  During their biggest show, a section walks out of the stadium at the same time.   That would be a spectacle.

Not watching the game or buying a product with Superbowl.

A KC Royals radio personality did that 10-15 years ago for one of their games.  They were protesting a strike or the threat of one.  While I do not exactly remember the impact of it, it did lead on ESPN and the guy that led it got on ESPN to talk about the issue.

Golf is another strange sport re: balls (lol).

Anyone can use whatever ball they want. Seems a bit ridiculous. 

there are some standards to compression, but yes there are many available types to the pros.  A huge majority use titleist.  

In that sport integrity is sacred, nobody would use a ball with an unfair advantage that didn't fully comply with the rules.

Do you believe Bill Belichick and Tom Brady when they say they do not know how the Patriots' footballs got deflated in the AFC title game?

•  
    42%
    Yes
  •  
    58%
    No

(Total votes: 109,020)

+

Funny.  NE people believe them, everyone else everywhere else know they are lying.

Seriously.

If insufficient discipline is in place in time for the game. Don't tune in.

It's the least entertaining game of the football season for real football fans anyway, and this whole Patriots thing can serve as the catalyst for a boycott that allows fans to take part of the game back. Roger Goodell's NFL has been all about the owners, but not all owners, the ones that help him politically. 

Not about the fans.

The only way to truly see this change is to hit the NFL goliath where it hurts, in the advertising dollars. Boycotting the SuperBowl would effectively hurt ratings, and in turn advertising dollars. It could actually make a difference.

I agree.  If there's not a disposition and penalties before the game,  I am tuning out.  Also,  don't know how true it is but rumor has it that Brady's retiring this year.

it's not 70%, but you do have a point, lots of casual people watch the game.

Speaking of which; how do you think those casual fans feel about Ray Rice, AP, and now this? But yeah, some pink hand towels will solve all that. NFL is screwing themselves here. 

The Ray Rice saga just might help with Goodell coming down with stiff penalities against the Patriots.  A stiff penalty may help Goodell gain back some creditibility

Start a petition...I'll sign it..

If it gets large enough you may begin to see advertisers come out publicly against the cheating...then you may see some movement.

There's a petition going around on another site that I blog on.  

Archived