Kiper downgrades Jets 2014 Draft Grade..Was there any doubt?

32EBoozer

A Questionable Draft evaluated by a questionable Draft "EXPERT".....

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/23/7876877/mel-kiper-downgrades-jets-draft-grade

ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper has been busy regrading the 2014 NFL draft for all NFL teams and he knocked the Jets down from a B to a C+

We've spoken at length about mock draft, early draft grades and judging a class far too early. So everything you read below, take with a pinch of salt.

Every year Mel Kiper revisits his initial post draft grades after the season. He then offers up a new grade, taking into consideration the first year of the players career.

Jets post draft initial grade: B

Jets grade one year on: C+

Mel Kiper's conclusion: There is going to be a misconception about this dropped grade. Let me dispel that quickly, because I hear "struggled" when this player's rookie year is described, pretty much all the time. The truth: Calvin Pryor was just fine as a rookie. He was better than a league-average safety, and in a league where safeties and corners look bad all the time as they adjust to the speed and technical ability of receivers, tight ends and backs running at them -- remember Dee Milliner's rookie year, Jets fans? -- Pryor wasn't remotely bad. He just wasn't a star, had his ups and downs in coverage, and assuming he improves, he can be a really good player. He wasn't a bad pick. Jace Amaro caught 38 passes (tied for second on the team) and if he can ever find chemistry with whomever is at QB, can be a good one. Dexter McDougle got hurt, so that's just bad luck.

Where this draft suffers is New York simply didn't find even the hint of a playmaker at wide receiver when so many others did. They took Pryor when Brandin Cooks was available (excusable), McDougle instead of John Brown or Donte Moncrief, then both Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans in front or Martavis Bryant. Heck yes, this is total hindsight, but that's what an early re-grade is. I wrote then, "I thought the Jets did a nice job with my one question being whether they really added a player in the passing game that will scare defenses." Amaro is a start, and a trade for Percy Harvin that came too late helped, but there was some bad luck and missed opportunities. There's nothing really to be said yet for the many late lottery ticket picks they had. The fact that the team struggled so much doesn't help, either.

I find it hard to disagree with anything that Kiper said here. Pryor started off very shaky but came on towards the end. Although his bad angles (see Minnesota) do give up the big play far too often. I was delighted with Amaro and I'm expecting great things. We said it at the time but Dexter McDougle was a reach and I think we may end up regretting that selection but we won't know for a year or two.

The wide receiver selections really killed us in this draft. Most of them were either hurt or cut and we didn't take Cooks when we had the chance, or Benjamin for that matter. . I think this is a very fair assessment of the draft and how I personally view it a year on. As always, lets wait another year or two before making final judgements.

I'm surprised he needed so many words to summarized sh*t everyone knows already.

Not sure many people know Pryor wasn't that bad last year.

I think we'll all feel alright when it turns out guys like Moncrief aren't really that good, and Pryor/Amaro are studs. Both still carry that po-ten-tial.

Grading a draft before end of Season 3 of that draft class is plain and pure stupid. Oh wait.........Kiper has got to make a living writing useless articles.

If Pryor improves from here, McDougle can stay healthy and Evans fixes his hands, not to mention Enunwa or IPK or Trevor O'Reilly or Dozier all of whom could make enough strides to be become legit starters the 2014 draft class could be stellar. Gotta remember at this point of time last year i do not think anyone had penciled Aboushi as a starter. So too early to say.

I think we'll all feel alright when it turns out guys like Moncrief aren't really that good, and Pryor/Amaro are studs. Both still carry that po-ten-tial.

Almost any WR will be made to look competent with Luck throwing the ball. Moncrief mostly ran post patterns. .. not a very complex route tree

Grading a draft before end of Season 3 of that draft class is plain and pure stupid. Oh wait.........Kiper has got to make a living writing useless articles.

i can speak from experience... everyone knows these post draft grades are garbage but there's a reader demand for them. For years  i refused to do it because of your reasoning and "Integrity" but there is no integrity in the NFL it's all entertainment. The day after the draft this is how people get their entertainment. 

He seems to be defending high grades he had on Pryor and Amaro prior to the draft a little bit. The Jets had 12 draft picks last year, and got practically no contributions whatsoever after the second round. Lots of opportunity for results, yet, no results. It was a bad draft.

The dismantling of the CB position in Idzik's two years is troubling. He arrived, and had Revis and Cromartie. He traded Revis (almost certainly mandated by the owner), let Cro go, and replaced them with Milliner, McDougle, and Patterson. Now, Patterson is long gone, and Milliner and McDougle -both injury prone players in college- were lost to very serious injuries last year. Injuries that put their ability to perform at an NFL level any time soon (if at all) in jeopardy. The Jets need to go after a top CB in this year's free agent market but, unfortunately, it's not nearly as attractive a market as it was last year when the team was so terrific at not spending any money.

Interesting to see it downgraded so little, would've thought D+. 

I'm surprised he is publishing draft downgrades 1 year in, when the cardinal rule is 3 years. Seems like he's pandering to the fans and the immediate reaction/conclusion nature of today's PFT NFL.

I'm surprised he is publishing draft downgrades 1 year in, when the cardinal rule is 3 years. Seems like he's pandering to the fans and the immediate reaction/conclusion nature of today's PFT NFL.

I think Bit's right though...people eat this stuff up.  NFL is just a friggin' monster.

i can speak from experience... everyone knows these post draft grades are garbage but there's a reader demand for them. For years i refused to do it because of your reasoning and "Integrity" but there is no integrity in the NFL it's all entertainment. The day after the draft this is how people get their entertainment.

When you're a Jets fan it's how you get your football entertainment after November.

i can speak from experience... everyone knows these post draft grades are garbage but there's a reader demand for them. For years  i refused to do it because of your reasoning and "Integrity" but there is no integrity in the NFL it's all entertainment. The day after the draft this is how people get their entertainment. 

I understand that its something the average football fan wants.  I just consider most people here to be more than average football fans and quiet a few have exceptional knowledge of the game. I just don't think such articles fly over here.

See what Bowles does with Pryor. He had a very similar player in Deon Bucannon last year, another rookie SS. He had him all over the place, and he had a pretty good rookie year. 

Pryor is a small in the box safety. He will never be a guy like Bucannon that can play in space and be in coverage. 

Its clear that Kiper did not watch much of the Jets this season. 

Amaro looked like a Jag. He doesn't block nor does he stretch the field. He drops a ton of easy balls. Dustin Keller was a league average receiving tight end when it comes down to it Im not sure Amaro will ever be as good as Keller was as a receiver. He seems like a guy that may never be special but will contribute. 

Pyror on the other hand looks like he shouldn't be on the field. Played the majority of snaps all season minus a game or two and he had zero big plays. zero big stops. Can't remember him stopping more then a handful of passes. Was completely invisible except when being burned or run over. His biggest hit was against his own teammate. Looks like a complete bust. 

What I fear about Pryor was Rex system is one of the last in the NFL to favor a in the box safety at all times. Other systems like the one we are getting may demand more coverage for safeties which would be terrible for Pyror. Because in a system that seems made for a player like him he spend the entire season being picked on, getting scored on and getting run over by guys like Brandon Oliver. 

Next year there will be no allegiance to these former picks that Rex played regardless of how bad they were. I do hope guys like Pryor improve but if he doesn't he needs to be on the bench. The best player needs to be on the field period and since Bowles has a history will Jarrett it will be interesting who wins that job.  For now though people should feel better knowing our new GM immediately cleaned house and these types of drafts are done with. 

I agree with you.   I am also interested to see what Macdougle can to lesser degree Shag Evans can do next season.  Mac my have been considered a reach by some, but by all accounts he looked good in training camp and who knows how he would have fared if he hadn't got hurt.   Amaro looked real good the last few games of the season and I can't wait to see how Pryor does with Bowles coaching him up and putting him positions where he can maximize his strengths. 

He seems to be defending high grades he had on Pryor and Amaro prior to the draft a little bit. The Jets had 12 draft picks last year, and got practically no contributions whatsoever after the second round. Lots of opportunity for results, yet, no results. It was a bad draft.

The dismantling of the CB position in Idzik's two years is troubling. He arrived, and had Revis and Cromartie. He traded Revis (almost certainly mandated by the owner), let Cro go, and replaced them with Milliner, McDougle, and Patterson. Now, Patterson is long gone, and Milliner and McDougle -both injury prone players in college- were lost to very serious injuries last year. Injuries that put their ability to perform at an NFL level any time soon (if at all) in jeopardy. The Jets need to go after a top CB in this year's free agent market but, unfortunately, it's not nearly as attractive a market as it was last year when the team was so terrific at not spending any money.

How can you say its a bad draft after just one season?  I understand your points but I do believe you need to give these players a little more time before you come to that conclusion.   I will be very interested to see this draft class's development under Bowles. 

As we stand today the draft grade should be "F" and the first sentence should read something like; After clearing cap space and accumulating 12 draft picks there was not a single full time starter or impact player in this draft and no future draft picks, the GM and HC were fired!  

There is some potential talent left over from this draft that a new GM/HC may be able to build upon but the first year was a fail

The Jets had 12 picks 12, and have no idea how to draft, they should have moved up, in the most Stacked Wide receiver draft I can ever remember, we got zero! Amaro and Pryor are stiffs.

The rest of the draft, well some may make the 53 man roster that's all I can say. It P@ssed me off, we could have used that 4th we wasted to move up over the Giants for OBJ.

Anyway Idiotz and Wrex are gone, so lets hope these guys are better at Drafting.

Archived