If you were NFL Commish, what changes would you make? (Not just Pats stuff)

SouthernJet

-Ball boys are NFL employees who are not allowed to work games in their hometown or for the team they root for.

-Defensive penalties such as Illegal Contact and other 5 yard & Automatic 1st Down penalties are now just 5 yard penalties and the down is repeated.  No more of this illegal contact on a 3rd and 20 resulting in a 5 yard penalty and a 1st Down.

-NFL referees are now full-time employees and are better compensated than they are now (no idea what they make, but I'm giving them a raise).  In exchange for that, they are expected to do a heck of a lot better job.

-Dean Blandino would be fired, along with the rest of the high-ranking executives of the NFL.

-Games in London are cancelled.  IF, and that's a big IF, there are to be international games, they are on rare occurrences, and they are in Canada or Mexico City.  No division games would be allowed to be played outside the borders of the United States unless expansion occurred to another country.

-Former players are better taken care of.  A percentage of the league profits from each year would be put into a fund.

-Kickoffs move back to the 30.

-No more Thursday Night Football.

-New rule that dictates no two NFL teams are allowed to permanently share a stadium.  Enforced for everyone but the Jets and Giants immediately, they become subject to it once MetLife Stadium has been standing for 15 years.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Obviously I would come down hard on Pats w/circumstantial evidence (JGBs , is this legal?) and suspend Belly 1 year aka Sean Peyton w/the ignorance no excuse rule

- I would stop being so damn cheap and hire NFL employees to sequester / manage gameballs for both teams as opposed to Home Team employee owns job

- I would stop being so damn cheap and hire NFL employees to manage the Game Clock as opposed to current rule of Home Team employee owns job..

- I would make College players wait 1 extra year to declare, as our new GM said, MOST come into league now 'not ready'

- My MAIN change would be to stop cheap owners from bleeding their fans while padding wallets. The owners make money on day One when they are paid their share of TV rights. All other stuff is gravy. So there is a minimum % of cap money  owners have to spend. But what they dont spend is money in their pocket. 

****MY CHANGE: With-hold 10-20% of TV revenue money,  and that only goes to teams that make playoffs. Equally distributed on  last day of regular season.The teams that are wildcards get same % as SB winner. It's a 'competitive' bonus' This may make some 'hold my cap cheap owners spend a tad more cap money to get team JUST competitive enough to make the playoffs, aka a 9 win team goal. Incentive even if its 3-4 million more for that 1 extra Free Agent. Good for fans. 

I say to the smartest NFL Forum fanbase in NFL add your own  'I am Commish an dhere are the new changes' ideas..................

What group of owners would want to hire a guy who is supposed to defend their interests who's main change would be with holding TV revenue money from 20 teams that don't make the list season every year?

-New rule that dictates no two NFL teams are allowed to permanently share a stadium.  Enforced for everyone but the Jets and Giants immediately, they become subject to it once MetLife Stadium has been standing for 15 years.

Curious as to your rationale for this. 

As someone who works in the service industry, Friday is a bad day for NFL. 

Friday is the day you go out with your co-workers to bars. Of all your co-worker friends, how many are really NFL fans? 

Friday is the day you get home and order a pizza (All you Catholics know what I mean), maybe have a few friends over. 

Friday is either early or late, but not prime time. 

And if you have kids, Friday night is awful. 

Start NFL Network 2/3/4/5 and make sure all games are available on these channels.

Do away with NFL Sunday ticket.

Abolish fantasy football. Takes up a lot of productive time of the nation. And yes you can never become a GM. Accept it.

Force Kraft to sell his team like Donald Sterling.

Ban BB and Brady forever.

FIle a lawsuit against Goodell, Belicheat, Kraft, and Brady for tarnishing league's image.

Get rid of useless talking heads like Heath Evans and Warren Sapp  from NFL Network and start over.

Make Katy Perry an annual feature at Super Bowl halftime.

Ensure every fan entering the stadium gets one free beer from the owner.

Eliminate fantasy football?  That might be the worst suggestion in the whole thread.  Fantasy football has been massively beneficial to the league.  

As someone who works in the service industry, Friday is a bad day for NFL. 

Friday is the day you go out with your co-workers to bars. Of all your co-worker friends, how many are really NFL fans? 

Friday is the day you get home and order a pizza (All you Catholics know what I mean), maybe have a few friends over. 

Friday is either early or late, but not prime time. 

And if you have kids, Friday night is awful. 

Friday would increase business and alcohol sales at bars. 

Just because football is on means families can't order pizza? 

High School football is played on Friday Night and Pop Warner on Sundays 

Friday would increase business and alcohol sales at bars. 

Just because football is on means families can't order pizza? 

High School football is played on Friday Night and Pop Warner on Sundays

Again, I do this for a living. Friday night NFL would make very spot have to choose what direction they want to go in on Fridays. You want the after work people or the NFL people, because they aren't the same. Im speaking from a Manhattan standpoint, BTW. It may be different in other places. But if 8 people walk on (4 guys 4 girls) and NFL is on, that party isn't all staying the full 3 hours.

Curious as to your rationale for this. 

Several reasons, although the main idea just stems from hating the fact that the Jets don't have their own stadium.

The main reason being that, in a $9 billion-plus industry, there should be money for each team to have a stadium.  For as much as these franchises are worth now and for as much money as these owners have, there's no reason that each team can't get its own stadium.  

3 steps is equal to 2 steps and a football move.  I don't like the cowboys but that was a catch, i don't care what anyone says.

Move the kick offs back to put returns back in the game.

Move the draft back to its original time in april.

Season ticket holders don't pay for parking

No PSLs

Make an NFL comite that makes decisions on punishments handed out so no one can spare their buddy or game the system.

NFL teams experiencing media problems don't have to grant access to that newspaper or tv show until that party agrees to act with integrity again.  the team could submit an application to the league office that makes them aware of the problem and the nfl would determine if the problem was legitimate enough to ban the paper.  A sarcastic remark or valid criticism wouldn't be opened for banning.  Personal attacks and obvious agendas would be.

You're aware that the Commissioner work for, and is the representative of, the Owners, right?

Your ideas aren't bad, per se, just completely unrealistic given the real world and all.

If I am the Commish, here is my list:

1. 20 Game Season, no Preseason.

2. 65 man roster, all active every week.

3. Return to "old school" rules about QB contact.  Hitting the QB is legal again.

4. Return to the Old School Rules on DB's and Contact. I.e. less ticky-tack pass interference, more blatant pass interference.

5. Pass Interference now a 10 yard penalty.

6. Teams who move cities leave their name and history behind, and start fresh as expansion team, no exceptions.

7. 85% of Cap Floor.  Failure forfeits your entire next years draft class.

8. Donate an entire years Owners Profits to fund Retired Player Benefit Accounts/Healthcare.

9.  While I'm at it, move Jacksonville to Portland, Oakland back (permanently) to LA.  

10. Re-Start the Euro-Minor League.

Thats a decent start IMO. 

yes warfish i know commish works for owners, this is for fun ... nice list

1290449_o.gif

Interesting that nobody's suggested moves to address head injuries.

I think we'd all love to but it's hard to imagine any of us could suggest something better than a doctor or a physicist.  I just don't know anything about it.  I think they've come as far as they can with the rules on this subject, the equipment has to evolve next.

If I were to add another NFL franchise besides in Los Angeles. I would try to add/move a team to Hawaii. And I would work the schedule so that the jet lag will not be a problem for teams going there and for the team going on the road.

For example, if the Hawaii team had to play at the Meadowlands against the Jets, I would schedule a game against the Chargers firs so it wouldn't be an immediate jet lag problem. And vice versa

If I were to add another NFL franchise besides in Los Angeles. I would try to add/move a team to Hawaii. And I would work the schedule so that the jet lag will not be a problem for teams going there and for the team going on the road.

For example, if the Hawaii team had to play at the Meadowlands against the Jets, I would schedule a game against the Chargers firs so it wouldn't be an immediate jet lag problem. And vice versa

hawaii team might be attractive to free agents!!!!!!!!

Eliminate the 2 min warning. College doesn't even have it. All it is a co-timeout and another excuse for commercials.

No nets behind the goal posts. God forbid someone gets to go home with a ball.

No more Europe

No more months of pandering for a group nor cause. A week? Cool. A month? No.

Hard suspensions for egregious fouls.

QBs will be treated like football players again

Lighten up on Def PI. Its a sickness at this point.

Guys yelling for flags get one themselves.

Good list.  Except for the one I highlighted.  Those aren't balls those be evidence at this point.  LOL

Move the season back a week, add another bye week, and have the Super Bowl fall on the Sunday before Presidents' Day every year.

They may still have a schedule like that if it goes to 18 games. 

Set only a salary floor, no cap.

Make salaries half guaranteed , and prorated if you cut a player after 8 games. 

Vest pensions when player qualifies as being a roster for 30 regular season games or disabled. 

Make practice squad time valid for the above.

Give retired players a good medical plan upon retirement.

Require teams playing on Thursday get a bye the prior week. Or otherwise move those games to Friday night. 

Schedule some Saturday day and night games after Thanksgiving.Unless the NCAA goes to 8 teams might impact that(which it will), chang that up a bit. . 

If you pay Goodell $26 million for screwing the pooch on a daily basis, show us all the books. Calling the NFL a not for profit is a national embarrassment.

To avoid another losing team in the playoffs, require division winners to have at least a .500 record. if they don't, their playoff spot goes to the next best record in either conference. 

Make a point of making stadiums fan friendly. Demand more reasonable parking, tickets and less nonsense security. 

I like the Thursday night games I just hate the hypocrisy of the whole nfl concussion withchunt/corporate shakedown.

i dont like them caiuse players look sluggish and they ar eon record saying friday is usually 1st day after sunday games they feel limber, soreness gone..

plus harder to get all the guys to the bar midweek for late game :)

Archived