Tyler Varga: RB Yale

Villain The Foe

I have wanted a FB like Richie Anderson since he left. I hope they draft Varga and use him in that role.

Its funny, because if we go spread I dont know if we'll hold a FB, but at the same time Varga showed much versatility last night lining up at 3 different positions (RB, FB, TE). This guy is going to be a fan favorite for an NFL team. He'd look good as a Jet. 

Shonn Greene ran a 4.62 40 and we drafted him in the 3rd round.  Not saying we do that with Varga but if he's there in the 6th round I'd take a shot at him.

Most RBs average around 4.5 4.6. Greene is also 10lbs heavier then Varga 235-225 as well as .2 faster. The Jets also have Bohanon and Connor so there's no need for an undersized FB.

If he does well at the combined hell get picked up late but if he's running high 4.8s 4.9s I don't see it happening.

Most RBs average around 4.5 4.6. Greene is also 10lbs heavier then Varga 235-225 as well as .2 faster. The Jets also have Bohanon and Connor so there's no need for an undersized FB.

If he does well at the combined hell get picked up late but if he's running high 4.8s 4.9s I don't see it happening.

Why do you assume he runs a 4.9 40?

He's a 3rd down back.  RB in the NFL is more about being able to find the crease and explode than it is about straight line speed.

Slow and small for slow doesn't make it in the nfl. If he has a bad 40 he might even be drafted.

Shonn Greene ran a 4.62 40 and we drafted him in the 3rd round.  Not saying we do that with Varga but if he's there in the 6th round I'd take a shot at him.

I think the two of you both have points, the difference with Varga is that though he isn't the fastest, he has a knack for finding the hole and he seems to break a lot of tackles, something that Shonn Greene as a Jet never did. Shonn Green's yards after point of contact was like the worst in the NFL at one point. Granted, he did have some huge broken tackles at key moments (Ask Cromartie or the Patriots in the playoffs), but he was never consistent. The first guy that made it to Greene made the tackle 90% of the time. There's a place in the NFL for Varga and a 3rd down back seems about right given his solid hands from the backfield and ability to find the hole and break tackles. 

Archived