Jim Miller Breaks Out The Rule Book - Nate Solders Touchdown Was Illegal Vs. The ravens

Persiussa

oops, meant to say Colts, sorry guys.

Jim Miller says Nate Solder's TD catch shouldn't have counted vs. Colts

By Ryan Wilson / CBSSports.com

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24986663/jim-miller-says-nate-solders-td-catch-shouldnt-have-counted

Good news for those of you suffering full-on Deflategate fatigue: Here's a story about something other than under-inflated balls.  But it's bad news for those of you who don't want to hear about more Patriots shenanigans during their run to the Super Bowl. Either way, you've been warned.

The latest, via Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan of SiriusXM NFL Radio: Remember that 16-yard touchdown pass from Tom Bradyto left tackle Nate Solder in the AFC Championship beatdown over the Colts? Yeah, that shouldn't have counted.

"The play before the Nate Solder touchdown, No. 71 (Cameron Fleming) declared himself as an eligible receiver," Kirwan said. "The next play, he stays in the game, which is now where the rule is going to be stressed and probably broken ... and he became an ineligible receiver. He had to leave the game."

"He's supposed to leave the game," Miller added.

"He didn't leave the game and No. 77 (Solder) became eligible, which automatically made No. 71 ineligible, but he had to leave the game," Kirwan continued. "They let the play move on and it was a touchdown. So the officials under our understanding of the rules -- and we've been reading the rules all morning -- it appears that (New England) got away with one. And touché to the Patriots for scoring the touchdown."

Later in the segment, Miller read the rule in question from the rule book: "If the player has been withdrawn for one legal snap, a player withdrawn for one legal snap may reenter at a position indicated by the eligibility status of his number, unless he again reports to the referee that he is assuming a position other than designated by the eligibility status of his number."

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every play in every game during this unprecedented run by New England will be given as much relevance as those 136 HRs hit by Mark and Sammy during the 1998 season. And you know what? They DESERVE all of the stuff that will be coming their way in a historical light. Someday, someone is going to spill the (Boston baked) beans and what will come out will shock the football world. Roger Goodell's day is fast approaching too, as a complicit ally.In the meantime I'd like to see some kind of a movement created in protest-my own personal one starts with the game not being watched in this household.

Goodell standing smiling with Kraft and the Lombardi trophy with confetti comjng down next week is going to get him fired...I'm amazed he's this stupid .

Who's going to fire him?

The problem is his bosses are owners and he's doing their bidding.

He's not making the call here. He's doing what the "power" owners tell him to do.

Honestly, the league has become a joke - still fun to watch but I dont think I can take it seriously any more.

Goodell is tainting the super bowl by not suspending BB and Brady...this is going to blow up in his face and I'm going to love every minute of it....he's in on this with the Pats...no way there not some other owners who don't feel the same way we all do....difference is they are billionares and have the power to get him out....I'm shocked he's this stupid , he has an oppurtunity to regain the public trust and he blew it..and blew it epically.

Who's going to fire him?

The problem is his bosses are owners and he's doing their bidding.

He's not making the call here. He's doing what the "power" owners tell him to do.

Honestly, the league has become a joke - still fun to watch but I dont think I can take it seriously any more.

I respectfully disagree, no way there's not owners who are disgusted by this..but we will see.

Goodell is tainting the super bowl by not suspending BB and Brady...this is going to blow up in his face and I'm going to live every minute of it....he's in on this with the Pats...no way there not some other owners who don't feel the same way we all do....difference is they are billionares and have the power to get him out....I'm shocked he's this stupid , he has an oppurtunity to regain the public trust and he blew it..and blew it epically.

I can think of three owners who are right there with us fans not real happy with Goodell and the tricks being played by the Patriots org. 

1-Steve Biciotti owner of The Ravens

2-Woody Johnson Jets

3-Jim Irsay, Indy and

4-you have to think that the Rams even under new ownership can't be too enthralled with what the cheaters have done to the team's legacy when it taped their practices before the Super Bowl

I can think of three owners who are right there with us fans not real happy with Goodell and the tricks being played by the Patriots org. 

1-Steve Biciotti owner of The Ravens

2-Woody Johnson Jets

3-Jim Irsay, Indy and

4-you have to think that the Rams even under new ownership can't be too enthralled with what the cheaters have done to the team's legacy when it taped their practices before the Super Bowl

Add Panthers owner Add rams owner  Add Raiders owner  Add Iggles owner

This Super Bowl is a perfect game for the refs to actually call holding on Pats OL multiple times, the shell game BS will not be allowed like prior games, and revis should get a few holding calls as well

I respectfully disagree, no way there's not owners who are disgusted by this..but we will see.

In this situation Goodell is going to do what's best for Goodell. Not necessarily what's right.

He'll do what he thinks will save his job. If that's kicking BB out of football or simply turning his back....

Kraft, Mara, Rooney are all in the same club and it seems Jerry Jones has been trying to get in - these guys weild all the power. Unless there's some type of revolt against those guys nothing's going to change.

This Super Bowl is a perfect game for the refs to actually call holding on Pats OL multiple times, the shell game BS will not be allowed like prior games, and revis should get a few holding calls as well

Honestly, that's the biggest punishment they could apply. Tell the refs to no longer give the Pats favorable team status and call the games fairly. Between that and fully inflated balls and no video taping - you'll see this powerhouse become very pedestrian.

oops, meant to say Colts, sorry guys.

Jim Miller says Nate Solder's TD catch shouldn't have counted vs. Colts

By Ryan Wilson / CBSSports.com

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24986663/jim-miller-says-nate-solders-td-catch-shouldnt-have-counted

Good news for those of you suffering full-on Deflategate fatigue: Here's a story about something other than under-inflated balls.  But it's bad news for those of you who don't want to hear about more Patriots shenanigans during their run to the Super Bowl. Either way, you've been warned.

The latest, via Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan of SiriusXM NFL Radio: Remember that 16-yard touchdown pass from Tom Bradyto left tackle Nate Solder in the AFC Championship beatdown over the Colts? Yeah, that shouldn't have counted.

"The play before the Nate Solder touchdown, No. 71 (Cameron Fleming) declared himself as an eligible receiver," Kirwan said. "The next play, he stays in the game, which is now where the rule is going to be stressed and probably broken ... and he became an ineligible receiver. He had to leave the game."

"He's supposed to leave the game," Miller added.

"He didn't leave the game and No. 77 (Solder) became eligible, which automatically made No. 71 ineligible, but he had to leave the game," Kirwan continued. "They let the play move on and it was a touchdown. So the officials under our understanding of the rules -- and we've been reading the rules all morning -- it appears that (New England) got away with one. And touché to the Patriots for scoring the touchdown."

Later in the segment, Miller read the rule in question from the rule book: "If the player has been withdrawn for one legal snap, a player withdrawn for one legal snap may reenter at a position indicated by the eligibility status of his number, unless he again reports to the referee that he is assuming a position other than designated by the eligibility status of his number."

I for one think this is what the NFL wants.  That is there are certain teams and players that the league now currently favors. 

Unfortunately for the NFL it is now out in the open and people can see that the games while maybe not fixed per se are without a doubt are tilted to certain teams, players and organizations, Period.

I am sure at some level it was always this way even in my more naïve days of NFL fandom but now under Goodell and the Patriots the rot is coming to the surface and it is eroding the underlying structure of the game.

Whilst some might say "it is no big deal" many fans of certain teams who, like Jets fans, have suffered decades of this sort of structural inequity will find time to do other things with their money.

Picture this,

Cheaters extraordinaire NEP "win" the Superbowl this year.

Wouldnt it be great if the fans staying in the stadium  for the post game trophy presentation stay and boo thier focking heads off and drown those cork soakers out on national TV maybe chanting something like "CHEATERS SUCK CHEATERS SUCK"

Had this not happened, all of this bad press and anti-Pats sentiment exploding nationwide (except of course in New England) the Pats were about to be rewarded another Lombardi Trophy, no matter what it would cost. The refs would be making the same kind of favorable calls like we saw when they were just GIVEN a first down after being stopped. The league and the refs have been complicit all year, blatantly complicit in favoring the Patriots "legacy building" that had been going on ALL year. Anybody wonder why it is that every media source was picking the Patriots to be World Champs since training camp?

All I can say is I truly hope that Seattle kicks the sh!te out of Brady and New England. Rest assured Jets fans-the rein of the evil empire is coming to an end-soon.

Can we have one huge "Jealous Jet Fans Trying Desperately To Find Anything To Make The Pats Look Bad" thread?

You guys are ******* sad.

Hey Mick THEY'RE the ones who are coming to OUR team's message boards all of these years for the express purpose of rubbing our faces in it. They deserve any and all the bad being directed at them and their cheating-ass team. Have YOU ever gone to a Patriots board in the past 16 years Mick? yea, me neither.

Can we have one huge "Jealous Jet Fans Trying Desperately To Find Anything To Make The Pats Look Bad" thread?

I'd find it hard to believe that if the Jets did this instead of the Patriots you wouldn't be highly embarrased and questioning all of the success the team has had in the past.  At this point i even wonder about the Giants runs in the 80's and the 98 Jets.  I'm just being honest.  

Jim Miller and Tony Dungy....famous and notorious jealous Jet fans.

I'd find it hard to believe that if the Jets did this instead of the Patriots you wouldn't be highly embarrased and questioning all of the success the team has had in the past.  At this point i even wonder about the Giants runs in the 80's and the 98 Jets.  I'm just being honest.  

Vinney's helmet didn't score a TD I can tell you that!!

Homefield matters...

Hey Mick THEY'RE the ones who are coming to OUR team's message boards all of these years for the express purpose of rubbing our faces in it. They deserve any and all the bad being directed at them and their cheating-ass team. Have YOU ever gone to a Patriots board in the past 16 years Mick? yea, me neither.

Yes. I tried starting the late night crew at pat nation or something when Max killed it here. I got banned in a week but they still send me happy birthday wishes lol.

If the Pats had beaten the Colts by a touchdown or less, would 'deflategate' be any more meaningful?  Would there be more pressure on Goodell to act before the SB?  The correct answer should be 'no'.  Not since spygate has a team visibly committed more violation of both the spirit and letter of the rules to claw it's way to the SB.  Who knows what else we haven't seen or heard of yet. 

I know for some the ends justify the means, and I supposed I can understand that somewhat.  But exactly how many asterisks does the NFL want clouding its record books,  No matter how much Goodell tries to erase them with a pencil handed to him by Kraft?  With the overwhelming consensus of the coaches, players and broadcasters piling up against the Patriots, I would expect the dialog to only grow if Goodell doesn't act in some material way before the SB.  The punishment might only affect them afterwards, but he just can't keep burying his head or the discussion will never turn towards the actual game on the field.

This is why I think the other owners might be putting the screws to Goodell behind the scenes.  And no matter how far up RG's pooper Kraft has his hands, I think the combined influence of at least Mara, Rooney and a few others like them have to be stronger.  It certainly is making the run-up to the SB a lot more interesting than it might otherwise have been for everyone not in NE or SEA.

That dope doesn't get it

Archived