Jim Miller Breaks Out The Rule Book - Nate Solders Touchdown Was Illegal Vs. The ravens

Persiussa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dungy was wrong about the Vereen play. The reason Vereen can be eligible on the following play was because the Ravens comitted a penalty. A time out is not required if there is an official stoppage of play for the player to move back to his orginal position. Hes also wrong about the Solder TD and LaFell making him ineligible.. We used to use the eligible receiver stuff all the time at the goalline back in the Mangini days. Typically it was Robert Turner but there were times we had others too.

Miller's point is a better one and it depends on where the player lines up and how he reports. When watching the play I thought Fleming lined up off the line which makes his remain eligible, but he would need to report eligible and I am not sure he did. If he did not report eligible than it would be a penalty in either situation.He would either be ilegally in as a tackle  or illegally in as an eligible receiver.

Wow, I didn't realize they started 30 plus Pat threads on the site. **** I didn't even know they posted here.

What's up guys? How's it going?

Yes totally unacceptable to want to talk about the biggest story in American sports right now..what was I thinking, lets talk some more about that UFA the Jets just signed to a futures contract shall we?

I saw this last night , amazing, Dungy saying those eligible plays are mostly all penaltys, but the league does nothing ..

League might issue an apology but that's about it. It's a rule the refs did not catch due to the hurry up. Belicheat will simply say that yes he used those formations/personnel, but he wasn't aware of it being illegal. Case closed with possible off season rule change.

However, when u add all this with deflategate n other rao Belichick has pulled in his career, I think Goodell will be under immense pressure to hand down a few suspensions. I somehow feel Goodell will not do anything and it will eventually end up costing him his job.

I saw this last night , amazing, Dungy saying those eligible plays are mostly all penaltys, but the league does nothing ..

Are the Jets considered cheaters when they always have 12 men on the field?

It's up to the officials on the field to throw flag if there is an illegal formation.

Exactly what do you expect the "league" to do?

He's correct, 95% of the Jets fanbase are the biggest crybabies in the NFL.

And 100% of Pats fans, players, n coaches are cheats and scumbags.

"Oh but deflategate didn't win us the AFCCG". Illegal formations and deflated football against Baltimore certainly did win u the game. Cheatriots were one n done this year without cheating. Hope Seattle makes u their bitch n breaks Brady's inflated ego along with a leg so we can end the Brady era.

League might issue an apology but that's about it. It's a rule the refs did not catch due to the hurry up. Belicheat will simply say that yes he used those formations/personnel, but he wasn't aware of it being illegal. Case closed with possible off season rule change.

However, when u add all this with deflategate n other rao Belichick has pulled in his career, I think Goodell will be under immense pressure to hand down a few suspensions. I somehow feel Goodell will not do anything and it will eventually end up costing him his job.

Nice job...I 100% agree on all points.

Dungy was wrong about the Vereen play. The reason Vereen can be eligible on the following play was because the Ravens comitted a penalty. A time out is not required if there is an official stoppage of play for the player to move back to his orginal position. Hes also wrong about the Solder TD and LaFell making him ineligible.. We used to use the eligible receiver stuff all the time at the goalline back in the Mangini days. Typically it was Robert Turner but there were times we had others too.

Miller's point is a better one and it depends on where the player lines up and how he reports. When watching the play I thought Fleming lined up off the line which makes his remain eligible, but he would need to report eligible and I am not sure he did. If he did not report eligible than it would be a penalty in either situation.He would either be ilegally in as a tackle  or illegally in as an eligible receiver.

Would it be crazy for there to be a rule change (in the offseason), where there has to be a uniform adjustment if you're elligible / inelligible (in contrast to what your number says).  For example, a colored beanie they wear on their helmet, or you wear some kind of penny (like goalies in soccer).

This way:

(1) It would be easy to keep track, from play to play, who is eligible and who isn't eligible.

(2) It would make things a lot less confusing for the *officials* (not to mention the defense).

(3) It's clearer that players have to go out to change their designation.

I really think that the current rules make it extremely difficult for even the refs to keep track of what's going on...

You dopes don't get it. They think it's sad and hilarious that you guys are so obsessed with the patriots.

You are obviously a Pat Troll pretending to be a Jet fan...we are Jet fans and we aren't obsessed with them, we hate them, and once again they are national news with their scummy, cheating ways. I

guess we should ignore it and spew hatred on our team and our own fans as you are always doing or pretending to do.

Also, once and for all, for the millionth time; The Pat Trolls are obsessed with Jet Fans, why else would they (and you) be here?

Add Panthers owner Add rams owner  Add Raiders owner  Add Iggles owner

This Super Bowl is a perfect game for the refs to actually call holding on Pats OL multiple times, the shell game BS will not be allowed like prior games, and revis should get a few holding calls as well

If the Pats suddenly start getting called for holding in the superbowl, and close calls all magically go against them in the superbowl. You have to think that something fishy is going on. And I HATE HATE blaming refs for anything, but if the refs are suddendly anti-patriot in the superbowl after a decade of letting things slide...

Dungy: NFL needs to restrict New England’s substitution game

“The NFL is going to have to do something about the Patriots’ ineligible-eligible substitution game,” former NFL head coach and current

NBC Sports analyst Tony Dungy told PFT by email on Friday. “It is nothing but an intent to deceive and they are doing it very well.  They’re reporting so fast and going so quickly the defense can’t respond.  In fact, the officials can’t keep up.” Lost amid the furor over #DeflateGate is New England’s newfound penchant for playing the ineligible-eligible receiver game. Whether it’s a player wearing an ineligible number reporting as an eligible receiver or a player wearing an eligible number reporting as an ineligible receiver, the Patriots have begun aggressively using the tactic in an obvious effort to confuse defenses regarding who will be running a pass route and who won’t be.

Dungy believes the officials missed at least one foul with this maneuver during the postseason.

“In the Baltimore game, [shane] Vereen reported as ineligible several times,” Dungy explained. “If he stays in the game he must report again and continue to be ineligible. He must come out of the game for one play or there has to be a time out for him to play as an eligible receiver. On the touchdown drive Vereen played one play as ineligible and then played the next play in an eligible position. There should have been a penalty.”

Dungy also believed initially that the officials had missed an illegal formation foul on the Nate Solder play in the AFC title game (as folks like Jim Miller of SiriusXM NFL Radio have suggested), but Dungy has since become satisfied that receiver Brandon LaFell was close enough behind the line of scrimmage to not be “covering up” Solder, who was an eligible receiver on the play.

Dungy also noted that Cameron Fleming, who wears No. 71, had reported as eligible on the play before the Solder touchdown.  Fleming then stayed in the game on the next snap, returning to an ineligible position.  Because, as Dungy explained it, an administrative stoppage occurred between the two plays, Fleming was able to revert from eligible to ineligible.

The broader problem is that the Patriots, specifically against Baltimore, combined the legal ineligible-eligible receiver maneuver with a hurry-up offense to confuse both the defense and the officials.  At field level, the audio from the referee’s microphone isn’t as clear as it is for folks in the seats or who are watching the game at home.  Along with the overall confusion that arises when a team tries to snap the ball quickly, it becomes too much for a defense to fairly process — which is one of the reasons New England does it.

In Dungy’s view, it’s no different than making quick personnel changes in a no-huddle attack or using extra players in the huddle who run off the field seconds before the snap. The defense needs to have a fair chance to know who they’ll be facing, and until the NFL stops the Patriots from deliberately confusing defenses and rushing to the line to snap the ball, the only way to combat the scheme will be for defenses to bend a rule or two of their own.

Dungy said that, if he were coaching the Seahawks, he’d reluctantly tell the players to fake defensive injuries in the Super Bowl to counter New England’s tactic.

“It’s something I’m totally against doing but I would certainly tell my players to do it rather than have the NFL issue an apology the next day after we lost a Super Bowl,” Dungy said, adding he would do it only as a last resort.

The fact that Dungy would even consider that approach proves how strongly he feels about a tactic he believes the NFL should prevent the Patriots from utilizing in Super Bowl XLIX.

UPDATE 1/24/15 7:42 a.m. ET:  Coach Dungy has reconsidered his position for dealing with the substitution ploy. “I apologize for suggesting an illegal tactic to counteract this,” Dungy said via email. “That is not the way to handle it. The proper thing is to address it in the offseason with the Competition Committee. I’m sure that will be done by the coaches but I’m sorry for my comments that weren’t well thought out.”

Because they're having fun ******* with you guys and you make it easy.

Some Jet fans have redheaded stepchild syndrome so bad it's hilarious.

I enjoy watching the Patriots and their fans having to defend another cheating scandal, and that's how most Jet fans feel, you're in the minority if you're sick of it...you think you have it all figured out but amazingly you can't see the water from the boat...Maybe try stopping with the arrogant, know it all act....It ain't working

I enjoy watching the Patriots and their fans having to defend another cheating scandal, and that's how most Jet fans feel, you're in the minority if you're sick of it...you think you have it all figured out but amazingly you can't see the water from the boat...Maybe try stopping with the arrogant, know it all act....It ain't working

You can always block my post.

But go head and keep up your butt hurt because the Pats have been a far better team then the Jets.

normally, before the game the HC always reminds the officials that the other guys are always doing something and getting away with it

a coach might point out that dez bryant pushes off a lot, or that a QB moves his head to draw guys offsides, you get the idea

the seahawks will need a powerpoint presentation for the superbowl, lol

revis holds

fatso is dirty

past* o-line holds every play

the balls are underinflated

the ineligible shell game is illegal

gronk pushes off on the top of every rte

I guess the past* are just soft and can't beat you man on man

normally, before the game the HC always reminds the officials that the other guys are always doing something and getting away with it

a coach might point out that dez bryant pushes off a lot, or that a QB moves his head to draw guys offsides, you get the idea

the seahawks will need a powerpoint presentation for the superbowl, lol

revis holds

fatso is dirty

past* o-line holds every play

the balls are underinflated

the ineligible shell game is illegal

gronk pushes off on the top of every rte

I guess the past* are just soft and can't beat you man on man

LOL

Yea, let's change the rules because HC's like Dungy and Harbaugh are too dumb to defend against legal formations/substitutions.

I'll say one thing, you've got guts continuing on this board and having to constantly defend the cheating . At least you've got lots of practice on it.

Archived