Jets Cornerbacks Next Season

Maxman

The problems at CB last year were well documented. No need to revisit that. My question is for next season. How do you want the Jets to address the position?  Milliner and McDougle are coming back. Nobody knows what McDougle is, so it is hard to count on him for much. But how much should they count on Milliner?

They trotted a lot of guys out there last year. Are you comfortable with anyone of them being the # 3, 4 or 5 guys?

Free agency, draft, or both to bring other corners in?

Milliner should be treated like a ghost heading into free agency. He doesn't exist. Same goes for Dex. Anything, any snap he gives us is a plus but we can't go into the season expecting him to be a starter and be out there an entire season.

Bring in a legit #1 corner (Kareem Jackson), draft a couple of guys late and let Marcus Williams/Dee duke it out for the #2 job.

I liked Marcus Williams and Philip Adams, both played pretty well at times, Wilson is not returning and I'd cut the rest. F.A may be the way the return of Cro?

Basically we can't gamble we need two starting corners. So draft and F.A for me, Dee I think is done, with that Achilles injury. Dexter well we have no idea, but he was not lighting it up before he was injured. May be he breaks the 53.

On a side note I don't want to see Rex's bf Dawan Landry lining up for the Jets again, he makes Zero plays.

One achilles and one ACL. Two serious injuries. You can hope one or both of them can play this year, but I think the team has to address the position with a top free agent at a minimum. McDougle hasn't been on the field an NFL snap, and Milliner showed a little something over the same stretch Geno showed a little something in 2013. Can't depend on either of these guys. 

I don't think any CB ever came back from a torn achilles and played at the same level he did before tearing it, let alone playing even better or at a higher level. Leon Hall is the only CB I can think of right now (even with research) that suffered this injury, that was 2 years ago. He was absolute garbage last year. Not only is Milliner made of glass, now there's another huge questionmark, whether he can get back to who he was and how this injury will affect him in the future.

One achilles and one ACL. Two serious injuries. You can hope one or both of them can play this year, but I think the team has to address the position with a top free agent at a minimum. McDougle hasn't been on the field an NFL snap, and Milliner showed a little something over the same stretch Geno showed a little something in 2013. Can't depend on either of these guys. 

Achilles is 100 times worse than an acl. athletes are coming back as quick as 5-6 months from torn acl's nowadays (my friends 16 year old daughter being one of them lol). the torn Achilles tendon has to be rolled back down and cut straight before being reattached. a doctor friend of mine told me its like cutting the bottom of a mop and then having to reattach all those mop strings. I would be surprised if Milner is ready by opening day. does anybody know how long it took Terrel suggs to come back from his Achilles? that would be a good barometer.

As for the topic, the Jets need two corners (draft one and one fa)

I'm looking to pick up two CB's in free agency.  They would be players our new front office

is familiar with:

Cro

Kareem Jackson

Both we should be able to get for reasonable $$$.  I'm hoping Milliner & McDougle can come

back and stay on the field but I refuse to depend on it.  Then in the draft I would keep my eyes

open for a mid-round CB like:

Steven Nelson

Quentin Rollins

Kevin White

Nick Marshall

Then in camp let them battle it out for playing time:

Cro

Jackson

Milliner

McDougle

Marcus Williams

Darrin Walls

Draft Pick 

One free agent and one mid round draft pick and the unit is solid. You can't expect much from The two coming back from injury, but of those two, Walls and Williams, you're bound to find a. #2 corner. Philip Adams was not as good as Walls or Williams, but he could stick because of injury issues.

And please move Allen back to safety. He was an atrocious corner. Good effort, but terrible outcomes.

Cro was here 2 years ago, he flat out sucked. He can't stay healthy, he's getting older as well. He sucked last year for the most part, he got toasted like crazy, gave up 300+ yards and 3 TDs to Thomas. He has also made some nice plays, sometimes he's in the right spot but he's just not a good cover corner. Wildly inconsistent. I can't believe people would want him back the way he sucked as a Jet in his final year before we got rid of him and then watching him play this year, very inconsistent and in my opinion just bad overall, and on top of that he's still always banged up and he still has those hip issues. Just no.

One free agent and one mid round draft pick and the unit is solid. You can't expect much from The two coming back from injury, but of those two, Walls and Williams, you're bound to find a. #2 corner. Philip Adams was not as good as Walls or Williams, but he could stick because of injury issues.

And please move Allen back to safety. He was an atrocious corner. Good effort, but terrible outcomes.

Walls is terrible ,he plays 20 yards off the WR and gets burn all the time,he is a good nickel but not a starter, the Jets should use a high a high draft pick and take another corner

I'd go with a combo of FA and a draft pick. Lots of FA corners this year like Cromartie, although he'll be 31 soon. I'd like to see Brandon Flowers (SD) who's 28 or Antoine Cason from the Ravens who'll be 29 at seasons start in green and white come September. I love Milliner but I think anything we get out of him next year as a bonus.

I like Flowers and Cro. Cro for a stop gap while hoping Miliner and Mc Doogle can recover and contribute and Flowers cuz he is youngish.

The thing that worries me about Flowers is that his 2013 season was awful when he was asked to play man to man as opposed to 2012 when he played zone. 2014 was a good season for him but I don't pretend to know what kind of scheme SD ran last year or what he would be expected to do in Bowles' system.

Tell me what scheme the Jets plan to run and I will have a better Idea of who I want as the CBs on this team.  If we could somehow get the Hunny Badger to play FS for us next yr, our secondary would be improved without any further additions.

Agree, Allen back to safety, Pryor spends time with Bowles (moves to SS), resign Jarrett to a reasonable deal and/or bring in a FS to replace Landry and the safety position is ok

CB is a mess, Williams earned a chance to come back, Walls played better than Adams and Wilson but they can fight it out in camp for a spot, hope for Dee and Dex to fill another spot between them for a total of 3 CB's on the active roster with no #1 in sight...

Jets may need to bring 4 new CB's to camp (draft and FA) to make sure they have 5-6 on the active roster plus 1-2 on the PS

The injury risk is huge so I think the Jets should go into camp with a bunch of CB's ready for injury, competition and cuts

Achilles is 100 times worse than an acl. athletes are coming back as quick as 5-6 months from torn acl's nowadays (my friends 16 year old daughter being one of them lol). the torn Achilles tendon has to be rolled back down and cut straight before being reattached. a doctor friend of mine told me its like cutting the bottom of a mop and then having to reattach all those mop strings. I would be surprised if Milner is ready by opening day. does anybody know how long it took Terrel suggs to come back from his Achilles? that would be a good barometer.

As for the topic, the Jets need two corners (draft one and one fa)

I understand the difference between the two injuries, at least in layman's terms, but an ACL is still serious business. Revis still isn't back to his old self, and it took him a $16M year in Tampa to get back up to speed. Consider that we're talking about a third round CB who's never played in the league coming off the injury, I'd still consider it to be a significant factor. I can't name any players off the top of my head who missed their entire rookie year and came back to have a strong career.

Considering that Wilson is more than likely to also be gone, a couple free agents might be in order. Jets have a lot of cap space, but just six picks.

Walls is terrible ,he plays 20 yards off the WR and gets burn all the time,he is a good nickel but not a starter, the Jets should use a high a high draft pick and take another corner

However close or far off he played is on Rex and the defensive coaching. He's more than capable of being a nickel CB. Asking him to be a #1 CB is on Idzik. Those guys are gone. We'll see how it goes.

I'm really interested to see what Bowles does with the three young safeties on the roster

(Pryor, Allen & Jarrett).  Because in ARZ he used safeties to be his playmakers in some

of the schemes he ran.  I hope Allen can be saved from all the crap he had to deal with

last year.  Because before Ryan benched him for Ed Reed in 2013 he was really showing

promise

Kyle wilson, Milliner, McDougle, 2 number ones and a 2, plus another number 1 in Prior.  We should have a pro bowl type secondary with those investments instead we have the worst secondary in the league.  No wonder we sucked last year.

The problems at CB last year were well documented. No need to revisit that. My question is for next season. How do you want the Jets to address the position?  Milliner and McDougle are coming back. Nobody knows what McDougle is, so it is hard to count on him for much. But how much should they count on Milliner?

They trotted a lot of guys out there last year. Are you comfortable with anyone of them being the # 3, 4 or 5 guys?

Free agency, draft, or both to bring other corners in?

Not sure about the draft yet, but we already have a couple of young guys. We need two rock solid veterans. I like Kareem Jackson and Perrish Cox. I think they can play the 1& 2 spot, I'm totally consigning on bringing back Cro, but I'd like to see him in the slot at this point of his career. Cro could handle Gronk one on one.

Milliner and McDougle can only be looked at as extra depth at this point.

Archived